Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the tranfer process remain the same in a case like this as I have already heard the mid se will not support pt macs transfer if they choose to. I understand there is an appeals process but clubs may not be prepared to push that hard. Could hamper portlands chances to transfer if no league will let their clubs go as the western border is to remain no less than 7 teams.

Yes it is specifically referred to in the doc which is up on the VCFL website. It's the end of July, the clubs have until August 31 to signify their intention to request a transfer to leave - based upon the report - the VCFL have indicated they will approve the Vic clubs (sans Casterton) moving to the Hampden League if they wish. Hamilton are being directed to the Hampden League, Portland have always been in a position to pick what they want to do and have never given any indication of which way they will go. I'd be thinking they will come to the Hampden League as well. Ultimately the ball is backl in every club and leagues court - there needs to be plenty of communication and common sense to get the best outcome for everyone. Leagues knocking back clearances will be futile this time. If clubs want to go - there will be nothing to hold them back.

Yes it is specifically referred to in the doc which is up on the VCFL website. It's the end of July, the clubs have until August 31 to signify their intention to request a transfer to leave - based upon the report - the VCFL have indicated they will approve the Vic clubs (sans Casterton) moving to the Hampden League if they wish. Hamilton are being directed to the Hampden League, Portland have always been in a position to pick what they want to do and have never given any indication of which way they will go. I'd be thinking they will come to the Hampden League as well. Ultimately the ball is backl in every club and leagues court - there needs to be plenty of communication and common sense to get the best outcome for everyone. Leagues knocking back clearances will be futile this time. If clubs want to go - there will be nothing to hold them back.

Yep, just read the full review...leagues cant knock back transfers. Wbfl to run a u17 and u14 comp on saturday which should help attract new clubs. Western border junior league to continue but under a different age structure.

My understanding is that the wbfl could be as little as 6 teams next year depending on whether these new clubs decide to join. Following that season narcoorte, penola and pt mac will be structured into the comp over the next 2 years if not already.
Both naracoorte and penola are sitting on the wrong side of the kntfl ladder. I cant see them rushing to join next season.

Agreed, but Portland has been for joining the hampden if it came to it ie if the wbfl falls over, but Portland have never had any reason to make a move, until now

East and West both have 5 u/12 teams as well. Just wondering how you start a club from scratch.?
The new club will play in the junior competition for the first couple of years and then progress to the wbfl under age comp and then onto seniors and it will take around 5 years.
On the ground situation I can't see Frew Park being used, not enough room to set up fences around etc but the location itself is excellent. Is there anywhere near the CBD that a new club could go? I would think they need the location to be close to town.

The new club will play in the junior competition for the first couple of years and then progress to the wbfl under age comp and then onto seniors and it will take around 5 years.
On the ground situation I can't see Frew Park being used, not enough room to set up fences around etc but the location itself is excellent. Is there anywhere near the CBD that a new club could go? I would think they need the location to be close to town.

Hell it would take some motivated people to get it going. It's hard enough to find find those motivated people to run the established clubs.
3 years ago they would have recommended the Mount to have3 teams.... West to fold or merge.
They are just dreaming with this 5 clubs in the Mount.

Hell it would take some motivated people to get it going. It's hard enough to find find those motivated people to run the established clubs.
3 years ago they would have recommended the Mount to have3 teams.... West to fold or merge.

I think you have a very good point here BT motivation is not the only problem as money is often the "key" to motivation these days and there is not enough of it around let alone "evenly"spread around. The problems that exist in country football far outweigh the brains present in it IMO.

Location wise frew park would be ideal but from what I can gather asking around it wont be used. There is nothing else available in the cbd but plenty of open spaces on the outskirts of town. I believe the ever growing junior numbers in the mount will easily service 5 clubs but I do understand the concerns of finding people to run a club. It seems we are also expanding our juniors with an extra 2 grades.
Hopefully the sacfl can push through 2 clubs to join us next year.

the problem with the juniors is that you have 100 under 12 then the teams are lucky to get 22 - 26 for under 14 then 20 for under 16. only the kids who want to play footy will stay on thru those junior grades and once they discover their dicks and booze they are gone for good . and part time work hasnt helped either.

Yes you are correct it would take some motivated people to get it going and volunteers are hard to find.
I would think there has to be a plan in place to overcome this, something like a paid CEO of the club, subsidised by the SACFL along with David Heard as a mentor, or whoever the WBFL CEO is, for the first 5-7 years.
There are some excellent initiatives by both SACFL and VCFL in this regard.
Also the first senior coach to be paid a percentage of his contract by the SACFL and that coach to have AFL/SANFL experience for marketing/exposure purposes.
I also believe that starting a new club would also have some people keen to get involved.
The reason why they would start it in the junior ranks would also be to get the parents involved in the club at an early stage and move on from there.
It is certainly not going to be an easy task, but one that can be done.
The big factor in all of this is money. Is there enough sponsorship money in Mt Gambier for all of these clubs to get their slice of the pie? Could the new club be set up somewhere with a pokies venue as their main income?
To run a major league football club it takes somewhere around $130-150,000 so I think there would need to be a massive financial commitment from the governing body right from the get go.
These are just ideas, not saying they will or should be included. You Mt Gambier football followers have a better grip on how it would change the landscape there because initially I was surprised to see that in the review as I didn't think they could sustain 5 clubs.
Also on the comments re u-12 numbers dropping off to under-14 and above, that is the main problem here in Victoria as well. I would have liked the review to come up with a plan to increase player retention at the youth levels because it seems like a trend all over country football.
The AFL needs to put a lot into this because it is a worrying trend.
It is not doom and gloom stuff, but when 50% of under-12 players don't play all the way through to the u-16 level there are problems.

I like your thinking, but the AFL and most probably the councils in Mt Gambier are going to put 0 into this proposal. Unless there is a massive demand for it I can't see why they would build an oval from scratch given the existing facilities in the Mount.

The elephant in the room in the whole report is the future of the district league clubs. Cleaely they are leaving it to each club to come to their own conclusions, save fro Casterton & Sanford. Juniors are great but it will not save senior footy. The AFL simply does not care about the health of senior footy in the country or elsewhere. Auskick is mass participation designed to hook kids in at an early age as supporters of the game. Given the pyramid model they employ, they know that they will get enough kids to get through to TAC level to fill the AFL, after that, it's largely "who cares".

I cannot see where the necessary funds or players will come from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your thinking, but the AFL and most probably the councils in Mt Gambier are going to put 0 into this proposal. Unless there is a massive demand for it I can't see why they would build an oval from scratch given the existing facilities in the Mount.

The elephant in the room in the whole report is the future of the district league clubs. Cleaely they are leaving it to each club to come to their own conclusions, save fro Casterton & Sanford. Juniors are great but it will not save senior footy. The AFL simply does not care about the health of senior footy in the country or elsewhere. Auskick is mass participation designed to hook kids in at an early age as supporters of the game. Given the pyramid model they employ, they know that they will get enough kids to get through to TAC level to fill the AFL, after that, it's largely "who cares".

I cannot see where the necessary funds or players will come from.
Yes that is true.
And I get the feeling as far as the district league clubs are concerned they will just play it out and if a club falls over so be it, that was their hands are clean.
The interesting thing is what is going to happen in the south west as they dont currently have juniors.
There isnt a chance that all of the clubs will be able to get juniors either. All of the "Portland" based teams are no worries and also cavendish, branxholme, coleraine would be good, but what about Dartmoor?
In regards to Auskick that is exactly why the VCFL wanted to take it over, because they know the AFL don't care about development of the game, it is all about getting youngsters registered, which in turn equals direct money to the AFL and future memberships etc.
All you have to do is see how much money the AFL give to AFL Victoria (metro based leagues) compared to the VCFL. I think it is something like 10 mil versus $400,000 a year.

Part of the review process is talking to councils so perhaps they may agree to provide a certain level of funding. They have given a projected deadline to have this club up and running at senior level within 5 years so perhaps investigations are further along then indicated in the report.

South set to pounce on East this weekend and continue to make an absolute mess of this club. Maybe Imps and the demons to make up the five?

Talking to a few north people on the weekend. McConnell almost guaranteed to play a part in the later stages of the finals. I hope he has a helmet made up, cas I'm sure he is going to get some attention. Should stick to the diet he is on, looks like he has shredded a few kg's. Was impressed with north's hardness at the ball, something I haven't seen for quiet sometime! Can only see Portland being the main threat to them, though south seem to be peeking at the right time. Clash between east v south will tell a lot who is serious of making a impact!

Could very well be North V South the way things are turning out.
Hamilton over Portland.
Imps over Millicent at Millicent
Copping single hand-idly beat a brainless east gambier which should see them miss finals again.
East are the whipping boys of the comp it appears to be!

Imps kicked 9 goals in the last quarter to take the game which keeps them in touch with the 5. Looking at the ladder it looks like east will be safe but south could be in trouble - they have the bye then play imps at home. It could come down to percentage. South look like the inform side of the comp leading into finals and may not make the 5.
I believe hamilton and imps have met and will take the vote to their members. Consensus among their players is they will merge!!!
Someone said that west could shape the final 5. Looking at the ladder and percentages that could be possibly true.

Imps kicked 9 goals in the last quarter to take the game which keeps them in touch with the 5. Looking at the ladder it looks like east will be safe but south could be in trouble - they have the bye then play imps at home. It could come down to percentage. South look like the inform side of the comp leading into finals and may not make the 5.
I believe hamilton and imps have met and will take the vote to their members. Consensus among their players is they will merge!!!
Someone said that west could shape the final 5. Looking at the ladder and percentages that could be possibly true.

What drugs are you on!! East will not win another game this season. Imps will beat them next week then they have Portland. South have the bye then will beat Imps at BLSP.
East to miss finals on percentage!! A big call made by M Childs in the Border Watch after East beat North in round 11 "East Gambier WILL be playing finals football this year" We'll see about that!!

M childs is a failure as a coach east are the biggest duds in the competition for the last 25 years a quarter of a century of complete failure!

Portland were going to hold off for a year but this will change things. Where are the sacfl at with negotiating new clubs.
The wbfl flag is going to be a big prize as it looks like it will be the last one.

what a disgrace the VCFL are just ruined a league and only worried about vic side of border, i ashamed to be a vic. all it will mean that 2 other sides come in to a new league and will get flooged. if hamilton and portland think they may be competetive lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back