What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, Bevo never lacked confidence did he?
I thought that was the best I’ve heard him in a long while. Helps when there’s a good journalist asking the questions?

I thought that was the best I’ve heard him in a long while. Helps when there’s a good journalist asking the questions?
Yes he was good. I generally like his answers, except like others here I don’t believe coaches should have anymore influence over match day than what they already do. I was referring to his self confidence, which is off the chart, I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not, but he’s got a very high opinion of his abilities.

Yes he was good. I generally like his answers, except like others here I don’t believe coaches should have anymore influence over match day than what they already do. I was referring to his self confidence, which is off the chart, I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not, but he’s got a very high opinion of his abilities.

Where was this interview?

Agreed, GWS and Carlton aren't sneaking up on anybody this year, Swans have to integrate a lot of new talent plus deal with early injuries, the Saints surely can't get better than they were last year, Port and the Crows both have stinky backlines.

Yeah, I’m way down on the Adelaide teams. I’m probably wrong, but Port’s forward line and back line looks poor and Adelaide have another year or two of development imo.

Recent history would suggest someone will jump from outside finals into top four contention - maybe Geelong have one last hurrah in them, I suppose it could be the dogs? Difficult to be confident about anyone tbh.

Jamarra's gotten a lot of weird praise this off-season with the expectation that he's better than he actually is. It's not as if he was top 20 or top 25 in the league for goals kicked, but the media is acting like he is. I hope this doesn't mean that there's unfair criticism of him if he doesn't necessarily play well to start the season, it's because non-Dogs media have already started not even assessing his 2023 season correctly.

It's interesting that last season, before he signed his big contract, a number of commentators started obviously over stating Jamarra's performance and understating Naughton's. Particularly when comparing the two players.

Whilst I think some of them were just being sheep and following the leader. I suspect that those responsible for starting the trend were intentionally trying to upset Naughton in the hope of encouraging him to leave the club. Perhaps by giving him the impression that he isn't appropriately appreciated as a Bulldogs player.

I couldn't believe commentators saying on multiple occasions that Jamarra had gone past Naughton last year. Anyone who thought that was either delusional or had an agenda. I think it was mainly the latter.

On the bright side I thought that on the weekend, Jamarra showed some really promising signs of improvement, and the interactions between him and Naughton showed no indications of tension.

It's interesting that last season, before he signed his big contract, a number of commentators started obviously over stating Jamarra's performance and understating Naughton's. Particularly when comparing the two players.

Whilst I think some of them were just being sheep and following the leader. I suspect that those responsible for starting the trend were intentionally trying to upset Naughton in the hope of encouraging him to leave the club. Perhaps by giving him the impression that he isn't appropriately appreciated as a Bulldogs player.

I couldn't believe commentators saying on multiple occasions that Jamarra had gone past Naughton last year. Anyone who thought that was either delusional or had an agenda. I think it was mainly the latter.

On the bright side I thought that on the weekend, Jamarra showed some really promising signs of improvement, and the interactions between him and Naughton showed no indications of tension.
I agree he definitely hasn’t gone past Naughty, if he does we’re going to be laughing.

I wouldn’t worry about tension they’re genuinely best mates and also compliment each other perfectly as players - this is a big reason why I’m so confident Marra stays, there’s Not just room for two but they make each others lives a lot easier and want to win together, This duo will go down in club history

Nobody lasts long in the role of senior coach unless they have a lot of self belief.

It's a brutal level of the competition. They'd get eaten up very quickly without it.

Enjoyed Bevo’s SEN interview.

Found it interesting he mentioned a few guys who have been first choice players are now on the edge due to the game changing and needing more speed and athleticism.

Assuming he’s talking about Daniel and maybe Macrae. Makes you wonder why they were given long term contracts if that’s the view of the club.

Found it interesting he mentioned a few guys who have been first choice players are now on the edge due to the game changing and needing more speed and athleticism.

Assuming he’s talking about Daniel and maybe Macrae. Makes you wonder why they were given long term contracts if that’s the view of the club.
Well it’s certainly an interesting view and probably accurate. Both seem to be entering the season potentially competing for a similar role. A high half forward that pushes up to become the 4th midfielder around the contest.

In a perfect world you probably only play 1 but as individual players they are way too good to be left out so we manage to squeeze them in. How that affects the overall team strategy and game plan remains to be seen.

We’ve also added two additional players in Sanders & Harmes with roles that also are likely to overlap those two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it’s certainly an interesting view and probably accurate. Both seem to be entering the season potentially competing for a similar role. A high half forward that pushes up to become the 4th midfielder around the contest.

In a perfect world you probably only play 1 but as individual players they are way too good to be left out so we manage to squeeze them in. How that affects the overall team strategy and game plan remains to be seen.

We’ve also added two additional players in Sanders & Harmes with roles that also are likely to overlap those two.
It sucks because he’s been an absolute favourite, but I would have tried to trade Macrae last year, feel like we could have nabbed a pretty high first rounder and cleared a lot of cash. But maybe not after this year. Whereas CD can play anywhere so I’m still confident there’s a spot there and he’s a great option to have off the bench.

But fingers crossed Macrae proves us all wrong this year anyway and finds his best

Time waits for no one as Wally found out. At least he stretched another year out as a forward. Not sure Macrae or Daniel can do that.

It sucks because he’s been an absolute favourite, but I would have tried to trade Macrae last year, feel like we could have nabbed a pretty high first rounder and cleared a lot of cash. But maybe not after this year. Whereas CD can play anywhere so I’m still confident there’s a spot there and he’s a great option to have off the bench.

But fingers crossed Macrae proves us all wrong this year anyway and finds his best
I don’t know why people keep overstating Macrae’s drop off last season.
He played a different role, and IIRC he happened to be at the very top of league ratings in that role.

Suggesting trading him out makes no sense, and BTW neither does the statement that CD can play anywhere. CD is a very good player but his lack of height creates team balance problems that need to be recognised and dealt with wherever we put him.

I think we’re getting underrated this year. I don’t mind it at all but I feel like we’ve made a lot of improvement to our roster plus lots of internal development.

I don’t know why I’m so optimistic about this season after last year but it feels different for some reason.

Last edited:

youtube fashion GIF

I thought it was interesting that Bevo said reputations matter when talking about some players having to adjust to the progression in the game. Was this a slight dig a Ross Lyon who believes reputations count for nothing? Or just differing philosophy?

I think we’re getting underrated this year. I don’t mind it at all but I feel like we’ve been a lot of improvement to our roster plus lots of internal development.

I don’t know why I’m so optimistic about this season after last year but it feels different for some reason.
Typical media over reactions imo. One minute they’re saying we have a top four list and the next picking us to finish bottom half of the ladder. I’m bullish this season for multiple reasons but the biggest for me is that we’re definitely fitter and it will make a difference. Time will tell 😊

Typical media over reactions imo. One minute they’re saying we have a top four list and the next picking us to finish bottom half of the ladder. I’m bullish this season for multiple reasons but the biggest for me is that we’re definitely fitter and it will make a difference. Time will tell 😊
Yep. It's like last year, when Dunkley left, even though he was our incumbent B&F winner, carried his form late through the year and clearly was excellent in 2022 - that it barely registered with the media last off-season and nobody really spoke about how we might not make finals because our best form player had left. On the other hand, we don't have any major players leaving, yet people are suggesting that we'll be even worse than last year?

Not much logic to it at all.

He's sounding fresh imo..

Bias aside I've always thought he is one of the more interesting coaches to listen too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back