What's your current program?

Remove this Banner Ad

i thought it looked alright at a quick glance earlier but missed the last leg day which seems a bit much...definatley a split you'd build up to but the volume is too high for a 'natural" trainer i think but as it says you don;t go to failure which is the hardest part for most trainees to do

i would modify it to maybe:

day 1 - low reps upper + hypertrophy arms
day 3 - low reps lower
day 5 - hypertrophy upper
day 6 - hypertrophy lower

if day 1 seems too long then split arms up over days 1, 3 day 5

i don't know arms need 6 exercises and legs 4.....how many was can you curl, really?

Current program been on for about 3 weeks is:

Monday: Chest/Tris
Bench press 3x8
Incline dumbell press 3x8
Decline press 3x8
Sitting chest press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Tricep isolation exercise

Tuesday: Legs/Abs
Squat 3x8
Deadlift 3x8
Leg press 3x8
Calf raises 3x8
Hanging leg raises 2x20

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Back/Bis
Pull ups 3x8
Lat pulldown 3x8
Upright barbell row 3x8
Seated row 3x8
Bicep curls 3x8

Friday: Shoulders/Abs
Military press 3x8
Shoulder side lateral raises 3x8
Shoulder press machine 3x8
Arnold press 3x8
decline sit ups 3x20

Sat/Sun: Rest

Probably will go for about another 3 weeks then change to either a 4 day upper/lower split or a 3 day push/pull/lower split.

Current program been on for about 3 weeks is:

Monday: Chest/Tris
Bench press 3x8
Incline dumbell press 3x8
Decline press 3x8
Sitting chest press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Tricep isolation exercise

Tuesday: Legs/Abs
Squat 3x8
Deadlift 3x8
Leg press 3x8
Calf raises 3x8
Hanging leg raises 2x20

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Back/Bis
Pull ups 3x8
Lat pulldown 3x8
Upright barbell row 3x8
Seated row 3x8
Bicep curls 3x8

Friday: Shoulders/Abs
Military press 3x8
Shoulder side lateral raises 3x8
Shoulder press machine 3x8
Arnold press 3x8
decline sit ups 3x20

Sat/Sun: Rest

Probably will go for about another 3 weeks then change to either a 4 day upper/lower split or a 3 day push/pull/lower split.

Fairly similar to my split really, theres a bit of differentiation in exercises (I don't do decline bench, do do cable/dumbell flys on chest day, I absolutely love my lunges on leg day) but other than that it's pretty similar. Big difference is, and most people will probably say I'm stupid for this - I do deadlifts on my shoulder day. It seems really empty just doing shoulders, and try as I might I simply can't do them on leg day or back day where they should be. I'm so ****ing knackered after all the other exercises I couldn't fathom slipping them in anywhere.

jus - why do tou have to change the split? everything's 3 x 8, that would be my first alteration...the body adapts to your rep range before anything else

stormee - why not do deads first on back day? even then deads are hip dominant movement and should be on a lower body day for mine...as long as your spreading the nervous system fatigue properly it probably doesn't matter where you do them

jus - why do tou have to change the split? everything's 3 x 8, that would be my first alteration...the body adapts to your rep range before anything else

The reason I'm changing my split soon is that aren't you meant to change your routine every 6-8 weeks?
In regeards to rep ranges, I do vary that a little from time to time, though it'l be a random choice on the day rather than anything structured. Sometimes I'l lift heavy for 3x6, other exercises a little lighter for 3x10, 3x8 is what I usually do though, but I'l keep that in mind.

hey fellas not sure if this is in the right forum or not, but was most suitable one i could find. just want some advice on a new running program. im looking to move from a half back flank to the midfield next season. and would like to keep my pace but also develop a massive motor. ive been injured last 3 seasons so overall fitness isnt great, not s**t tho. any thoughts? cheers.

juss - doing 2 reps either side of 8 isn't a real noticable change...ou'd need 4 reps btw ranges for that...i hardly ever change my split

snake - you've just got to get the extra milage into your legs but you past injuries will determine where you start from

cheers cptkirk, you talking 3 k timetrials, long distance runs or sprints? or all? last two injuries have been upper body so sweet to go flat out on track. i was doing heap of 3k runs last pre season, doing them round the 10:20 mark. although once i started back with my team still didnt feel like a had a very big engine. would short say 1k repeated efforts be better?

i wouldn't do 3km time trials exclusively, i'd use them more as a measuring stick and pop them in every 3 - 4 weeks

200's, 400's, 1km time trials and repeated sprints is sort of where you should be looking but don't go head on into it, stat well below your maximum work capacity and work up

I'm going as basic as possible for the first couple of months. At the moment just aiming at building size and strength. Only cardio I'm doing atm is abs which gets my heart rate right up. After about 6 weeks will incorporate more. I don't have much fat to lose so only need a 2-4 weeks before Christmas to get ready for the summer holidays :thumbsu:

4 workouts over 6 days.
Usually start Sat and Sunday then go a Tuesday and Thursday.

Workout 1 - Chest + Tri's (abs)
Dumbbell Press - warm up set of 8-10 then 4x6
Incline Dumbbell Press - 5x6
Decline Machine Press - 4x6-8
Dumbbell fly - 4x8
Cable fly - 4x6-10
Isolate Tri's
End with dips and some ab work

Workout 2 - Legs
Leg extension - 5x6-8 (to warm up the legs)
Squats - 5x6-8
Lunges - 5x6-10
Leg curl - 5x8-10
Calf extensions - 4x15-20
Standing Calves - 4x10-15

Workout 3 - Shoulders + Traps (abs)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 5x6-8
Military Press - 4x6-8
Front raisers - 4x8-10
Side raisers - 4x8-10
Rear delts - 4x8-10
Upright rows - 5x6-8
Shrugs - 5x6-8
Finish with some abs

Workout 4 - Back, biceps and calves for good measure
Pull ups wide grip 4x6-8
Deadlift 5x6
Cable row 4x8-10
Lat pull down close grip 4x8-10
One armed rows/barbell rows 4x6-8
Bicep isolation
Calf extension 4x15-20
Standing Calf raise 4x10-15

It might seem a bit much, however it has worked well for me in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly start up i added a bit more then I'm doing right now but it's what ill gradually increase to over the next couple of weeks. In addition the weight is fairly light as well. Just building up then going to tailor the program to work on strengths and weaknesses

hey all just stumbled across this forum

I have only recently just started going to the gym... well for the last 8 weeks... wanting thoughts/advice etc

I had a program I got given by the fitness bloke at my old footy club..
Now I go in the morning and only have 30 mins tops... I know that its not heaps and heaps.. but better than the nothing i was doing previously

Here is what I am doing..
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: A pyramid workout
Chest press: 12 reps @35kg, 10 @40, 8 @ 45, 6 @50, 12 @35, 12 @ 35
Shoulder press: 12 @15, 10 @20, 8 @25, 6 @30, 12 @15, 12 @15
Cable row: 12 @30, 10 @35, 8 @40, 6 @45, 12 @30, 12 @30
Lat pulldown: 12 @35 , 10 @40, 8 @45, 6 @50, 12 @35, 12 @35

Tuesday, Thursday: Cardio

Either 20 mins on the treadmill doing 250 slow jog, 750 going hard and so on, or 20 mins on the bike, once again doing intervals with the resistance

I have actually only been doing the weights side for about 6 weeks... and have increased 10ks on all the weights...

I have a travel to work situation where i am on the train for 1hr 15 from when i get up.. then have my 50 mins to smash out a workout get changed and get to work... so i have been having an up and go on the way to the train.. and following the workout a protein shake or bar

As i said thoughts... suggestions etc would be appreciated

I am using the pin loaded machines purely because I am a newbie and so i dont hurt myself etc... I have noticed a physical change already regarding my chest and shoulders which is great and as a newie makes me more and more eager to hit the gym...

if you've only got limited time then you need to ultra efficient which means big compound multi joint free wt exercises, not machines, so that you train a many muscles as you can

do you have someone who can show you dome free wt movements?

also i wouldn't gym time on cardio, do it outside in your own time

that's pretty good, are you seeing results? i don't know that much to be honest but the best idea would probably be to go towards doing a program like madcows or starting strength

I am assuming this post was aimed at me.... if not i am going to answer anyway :p

Yes I am seeing results.... I'm only 178cms and a had packed the weight on in the last year to be about 95kgs.... so have the challenge of trying to drop weight and build up at the same time... what i have noticed is that my pants shirts etc have gotten looser.. I have dropped about 3kgs so far.. BUT i have also started to bulk a bit... i do have the frame/body that responds well with exercise and my arms have toned/hardened up... and in my opinion are now starting to get bigger... So I am happy... Just really wondering what else I should throw in... and as I novice suggestions are a great help!! :D

if you've only got limited time then you need to ultra efficient which means big compound multi joint free wt exercises, not machines, so that you train a many muscles as you can

do you have someone who can show you dome free wt movements?

also i wouldn't gym time on cardio, do it outside in your own time

umm not really... I mean i could organise a session with a PT.. but i am abit meh about that...

So weights 5 days... or 2 rest days? The problem is my time is very tight all over.. on the train to work at 6:16... home the PM version or later and generally have a massive case of the CBFs then, I do play indoor soccer 2 nights a week which helps cardio but isn't enough

I suppose I really should just suck it up and go for a 20-30 min run each night or 2nd night or something

why not go straight into weaknesses?

your probably making your strengths stronger thus tour weakness weaker making more work in the long run

Being exam period at Uni I'm trying not to put too much thinking into gym. Just want to get in there do exercises that focuses on all muscle groups that have worked for me in the past and then have a think about mid way through November where I'm heading.

Also I'm doing fairly light exercises atm. Easing into it. So its not as full on as it seems.

umm not really... I mean i could organise a session with a PT.. but i am abit meh about that...

So weights 5 days... or 2 rest days? The problem is my time is very tight all over.. on the train to work at 6:16... home the PM version or later and generally have a massive case of the CBFs then, I do play indoor soccer 2 nights a week which helps cardio but isn't enough

2 days of indoor soccer is plenty...i'd have you do 4 wt days

you need to learn to lift free wts with the time you have so maybe have a look at some youtube videos

2 days of indoor soccer is plenty...i'd have you do 4 wt days

you need to learn to lift free wts with the time you have so maybe have a look at some youtube videos

Thanks mate i'll have a look at what I can find..

So stick to the same exercises and just hit the free weights... Could be a dumb question... what weight... i mean do i do the same weights as the machine.. half on each arm or how does it work with that?

I still do have a gut that i want to get rid of as well.. I was actually considering swapping it to 3 days cardio.. 2 days weights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back