What Does Local Footy Mean To You?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you a good footballer willing to travel but play for not much $$?

Lol, no crap player who loved it

Knees are shot though, so my footy days are well over

Hate going to AFL and would rather watch it on the telly, but rain, hail or shine you will find me saturday afternoon having a few cans and a hotdog watching a game of local footy somewhere. I dont really have a club but will just pick the match of the day in the edfl and go for a look.

Local footy saved my town.

A mill in the area went bust and were about to lay off 10,000 workers and our footy team, the Chiefs, were doing no better. After years of failure, this was going to be the team's last season. Our exasperated coach let the club's recent acquisitions, the Hanson Brothers, play. The brothers' actively violent and thuggish style of play excited the fans so the coach retooled the team, using violence to draw big crowds. Hang on, sorry, was thinking of Slap Shot the movie.....

Awkward

First played at my local club as a junior in 1997 or 1998. Moved into the senior club not long after, and to 2006 only missed one season as I was concentrating on cricket. Since then have been on and off, depending on my location, and even though the names change it's still the same mateship whenever I'm back playing. Outside of my family, probably the longest association I have is with the club. Got dropped for finals a few years (probably deserved in fairness) ago, and we lost GF by a few goals. Would have given up all three West Coast flags to win that day.

Never played for a club but spent a lot of time at local footy matches with my older brother when growing up. We used to go to just about every home game and once he got his license would drive out around the local area to our away games more often than not. Most clear memory of that is going to see Corrowa-Rutherglen v Wodonga Raiders - we were Raiders fans and just about the only ones there. Thrilling match that the Raiders won by a handful of points and we were going nuts, only to suffer a bunch of disapproving stares and quickly slink off to the car.

Like I said - never played, so I don't know what that's like. Might try it someday, still young enough. Even as a local supporter though it's great to be part of that shared community feeling, to bond with family and mates, to grab a pie, chips and a coke, park near the boundary and lay on the horn whenever the team kicks a goal. Good times.

Best way to get involved is just ask someone if you can run water or be goal umpire - get to know the players and they will respect you for doing the volunteer jobs.
can never have too many volunteers

Hardly local football but I recently moved and now live a few hundred metres from Whitten Oval. Intending to go to a Footscray VFL game some lazy afternoon and see if I like it.

On May 30 I want to do the Richmond VFL vs Essendon VFL at Punt Rd, dinner and drinks at a pub/restaurant nearby, then Richmond vs Essendon at the MCG. That sounds like a fun day and Punt Rd looks nice from the train station.

We're going to be s**t in 2015 so it's as good time as any to see the lower levels.

Last edited:
If saints lose, I'm sh*tty for about half an hour.

If my club loses I'm sh*tty til Thursday.

Thought I might add a bit to follow on from this.

I definitely feel so much more connected to local footy than AFL. Being from a small country town probably has a lot to do with it, as access to see AFL games live is not always possible, but regardless, I'm sure I'd still have a strong connection had i not spent my childhood in the bush.

The local club is a massive part of everyday life for a huge portion of the rural population. From the players (U11 > Seniors), to the volunteers, the netballers and the past players who still get along to games where possible, Saturday afternoon footy is as good as it gets.

The social outlet that a footy club gives to kids is something I think is super important too. For some kids, this will be the only structure they have in their life, given that home-life for some is not as smooth as for the majority. Anything that keeps kids motivated, social, and off the streets is a win in my book.

Also, given the crippling drought that has effected parts of the country, when a country footy club is up and about, the whole town has a positive feel around it, again, sometimes being the only positive thing to keep the farmers getting through week to week.

It's been great to read what others have said, and I am genuinely disappointed for those who have not had the experience of involving themselves in a local footy club, or for those who have had negative experiences. I may have been lucky with the club that I was involved in (note I've never played in a flag with this club) but from reading above it seems the majority offer similar positive experiences.

Great thread OP.

Hardly local football but I recently moved and now live a few hundred metres from Whitten Oval. Intending to go to a Footscray VFL game some lazy afternoon and see if I like it.

On May 30 I want to do the Richmond VFL vs Essendon VFL at Punt Rd, dinner and drinks at a pub/restaurant nearby, then Richmond vs Essendon at the MCG. That sounds like a fun day and Punt Rd looks nice from the train station.

We're going to be s**t in 2015 so it's as good time as any to see the lower levels.
Punt Road Oval looks good from any station:D

Thought I might add a bit to follow on from this.

I definitely feel so much more connected to local footy than AFL. Being from a small country town probably has a lot to do with it, as access to see AFL games live is not always possible, but regardless, I'm sure I'd still have a strong connection had i not spent my childhood in the bush.

The local club is a massive part of everyday life for a huge portion of the rural population. From the players (U11 > Seniors), to the volunteers, the netballers and the past players who still get along to games where possible, Saturday afternoon footy is as good as it gets.

The social outlet that a footy club gives to kids is something I think is super important too. For some kids, this will be the only structure they have in their life, given that home-life for some is not as smooth as for the majority. Anything that keeps kids motivated, social, and off the streets is a win in my book.

Also, given the crippling drought that has effected parts of the country, when a country footy club is up and about, the whole town has a positive feel around it, again, sometimes being the only positive thing to keep the farmers getting through week to week.

It's been great to read what others have said, and I am genuinely disappointed for those who have not had the experience of involving themselves in a local footy club, or for those who have had negative experiences. I may have been lucky with the club that I was involved in (note I've never played in a flag with this club) but from reading above it seems the majority offer similar positive experiences.

Great thread OP.
Great post.Agree with how much a football side is connected with the community,Sadly though its pretty hard these days for towns to keep their kids mainly due to employment issues and so forth.Clubs/Towns never give up even to a point half their senior side is made up of reserves players who already played a game just so 10 or so players get to play a game.but even now they struggle and eventually something has to give.The major Country comps will always survive but the smaller comps get smaller and smaller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post.Agree with how much a football side is connected with the community,Sadly though its pretty hard these days for towns to keep their kids mainly due to employment issues and so forth.Clubs/Towns never give up even to a point half their senior side is made up of reserves players who already played a game just so 10 or so players get to play a game.but even now they struggle and eventually something has to give.The major Country comps will always survive but the smaller comps get smaller and smaller.

Yeah we have that problem. Less farmers around now because the bigger ones have bought them out. So instead of having three families and three farms, it's one family with one big farm. Kids don't stay around now either, you get the odd one staying on-farm but others move away to get a trade etc. In a town that is a pub, a general store, a primary school with less than 30 kids and the silos there's not much opportunity for employment.

We have guys like me who have moved to the general area for work in the bigger centre and travel out to play for the club, but most who move down and are decent footballers get snapped up by the bigger clubs in the area.

Yeah we have that problem. Less farmers around now because the bigger ones have bought them out. So instead of having three families and three farms, it's one family with one big farm. Kids don't stay around now either, you get the odd one staying on-farm but others move away to get a trade etc. In a town that is a pub, a general store, a primary school with less than 30 kids and the silos there's not much opportunity for employment.

We have guys like me who have moved to the general area for work in the bigger centre and travel out to play for the club, but most who move down and are decent footballers get snapped up by the bigger clubs in the area.
Quite sad really,Not sure we have a solution outside a mining type of boom in country areas which attracts employment because like as said its a one way street atm outside of the major comps.

For me I love local footy and have from when I started out in juniors. I love the mate ship and camaraderie that comes from it. Your team can be getting pumped by 20 goals but you can still have a laugh and banter with the opposition. Many good characters, good stories and good people come from a local club.

Being a newbie in NSW the club was a great place to meet people and make new friendships over a Thursday night dinner or feed after a game. Got to play a couple of games as well before deciding to pull the pin after a longer term injury. Will go back again in 2015 and help out wherever possible

I play in the QAFA B up in Queensland. So not the strongest comp.

The club only brought in a senior team last season and I was one of the inaugural players, having last played five or so years previously in school.

On-field for the first half of the season we were doing okay. Won a few games and were generally competitive, but off-field we were getting a really bad reputation around the league as the administration of the club did not know what they were doing and turned plenty against us, not least of all AFLQ themselves.

A half-dozen rounds to go and the team imploded, with most of the players leaving after the coach was sacked. Majority of the players stole playing jumpers too, however most of these have been returned since then.

The last few rounds were great. We got flogged time and time again, and I won't lie, that was hard to take, but only to be expected when that part of the season lined up with playing against the top echelon of teams.

When we had a team, I could barely get a game. I was named one of the best on ground against the Woodsmen, the best team in the comp. The problem with that? I was on the ground for a five minute stretch in the second quarter and the last twenty seconds of the game. I had a total of two rushed handballs at half-forward. So it was hardly deserved.

When everyone walked out, suddenly I was on the field the whole game. And while I was still pretty poor, at least I developed.

Now, heading into a new season, the club has new management, a new, and impressive, coach and a new direction. I'm now considered leadership material and we're building numbers again.

Unfortunately for me, they're also talking about bringing the old coach back in an assistant role. If that goes ahead then I guess I'd best get used to being the boundary umpire again.

Can't win them all right?[/QUOTE

Mate by the sounds of it don't let the coach back next year.

Sadly, nothing. Since moving to the city anyway, country football trumps suburban any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too true. I think it is a combination of the whole club (senior/junior/netball) as well as the fact that wins in country footy have a great feel to them.

Nothing against the city clubs, as I've been involved in some crackers, but country clubs have always been that little bit more enjoyable.

Never played for a club but spent a lot of time at local footy matches with my older brother when growing up. We used to go to just about every home game and once he got his license would drive out around the local area to our away games more often than not. Most clear memory of that is going to see Corrowa-Rutherglen v Wodonga Raiders - we were Raiders fans and just about the only ones there. Thrilling match that the Raiders won by a handful of points and we were going nuts, only to suffer a bunch of disapproving stares and quickly slink off to the car.

Like I said - never played, so I don't know what that's like. Might try it someday, still young enough. Even as a local supporter though it's great to be part of that shared community feeling, to bond with family and mates, to grab a pie, chips and a coke, park near the boundary and lay on the horn whenever the team kicks a goal. Good times.
Summed it up pretty well there.. some of the best matches of my life were on a local level...

Too true. I think it is a combination of the whole club (senior/junior/netball) as well as the fact that wins in country footy have a great feel to them.

Nothing against the city clubs, as I've been involved in some crackers, but country clubs have always been that little bit more enjoyable.

Played at a great country club (via a family connection) and absolutely love the place. City clubs are great, but don't quite have the same appeal.

From age 9 to age 25 (about 2 years after I finished Uni), local footy was THE most important thing. But with travel, full time work and the family, it's just not possible to put aside the time for some of the clubs who now demand two nights of training, as well as early arrival game day and attendance at functions.

I'd love to be able to maintain a more casual approach, but then feel like I'm letting the team down. Realistically you could only do this at a team struggling for numbers and close to home, but then there would be times I'd want to spend with the family and they team would be short of another player.

So I'll go and watch my mates play when I do have the spare time. Currently considering umpiring to get involved and make a spare bit of coin, which is always handy with a mortgage and family. The only real way I could justify to the family making a substantial commitment is if there was money to give back. But I wonder if I'll still feel the mateship, when you're with two or three other umpires rather than a whole team of mates. There are always some you'd get along with better than others.

I guess when I was younger I didn't appreciate this trade-off made by players with families.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back