Who Plays in The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing the squad i'm happy for Bancroft to get a spot as he's demanded selection by piling on the runs and i think he'll be a perfect partner for Warner up top.

Tim Paine whilst surprised he got selected i don't mind it as i'm glad we haven't gone back to Wade or Nevill who just aren't up to test level imo. Hopefully Paine can have a couple of good years then we can get a younger keeper in good form in.

The selection i'm most annoyed with is Shaun Marsh getting a spot at 6. Surely we could give Maxwell a go in Australian conditions for once, i mean it's not easy batting in India and he's just recently made a brilliant 100 over there.
Just give him a go at 6 in Australia and i think he'd do really well.

Shaun%20Marsh.png

If that is true (and i would be wary of assuming it without further evidence) then smith needs to be told to get his beak out of selection or get himself out of the team (and i like smith).

I mean we could believe that Smith just selects his mates - I believe a Victorian media pundit even claimed this is why Cartwright got games when Smith would have never even met Cartwright before Cartwright made his debut - or we could believe that a bloke who had an extended 18 consecutive test run in the side when in form and while consistently making starts was almost never able to go on with them is considered not up to it by the selectors.

But no bigfooty loves the conspiracy theory.

From all reports Steve Smith doesn't get along with Cowan and if the captain doesn't like you it's basically curtains for your international career (hodge and ponting), irrespective of your domestic form
This , plus he has never been afraid to speak his mind and thoughts on selection and other things . Too honest for his own good

Paine doesn't help out chances of winning because now our tail begins at no 7.
And it doesn't with Nevill and his average of 22?

i wonder what Ed Cowan thinks about our selection policy?
he's too old to play Sheffield Sheild yet Marsh who is only a year younger can play for Australia.
Cowan averaged 73 in Shield cricket last year, Bancroft averaged 28

im not saying he deserves a Baggy Green but he should've at least been given an opportunity to prove himself.
Pretty sure he had 18 Tests to prove himself but sure...

And it doesn't with Nevill and his average of 22?

Neville averages 40 in shield cricket, Paine averages under 30. You could make an argument for him batting at 9 behind Starc and Cummins.

Pretty sure Marsh had like 40 tests to prove himself :drunk:

im pretty sure previous test performances dont count.
just ask Matt Renshaw or take a look at Shaun Marshs glittering 23 match career.

like i said. policy is all over the place

As much as Sean Marsh shits me to tears, I can't mount an argument to pick anyone else. The cupboard is bare. Just thank goodness they didn't pick that shittruck Mitch.

Paine is in because Wade is in dire form with the bat and Nevill isn't good enough to bat seven at Test level.

Neville averages 40 in shield cricket, Paine averages under 30. You could make an argument for him batting at 9 behind Starc and Cummins.

Pretty sure Marsh had like 40 tests to prove himself :drunk:
Nevill averages 22 in Test cricket, which I'm pretty sure is what the Ashes are. The tail would start with him.

im pretty sure previous test performances dont count.
just ask Matt Renshaw or take a look at Shaun Marshs glittering 23 match career.

like i said. policy is all over the place
As I posted earlier in here, Renshaw has averaged 16 in his last 9 test innings, which is half his career.

Yeah, Marsh getting picked again is ridiculous, but this talk of Cowan not getting another chance purely because Smith doesn't like him, or Renshaw's 4 highest test scores being enough to lock him in for life, no matter how bad his long-term form, is even more ridiculous.

As much as Sean Marsh shits me to tears, I can't mount an argument to pick anyone else. The cupboard is bare. Just thank goodness they didn't pick that shittruck Mitch.

Paine is in because Wade is in dire form with the bat and Nevill isn't good enough to bat seven at Test level.
It's not so much the selections but more the inconsistency behind them that's frustrating people imo.

i like Mitch but i think he offers more with the ball than he does with the bat.
he needs to somehow make himself into that 3rd seamer who can come in at 7 or 8 and on his day change the shape of a match, Moeen Ali style.
a top 6 bat he is not.

the only problem is that his shoulder is stuffed and we have no shortage of seamers.

There needs to be more sheffield shield games leading up to and including the test series

i.e. from mid october to early january

19-22 October
26-29 October
4-7 November
11-14 November
18-21 November
25-28 November
2-5 December
9-12 December
16-19 December
27-30 December

Then players would be in long format thinking and form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like Mitch but i think he offers more with the ball than he does with the bat.
he needs to somehow make himself into that 3rd seamer who can come in at 7 or 8 and on his day change the shape of a match, Moeen Ali style.
a top 6 bat he is not.

the only problem is that his shoulder is stuffed and we have no shortage of seamers.

Mitch isn't a top 11 bat.....or bowler.

Mitch Marsh was under used as a bowler. It looked like smith just refused to use him
yup. that 5th bowling option that the selectors so desperately wanted but Steve Smith didnt...or just didnt know how to use.
at least Smith has got his way now. i prefer it with 6 batsmen but not using everything at your disposal is just dumb.

Paine has kept wicket in 3 shield games over the last 2 years... So while I agree with your statement re Wades ability with the gloves, selecting Paine as the keeper over Wade or Nevill is one of the most bizarre decisions in recent memory

Paine's the Australian T20 keeper, keeps during the Big Bash, would've kept most weeks at club level (keeping is keeping no matter where it is unlike batting and bowling), kept well for the CA XI against England, made 52 against England on top of 71no. As good a gloveman as anyone in the country and the only one making runs. Wasn't exactly that hard a selection on current form.

He did a "Bradbury".

Last edited:
Anyone have a listen to Trevor John's on Grandstand just before?
Apparently the reason that Maxwell didn't get picked was that he didn't turn one of his fifties in to hundreds. Well neither did Marsh.

His whole spiel about why Paine got selected was very uninspiring too.

a top 6 bat he is not.

I can't see him ever making it. His bowling is great for a #6, his batting is great for a #8. But his bowling will never be good enough to be the third seamer when we have guys like Cummins, Bird, Pattinson, Sayers, Behrendorf. And unless we develop a rock solid top 5 or a Bancroft type ends up as a keepet batsman we just cant carry a 25-35 average at 6.

Age is still on his side. Needs to work like a Japanese beaver on his batting and pile on the runs for WA and ideally in country cricket.

I can't see him ever making it. His bowling is great for a #6, his batting is great for a #8. But his bowling will never be good enough to be the third seamer when we have guys like Cummins, Bird, Pattinson, Sayers, Behrendorf. And unless we develop a rock solid top 5 or a Bancroft type ends up as a keepet batsman we just cant carry a 25-35 average at 6.

Age is still on his side. Needs to work like a Japanese beaver on his batting and pile on the runs for WA and ideally in country cricket.

He has a county contract which is nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back