Where to play Jonno?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dog Town

Premiership Player
May 18, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the real possibility of a genuinely tall forward line this season we are still going to need a good leading option to compliment the likes of Bandy,Rawlings and Darcy especially inside 50.If we dont find someone to come up and meet the ball then we run the risk of becoming too predictable.To me Jonno is one of the few guys in our side who is genuinely capable on the lead.Whether we can afford to pull him away from a wing or even as a lead up half forward where he has been brilliant is one of the biggest juggling acts Rohde will have this year.

Given that we know Bandy and Rawlings are both capable of presenting well at CHF I think Johnsons value to us lies either inside 50 alongside a couple of talls or on a wing.If someone can step upon a wing then maybe we can afford to play Johnson away from his best position.Feel free to toss anyone else up for a leading forward I have probably over looked someone.Remember they need to be able to read the game well and have a good set of hands.The only other obvious candidate to me is Mcguiness but that would leave us a touch top heavy IMO.

I'd have him rotating from the wing/on-ball to the forward flank, but to spend much more time in the midfield than in previous seasons. If he rests occasionally in the forward 50, he will murder the opposition's small defender. But you play your best players primarily in the middle, and Johhno is one of our best. Hopefully those "small forward rotation" days are now officially over.

Originally posted by Sedat!
Hopefully those "small forward rotation" days are now officially over.
They will be provided we dont get murdered with injuries.We are still going to need a couple of small forwards and if our tall forwards end up being Bandy,Rawlings,Darcy and Croft at times then one of the smalls needs to be capable of giving us a leading option inside 50.

With Brown gone, we need Johnno in the forward line more than ever. He is definitely a valuable player on the wing but i would prefer seeing players like McMahon, Power, Gia, Murphy, Robbo etc on a wing as Johnno is a proven goal kicker. Of course he can play there sometimes, but i think he is more needed in the forward line....its all about compromise.

I pretty well agree with all that's been said so far. I think Johnno's best value will come as a half-forward flanker/forward pocket, changing on the ball. He can give us another marking option, or some geniune front-and-square ability at the fall of the ball, which will be invaluable with the tall timber that's projected to be in the forward line.

I'd change him and Hahn on the ball, just because they have similar playing styles when off the ball, and we wouldn't lose much in the change-over.

Originally posted by Isdogisgood
With Brown gone, we need Johnno in the forward line more than ever. He is definitely a valuable player on the wing but i would prefer seeing players like McMahon, Power, Gia, Murphy, Robbo etc on a wing as Johnno is a proven goal kicker.

I agree that as much as he is an excellent midfielder, with Browny gone Johnson must stay in the forward line perhaps as the FP.
Whilst Rawlings will take more marks he wont be a real goal kicker for us so we have to find a way of replacing Browns 50 to 60 goals each season and I think Johnson is the man most likely to kick 50+ goals from either HF or FP.

I'd love to have several Johnson's.

2 on the wings, a couple up forward another on the ball!

I think Johnno would be a better FF than Brown as he is much stronger in the air and a better lead. With more big guys to take the key defensive heat away from him he could be a more damaging forward than ever. His ground level ability would also benefit from the splillage from the big guys.

Having said that I am an advocate of playing your best players where most of the action is. Johnno would probably get 25-30 touches a week up on the wing and a goal or two anyway. Would that be better than his 15-20 up forward and something like 3-4 goals?

A forward line with Darcy, Rawlings, Bandy as the front line talls with Johnno, Cooney and Gia/Robbins hovering around could be a very damaging attack.

Probablythe best thing would be to rotate him between wing and the forward line depending on the opposition and our tall structure.

Predominantly as a half forward - his kicking and leg speed is a little under-par for a winger.

Q: could cooney play wing off the bench as soon as round 1?

Originally posted by stefoid
Predominantly as a half forward - his kicking and leg speed is a little under-par for a winger.

Agree totally - except maybe the bit about leg speed. I rate Johhno very highly but I don't think his kicking is pin point enough for him to be a top wingman ( i don't think the forwards would lead with great confidence)

HFF to FP when not on the ball for mine.

Yeah it all depends on who we play. Johnno on the HFF or FP could be extremely damaging against some teams.

Against others him in the middle or on the wing could dominate yet again.

Originally posted by scooter600x
You're questioning Johnno's leg speed?

I reckon he's damn quick.

Hes a bit faster than average... but not genuinely quick. I think he attains the speed he does through sheer willpower if you know what I mean - always looks to be busting a gut, which is what we like about him!

I guess more to the point he is a poor kick on the run. no penetration and his accuracy is all over the place. Not a bad set shot from within his range, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Johnno was just starting out in the seniors we used say "This could go anywhere" when he took a set shot at goal or was taking a kick after a free or a mark. He has never been an extraordinary kick but I think now he is one of our more accurate kicks for goal. He is alos probably our most consistent mark, especially on the lead.

I'd have him on the HFF or in the middle.

Johnno is one of our best players that has the ability to play in the midfield. It is obvious to me that you need to start your best players in the midfield, and that's where Johnno should start the game. As the game moves on and the gas starts to run out then he can slip into a pocket or a flank.

Anyone got any other suggestions for a small leading option?To me the ideal scenario would be for us to be able to cover his absence on the wing and send him forward as he would be frightening now with a bit of height around him.IMO Matty Robbins would be a sensational wingman.He carries the ball,has good pace and would be hard to beat in the one on ones.On top of that his ability in the air and his attack on the pill gives us a different flavour to most of our other winger/flanker types both past and present.

Originally posted by Dog Town
IMO Matty Robbins would be a sensational wingman.He carries the ball,has good pace and would be hard to beat in the one on ones.On top of that his ability in the air and his attack on the pill gives us a different flavour to most of our other winger/flanker types both past and present.

Couldn't kick to save his life though.

Originally posted by stmookeyj
Probably more of a decision making problem than a kicking problem.I am not happy with him being a small defender and to me he is a ready made winger and less of a gamble than some of the other options as he has shown the ability to get plenty of the ball previously.

Originally posted by stmookeyj

???? he is a lovely kick... he just panics under presure.

I also feel he could be better value away from the BP, which can be a bit of a pressure cooker, since your mistakes easilly convet into goals for your opponent.

However he has been improving every year I think. If he settles into the BP, that would be great for us because we have a fair few wing options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back