What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you can't create space with faster ball movement. The space is already there. All quick ball movement does is allow for one v one, if the forwards don't move to separate defenders or take the space, kicks will still go to a contest. Lack of movement in front of the ball ensures no space is created

Forwards and movement creates space no matter how slow the ball movement, when it is done well.

Defensive movement accross the ground tries to close space. Against Melbourne we did neither well

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% correct. What we also don’t do is reset the ground quick enough. Because we tend to try push numbers deep into defence with a full ground zone, we have no forwards to kick to. Once our players are not in the contest they should be setting up for the next play ie starting to slowly work back to our fwd line to make the ground bigger (more space to lead into).
Also I’ve noticed that when we do get the ball, our fwds half pace it back towards our goal. If we insist on playing a full ground zone, they should be sprinting back to open up that space so that they can then reset and come at the ball. This is a coaching issue where they aren’t being taught right.
The other option is to actually keep a tall and a small closer to home so that it drags defenders out and makes the ground bigger.
But all of this means nothing if we don’t move that ball quick enough to not allow a defensive flood back which closes said space.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shocked and very sad to read that Kellett story. He didn’t even have a recorded concussion.

I wonder how many more untold stories like this there are, not just from the AFL comp but also from Ammo’s, state leagues, etc. Will there be a huge wave of these stories emerging in the coming decade? I hope the AFL has ample funds or insurance to provide the necessary compensation.

What a bleak future for him and Sue.

Shocked and very sad to read that Kellett story. He didn’t even have a recorded concussion.

I wonder how many more untold stories like this there are, not just from the AFL comp but also from Ammo’s, state leagues, etc. Will there be a huge wave of these stories emerging in the coming decade? I hope the AFL has ample funds or insurance to provide the necessary compensation.

NRL would be worse, imo. I don’t know how they survive the constant battering every game. And it’s deliberately inflicted, part of the game. At least in our game, the bad collisions are more or less accidental. The only way to avoid any injury is to make the game contact-free, and that can’t happen.

I don’t know how many more people will come forward, hopefully fewer? We’ve been playing Aussie Rules since the 1850’s, eight plus generations without this problem until recently. I don’t know the reasons? Too much money in the game, people doing things they wouldn’t in local footy to stay in the game? Less on the bench to slow the game down to traditional pace? Muscle building and weights, players are way heavier than they were a few decades ago? Why all this now?

I don’t know how many more people will come forward, hopefully fewer? We’ve been playing Aussie Rules since the 1850’s, eight plus generations without this problem until recently. I don’t know the reasons? Too much money in the game, people doing things they wouldn’t in local footy to stay in the game? Less on the bench to slow the game down to traditional pace? Muscle building and weights, players are way heavier than they were a few decades ago? Why all this now?
I think you've nailed it with those reasons FW.

There's also more awareness and concern for brain injury whether sport related or not. And less shame in coming forward to say "I"m permanently damaged."

I recall at least two posters over the years on here implying Nigel Kellett was soft and an outside player. He was quick, and used his speed and evasive skills to get away from opponents, but I never saw him shirk contact.

To read what his life has become is heart-wrenching. Hopefully any former team mates who he has alienated have some compassion and understanding now, and reconnect - they might not have a lot of time to mend broken friendships. 😢

54 is far too young to be going through that scenario (although sounds like it started in his late 40s). Just tragic.

And what is the AFL waiting for?... players like Nigel Kellett to no longer be around so their liability is lessened? Heartless.

BS

"Franklin did not deliver the flag to a team that was often in the frame, but the Buddy monster deal of $10 million over nine years saw the Swans reach three grand finals – they were unlucky in 2016."

"I am over this BS. How was the Swans unlucky? They lost two final games in that year to a side that finished 4th in that season and 7th."

"The 2016 premiership winner won the following final games:"

"1. West Coast Eagles at home, and the Eagles have only lost two finals in their history.
2 Hawks who just narrowly lost to Geelong the week before and had won the last 3 premierships.
3 GWS at home with history suggesting one of the greatest youngest teams put together in the AFL

4 Victory in the 2016 GF against which the Bulldogs lead most of the game

How where the Swans unlucky in 2016 ?

BS

"Franklin did not deliver the flag to a team that was often in the frame, but the Buddy monster deal of $10 million over nine years saw the Swans reach three grand finals – they were unlucky in 2016."

"I am over this BS. How was the Swans unlucky? They lost two final games in that year to a side that finished 4th in that season and 7th."

"1. West Coast Eagles at home, and the Eagles have only lost two finals in their history.
2 Hawks who just narrowly lost to Geelong the week before and had won the last 3 premierships.
3 GWS at home with history suggesting one of the greatest youngest teams put together in the AFL

"they were not good enough in 2016" - fact.

I don't care what anyone says - the 2016 finals run was the greatest in the modern era. What we did on those 4 games was unprecedented and will never be matched.

We were never going to lose that game - we were by far the better side.Half the free kicks were play on advantage anyway, had zero bearing on the result.

Every time I read those sort of comments it is a pleasant reminder of just how magnificent our 2016 flag was.

"they were not good enough in 2016" - fact.

I don't care what anyone says - the 2016 finals run was the greatest in the modern era. What we did on those 4 games was unprecedented and will never be matched.

We were never going to lose that game - we were by far the better side. Half the free kicks were play on advantage anyway, had zero bearing on the result.

Every time I read those sort of comments it is a pleasant reminder of just how magnificent our 2016 flag was.
And that’s all there is to say. No ifs or buts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BS

We were highly unlucky in 2016 with an extremely injury-hit season.

Murphy, Adams, Wallis and Redpath were all injured from our best 22 on Grand Final day. Suckling & Jong were available for selection and arguably best 22, but having been injured in finals, we viewed match fitness, cohesion etc. as more important, but their injuries did impact their ability to be prime for GF day by that logic. Keep in mind that losing those 4 players was still a relatively injury-hit best 22. More than Sydney's, at least. Murphy was coming off an All-Australian, three excellent games when he did his knee. His ACL was certainly 'unlucky'.

That's 6 players in addition to the 22 we had. That same season, we used an additional 11 players beyond those 28 that played 54 games between them (splitting hairs e.g. likes of Koby Stevens who was best 22 ahead of Jong by R1 but not the end of the year). That's more than 2 players, per game, beyond a core of 28 players that would cover any injures in that group of 28.

In contrast, Sydney only used 34 players on the season. The number of total games played by players 29-34 on their list was 22. To our 54.

It's more like 24 not 26 games because we basically had non-stop injures from the moment Easton Wood was a late out ahead of R3 vs. Hawthorn. In the opening two games, we had two dominant wins against good teams in Fremantle and St Kilda. Then we had injures.

I'm fully convinced with a proper injury list, we were that good, we would have given top of the ladder a shake in 2016. In the end, we proved that to be the case in the four finals games with a slightly less injury hit team than what we had from R3 onward.

Anyone who suggests we had "luck" in 2016 is just an idiot, and has an agenda. Add an All-Australian Bob Murphy, among a million other injuries, and I'm fully win 19 games and three finals comfortably, and people will be talking about how great we all are. We still win the flag, obviously, and way we did it with four consecutive win was both a way Bevo motivated the players and part of the club's story, but have to get this off my chest.

We were highly unlucky in 2016 with an extremely injury-hit season.

Murphy, Adams, Wallis and Redpath were all injured from our best 22 on Grand Final day. Suckling & Jong were available for selection and arguably best 22, but having been injured in finals, we viewed match fitness, cohesion etc. as more important, but their injuries did impact their ability to be prime for GF day by that logic. Keep in mind that losing those 4 players was stilThe l a relatively injury-hit best 22. More than Sydney's, at least. Murphy was coming off an All-Australian, three excellent games when he did his knee. His ACL was certainly 'unlucky'.

That's 6 players in addition to the 22 we had. That same season, we used an additional 11 players beyond those 28 that played 54 games between them (splitting hairs e.g. likes of Koby Stevens who was best 22 ahead of Jong by R1 but not the end of the year). That's more than 2 players, per game, beyond a core of 28 players that would cover any injures in that group of 28.

In contrast, Sydney only used 34 players on the season. The number of total games played by players 29-34 on their list was 22. To our 54.

It's more like 24 not 26 games because we basically had non-stop injures from the moment Easton Wood was a late out ahead of R3 vs. Hawthorn. In the opening two games, we had two dominant wins against good teams in Fremantle and St Kilda. Then we had injures.

I'm fully convinced with a proper injury list, we were that good, we would have given top of the ladder a shake in 2016. In the end, we proved that to be the case in the four finals games with a slightly less injury hit team than what we had from R3 onward.

Anyone who suggests we had "luck" in 2016 is just an idiot, and has an agenda. Add an All-Australian Bob Murphy, among a million other injuries, and I'm fully win 19 games and three finals comfortably, and people will be talking about how great we all are. We still win the flag, obviously, and way we did it with four consecutive win was both a way Bevo motivated the players and part of the club's story, but have to get this off my chest.
The Swans were so unlucky in 2016 that they had so much money in their higher salary cap that they had been able to afford to poach one of the game's greatest ever players and another highly prized key forward from opposition clubs to play for them.

They were so unlucky that they had two top three in the draft young players (Heeney and Mills) who were only available to them via an academy zone and who they got dirt cheap with much later picks when their GF opponents and other clubs had no such equivalent.

They were so unlucky that come preliminary final day, they got to play on a much more neutral ground (MCG) than their opponent's actual home ground (actually this worked out really well!).

There will always be an effort to justify why we won, not based on the players, the coach, the game plan, it has to be another reason that gave us an unfair advantage, umpires, now too lucky, the saltiness is delicious.

Unfortunately in reading the article it looks like most likely Nige probably only has 3-5 years left before the condition takes him from this world.
It's a massive issue all from playing footy. I wish him and Sue the best of luck and hopefully AFL comes good with what they promised.

Probably under reported in the past and the link might not have been understood years ago. Those that were damaged just went off quietly into the night to never be heard of again.
We being the AFL needs to step up and help these poor souls, they played for our entertainment. It shouldn't be at the price they are now paying. Can't compensate someone for what they have lost. At least now steps are being taken to prevent it from ever occurring again.
AFL needs to help those whose lives have been shattered by the head trauma , which in my opinion worse than any physical ailment. Can't fix a broken brain sadly.

Probably under reported in the past and the link might not have been understood years ago. Those that were damaged just went off quietly into the night to never be heard of again.
We being the AFL needs to step up and help these poor souls, they played for our entertainment. It shouldn't be at the price they are now paying. Can't compensate someone for what they have lost. At least now steps are being taken to prevent it from ever occurring again.
AFL needs to help those whose lives have been shattered by the head trauma , which in my opinion worse than any physical ailment. Can't fix a broken brain sadly.
Agree we need to help.
I knew Nige, from the same footy club and neighbourhood, this is a genuine tragedy for him and family because he is effectively half dead, if not more? The more I’ve been thinking about it the more I’m sure the money and the much larger weights of the players is causing this. Not necessarily him personally but the whole professional aspect of footy clubs from the 80’s on. When they were weekend warriors they weighed much less. The hit were less violent They worked hard and played footy, no big workout programs and high protein supplements. They rested if they weren’t right, there were no jabs to keep playing. And their careers weren’t nearly as long, even superstars often left the VFL at 27 or 28 to go coach a local team with a job in the town. Money kept them in the game way longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back