Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

First round pick coming into his second season and can't even get a game ahead of first year players such as Menadue and C. Ellis.

When he played in the seniors this year he has looked fumbly and a bit lost and even at VFL level he isn't dominating.

He only had 17 possessions this week in the VFL and is probably not even at the standard of our first year rookie players in Short and Castagna.

So I ask? What is his future? What needs to be done with Lennon?

Where is he at?

Lennon is in the seconds I believe:cool:

I assume he is chipping away developing his game improving or attempting to;) Thats is what I would like to believe anyway!

When I first saw him in the preseason I thought, He's put on some weight from the gym....

Who is he related to?
Didn't he train with the club while he was a junior, or do some work experience, or something like that? Perhaps that's what Wally is referring to. I remember thinking that at the time ... hope they're not just picking him just because they like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I heard at draft time the Blues were right into Lennon. We just pipped them.

It's funny all these people nearly writing him off. Probably symptomatic of drafting immediate impact first rounders in recent years. Dusty, Conca, Ellis and Vlastuin all made their way into the side early and generally held their spots on merit. Lennon on the other hand was always going to take a little while due to lack of fitness, and he hasn't had a preseason yet! IMO, he'll be a good/very good player in a couple of years.

Just need to be patient. Personally I think his playing style reminds me a lot of Brendon Goddard and if you look at Goddard early into his career he really struggled to have a great influence on games in terms of finding the ball enough to utilise his ball use. Which is what Lennon is currently struggling with. So hopefully with a full pre season that will all click and in the mean time preferably he can manage to break into the side and do just enough to maintain his spot.

He isn't going backwards but not going forwards with any great speed either.

The sub rule has been his worst enemy so far but that won't be an excuse for him next year. His VFL form hasn't been too spectacular either with guys like Arnott, McDonough, Menadue, Thomas all getting better numbers and write ups.

Hate to say it but on this early a call he is Conca mk2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back