What industry do you/want work in?

Remove this Banner Ad

haywood jablome

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2007
Jasusadghrh
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm currently studying Geomatics, and looking forward to getting into the Surveying industry over in WA around the mines and even go offshore to do Hydrographic Surveying. I have 1.5 years left in my course.

Arts/Engineering student at Melbourne Uni. Civil engineering to be specific, and my arts major is Spanish. Only first year though, so four and half years left in my course.

I seriously dont want to work anymore. I dont mean I want to be a dole bludger, I want to do something interesting as opposed to earn money. Completely over working for people that dont give a toss about my 'requirements' in relation to a work/family balance.

Yeah I think I am lazy but I cannot be bothered studying to change career and I dont care about the business I work in anymore (the owner doesnt have a clue about how to make it grow and the role is a 'job' and not a career.) I am looking for new work where I dont have to deal with the public (who are in general idiots.)

I'm an english teacher in Japan mainly for kids between 3 and 10, but also have a couple of adult students as well.

When I come home I plan to study Journalism.

studying Journalism at deakin waurn ponds. Want to be a sports journalist.

Screw off...really? I'm a third year Journo student at Waurn Ponds. Not sure about sports writing coz country sport is the most boring crap you can do, but if I could write for a Melbourne paper I'd jump at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screw off...really? I'm a third year Journo student at Waurn Ponds. Not sure about sports writing coz country sport is the most boring crap you can do, but if I could write for a Melbourne paper I'd jump at it.

aha ive so probs seen u around some time :D:D, Journalism 2nd and 3rd years ok?

I'm currently studying Geomatics, and looking forward to getting into the Surveying industry over in WA around the mines and even go offshore to do Hydrographic Surveying. I have 1.5 years left in my course.

I did 4 years in Port Hedland. The money is terrific, and we got housing supplied. We paid off our house in Geelong, brought another block of land, and had some really great holidays o/s.

It's darn hot up there, red dirt everywhere, but the people are great, and it's really social, as most people are out of towners and in the same boat as you are.

We have young kids, and it was hard on them, but if you are single, or have a missus, you could both work, bring home about $150,000 per year between you and live in supplied housing! Great way to start securing your future. As i said, we are both 32, and own our house and a block of land. My wife now doesn't work and stays at home to look after the kids. All because we sacrificed 4 years up in the North West. Well worth it.

I did 4 years in Port Hedland. The money is terrific, and we got housing supplied. We paid off our house in Geelong, brought another block of land, and had some really great holidays o/s.

It's darn hot up there, red dirt everywhere, but the people are great, and it's really social, as most people are out of towners and in the same boat as you are.

We have young kids, and it was hard on them, but if you are single, or have a missus, you could both work, bring home about $150,000 per year between you and live in supplied housing! Great way to start securing your future. As i said, we are both 32, and own our house and a block of land. My wife now doesn't work and stays at home to look after the kids. All because we sacrificed 4 years up in the North West. Well worth it.
I'm single atm and I'm going to be 22 when I graduate. I'm happy to go anywhere, it will be good for me to get out on my own and be independent, that's why I'm interested in travelling over to the west and getting into the industry. How did you get work up there? I'm thinking of doing a graduate program, I haven't met many people in the industry so its hard to know where to go and who to speak to.

Arts/Engineering student at Melbourne Uni. Civil engineering to be specific, and my arts major is Spanish. Only first year though, so four and half years left in my course.

My Arts major was Spanish too, ended up doing an Honours thesis. Keep it up, it's really enjoyable, especially when you can read Spanish books fluently.

I also studied Photography and learnt graphic design on the job, but now I work in IT doing graphic design and Software product support. Obviously I grew up without any clear direction in what I wanted to do. Spent a lot of time working in restaurants and unemployed. Graphic Design competitive and not lucrative.

I'm single atm and I'm going to be 22 when I graduate. I'm happy to go anywhere, it will be good for me to get out on my own and be independent, that's why I'm interested in travelling over to the west and getting into the industry. How did you get work up there? I'm thinking of doing a graduate program, I haven't met many people in the industry so its hard to know where to go and who to speak to.

I work for a multi-national that had an office up there already, so i just transferred.

But really, and i kid you not, get on the BHPB or Rio Tinto websites and register yourself, also contact the major contractors up there, like Connell Wagner etc. If you want to go offshore, contact Woodside. They will give you a job at the drop of a hat. They cannot get labour up there.

I work for a multi-national that had an office up there already, so i just transferred.

But really, and i kid you not, get on the BHPB or Rio Tinto websites and register yourself, also contact the major contractors up there, like Connell Wagner etc. If you want to go offshore, contact Woodside. They will give you a job at the drop of a hat. They cannot get labour up there.
We had an industry night and I had a good chat to the Woodside guy, he sounded really interested in getting me up there for summer vacation work. I am sending in my details as soon as they open up registration for it :D I need to decide if I want to do offshore or more onshore, what is you opinion on the two?

Off shore. The money is much better, and you can fly in/fly out from Perth, all at company expense.
I love the ocean as well, I guess that's for me :D The guy at Woodside was really interested in getting me over there, now I just have to wait until they get the summer vacation program registration open. Thanks for the help :thumbsu:

studying Journalism at deakin waurn ponds. Want to be a sports journalist.

I had the same intent rizzo...studied Arts/Comm majoring in journo, PR and marketing and unfortunately ended up in the world of pharmaceutical marketing (and in sydney too :rolleyes:).
Good luck with it :thumbsu:

I had the same intent rizzo...studied Arts/Comm majoring in journo, PR and marketing and unfortunately ended up in the world of pharmaceutical marketing (and in sydney too :rolleyes:).
Good luck with it :thumbsu:

Doing something similar, studying Communication, majoring in either PR or journalism, don't have to choose till 3rd year. Personally I'd rather journalism, however I'm inclined to think that PR may offer more employment opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back