Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe but he looks heavier than that.
Might have got to 80-82kg but nowhere near the weight of the more developed types in terms of definition, that happens I suppose when you've nursed injuries the 2 preseasons he has been here.

Might have got to 80-82kg but nowhere near the weight of the more developed types in terms of definition, that happens I suppose when you've nursed injuries the 2 preseasons he has been here.
Yep true but it isn't as bad a spread as it was highlighted ie a difference of 5kg's v 12kg's.

Yep true but it isn't as bad a spread as it was highlighted ie a difference of 5kg's v 12kg's.
Stood near him twice last week at the VFL and he just doesn't have that definition that the older blokes have, so while he might be 82kg I'm of the opinion that he just isn't physically ready to play the way we want him to play.

Stood near him twice last week at the VFL and he just doesn't have that definition that the older blokes have, so while he might be 82kg I'm of the opinion that he just isn't physically ready to play the way we want him to play.
Sure probably but I reckon cotch doesn't have the definition either at least in the upper body. Lennon has time on his hands and we shouldn't be worried about his future.

Sure probably but I reckon cotch doesn't have the definition either at least in the upper body. Lennon has time on his hands and we shouldn't be worried about his future.
Cotchin isn't Deledio defined, but he is solid and has a massive tank. Lennon to me has a heap of puppy fat still and the tank is woefully inept for playing at AFL level. The thing people need to remember is it took McIntosh 3 years to come good and he as bigger than Lennon when drafted. Lennon has a couple more years before I'd start to worry

Cotchin isn't Deledio defined, but he is solid and has a massive tank. Lennon to me has a heap of puppy fat still and the tank is woefully inept for playing at AFL level. The thing people need to remember is it took McIntosh 3 years to come good and he as bigger than Lennon when drafted. Lennon has a couple more years before I'd start to worry
Cotchin having a massive tank is simply not true , he doesn't win endurance trials and never has . McIntosh has come good , one good game is far from a career . The jury is still well out on BEllis and he has a lot more decent games under his belt than McIntosh. .This crap about players coming into the AFL system, especially from TAC , with little to no endurance or body tone is a crock . Most if not all have been identified for 7-8 years before they are drafted and just don't progress these days unless they have fitness and running capacity . It is why more and more are having a direct impact .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McIntosh 192cm/89kg
Grigg 190cm/86kg
Deledio 188cm/89kg
Batchelor 188cm/88kg
Lennon 188cm/77kg
Martin 187cm/90kg
Vlastuin 186cm/86kg
Menadue 187cm/69kg
Dea 186cm/86kg
Gordon 186cm/86kg
Cotchin 185cm/85kg
Petterd 185cm/85kg
Conca 185cm/83kg
Morris 185cm/83kg

Look at that group and tell me what stands out about it. Then ask yourself why Lennon isn't being thrown into the fray at the moment. It has nothing to do with his apparent lack of intent or performance.

He looks more solid than that now though.....

Check out any pics of Cotch training over the past few seasons.... he definitely has the the definition.... very very strong through the core as well.

He is a big unit. Must go well in the ruck or KPF or KPD.
PLays basketball instead.
Cotchin having a massive tank is simply not true , he doesn't win endurance trials and never has . McIntosh has come good , one good game is far from a career . The jury is still well out on BEllis and he has a lot more decent games under his belt than McIntosh. .This crap about players coming into the AFL system, especially from TAC , with little to no endurance or body tone is a crock . Most if not all have been identified for 7-8 years before they are drafted and just don't progress these days unless they have fitness and running capacity . It is why more and more are having a direct impact .
Cotchin might not win time trials but at the end of games he is one of the few still running hard, you don't do that without having a decent tank, especially when you've spent most of the game on ball. The comment about McIntosh is regarding it taking 3 years to get his body right to play senior footy. That is why Lennon has time on his side and those panicking because he isn't dominating in the first half of his second season need to relax, as the club said before the season started it's going to be a slow burn with Lennon rather than an explosion.

PLays basketball instead.

Cotchin might not win time trials but at the end of games he is one of the few still running hard, you don't do that without having a decent tank, especially when you've spent most of the game on ball. The comment about McIntosh is regarding it taking 3 years to get his body right to play senior footy. That is why Lennon has time on his side and those panicking because he isn't dominating in the first half of his second season need to relax, as the club said before the season started it's going to be a slow burn with Lennon rather than an explosion.
I totally agree Lennon is going to take time , but for mine it is about re adjusting his mindset . He has always been poor defensively and instinctively played on roar talent . With the big boys that won't get him through .
Cotchin is still running at the end of games because he has the right attitude . The attitude is also what sees him possibly play games when he shouldn't and why he takes time to get rolling if he has had a injury . Dustin is a good example years and years in the system will struggle to ever see him play as a genuine midfielder as he just didn't give a s**t .

I totally agree Lennon is going to take time , but for mine it is about re adjusting his mindset . He has always been poor defensively and instinctively played on roar talent . With the big boys that won't get him through .
Cotchin is still running at the end of games because he has the right attitude . The attitude is also what sees him possibly play games when he shouldn't and why he takes time to get rolling if he has had a injury . Dustin is a good example years and years in the system will struggle to ever see him play as a genuine midfielder as he just didn't give a s**t .

Not sure about your last sentence re-Dusty ?
If there is one thing I've learned is that in many(if not most places) it's just not fashionable to be seen to care too much about what you do. I work in a setting where people will call you a company dog. If you do give a s**t . That fear of ridicule is at the heart of a lot of issues across our culture. Pity really, I wonder how much we all miss out on due to fears in general.....???

Not sure about your last sentence re-Dusty ?
If there is one thing I've learned is that in many(if not most places) it's just not fashionable to be seen to care too much about what you do. I work in a setting where people will call you a company dog. If you do give a s**t . That fear of ridicule is at the heart of a lot of issues across our culture. Pity really, I wonder how much we all miss out on due to fears in general.....???

Wow I haven't heard of that before

Bit hard to prove yourself in a vest or play a game then get dropped every time..

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.
Prove them wrong and perform at Vfl level.Something he's not doing on a consistent basis.

The whole company dog thing, I've never worked anywhere where people are like that

Glad that you haven't had to. Hope you never do...It's a difficult environment I work in. I'll be getting out of it soon. Just looking into alternatives . I have degrees . Looking at finishing another I started a few years ago...Social work. As with teaching, not alot of men in it ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back