drew_j

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fedor Emelianenko
OK 103 isn't for a few weeks, so something in the mean time (apart from an nice looking Fight night card coming up!) WHo's your favorite fighter?

I'd have to go with Nate Quarry. The dude is a class act, loved him in TUF season one and love the way he fights. He'll never be the greatest of all time, but I'll go for him no matter who he's fighting. Recently I looked up his private life a bit and it turns out he was brought up a Jehovah Whiteness, and didn't even participate in organise sport until he was 24!

Next would be Jon Jones. Firstly from the talent he showed in his 3 fights in the UFC but when I heard him interviewed and the way he spoke and his intelligence I got a full on chubby man crush on him. He will be a title holder one day. HW or LHW, probably both :D

Of the big names take your pick of Fedor, GSP, Machida, Rampage, Randy and Shogun

Oh yeah, and Big Jon Hess.. Sometimes you just haf'ta SAFTA.

My favourite since I started watching MMA is Shogun, closely followed by Fedor. A couple of random ones are Luis Cane and Goran Reljic, who although he hasn't had many fights, I like what I see. Ricardo Arona, Vitor Ribeiro and JZ Calvancante are a couple more non-UFC fighters I've always liked. This could go on forever but if you want one, its Shogun.

Been Anderson Silva for quite a while now.

Also a huge fan of Lesnar too... love the way he gets up the nose of the so called "hardcore" MMA fans. Looking forward to his era of dominance in the UFC, destroying everyone Dana puts in his path... and the school girl hissy fits from "hardcore" fans when he does so.

Always had massive respect for Fedor, but never really liked him.

I like GSP and Anderson Silva quite a bit, but I don't think any real MMA fan doesn't like watching those two.

Of the guys that are a bit more up to personal taste, I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of Brandon Vera - I like the way he fights, and think that he is on his way to becoming dangerous at 205.

I'm also a fan of the two Nate's - Marquardt and Diaz.

From the 'greats' of MMA, I like Fedor, Dan Henderson, Sakuraba, Nog and GSP. Also Wanderlei Silva, oh and Randy. Also I really like for no real reason is Murilo Bustamante. Oh and Rich Franklin!

I love watching Anderson and BJ Penn but for some reason don't have the soft spot I do for the above.

From the newer breed, I always go for Shogun and Gergard Mousasi and Nate Marquardt.

Hmm...I like a lot of fighters... I don't really dislike any fighters, just how they fight I guess. What style they are etc, being overly one dimensional or a Lay and Prayer wont score points in my book though.

I guess though for overall package it would probably have to be Fedor, Nog or GSP. Extremely good fighting skills in all aspects of the game, but yet humble, highly respectful and dedicated martial artists, real "fighters fighters".

But basically they are all very entertaining to watch fight and have provided me with the most exciting and entertaining fights in my 10-odd years of being an MMA fan.

Antonio...
Rodrigo...
Minatoro...
NOGUEIRA!!!!!

The man is far and away the best fighter I've ever seen and that includes Fedor. I don't think Fedor is going to end up having anywhere near the legacy that Nog has built up.

For a top 5:

Nog. Has done it all and continues to school people. I would love to see a rematch with Mir or a title match with Lesnar. Mir is good with the BJJ but Nog is on another level to everyone in the world. I think Brock would find his ground game much harder to counter than Frank's.

Lesnar. This man is deadly. He has more potential than any heavyweight ever and could end up being like Anderson Silva, just too good for anybody. The rumoured Fedor match would be must see as would a fight against Nog.

Fedor. The man is a freak and destoys all in his path but I can't call him the greatest until I've seen him in the Octagon.

Lytle. Not a huge name but my God will he put on a show. Has an amazing chin and great stamina that means he can never be without a chance regardless of the opposition.

Rampage. The man just screams "star". Can win from any position and has a knack for drilling guys with slams. Like Lesnar the man is just compulsive viewing for me.

Nog for me as well. After that BJ and Alexander. Houston's been pretty badly exposed but I'm a fan for life after his first two UFC fights, plus he's a really good guy. He raises six kids on his own, donates a kidney to one of them, saves infants left in cars and by all accounts goes above and beyond towards his fans.

Others are Randy, Wand, Cro Cop, Maia, GSP, Nick Diaz, Lauzon. Going back to the early days, Frye and Bas.

i get slighlty rigid for clay guida. hes not very good at anything but just smothers his opponents and is all heart. his entrances are good for a laugh too... seems to have endless energy and runs around like hes just had a hit of smack.

Hmm...I like a lot of fighters... I don't really dislike any fighters, just how they fight I guess. What style they are etc, being overly one dimensional or a Lay and Prayer wont score points in my book though
I guess that's my attitude.

I will always laugh when Chris Leben gets choked out after tiring himself out throwing massive bombs, because he was behind on the scorecards.

Also, Leben got beaten by Bisping by decision, and then tested positive for steroids. If you take steroids and the other guy still beats you by unanimous decision, you might as well retire.

There's plenty I like but my very favourites by division -

Lightweight - Frankie Edgar
Welterweight - Georges St. Pierre
Middleweight - Jason MacDonald
Light Heavyweight - Lyoto Machida
Heavyweight - Andrei Arlovski

If I was to include all-time throw Carlos Newton in there.

Liddell, Been a fan since 99
Henderson
Serra
Nick Diaz

Of the recent fighters.
Machida
Lesnar

Other fighters that didnt make it to my fave list But love watching fight are Rampage, Rashad, Jardine, Wanderlei, Anderson, Shogun, Tito

Good thread, thought id get involved.

At the moment:
Light: Diego Sanchez - Hope he smashes BJ at 107
Welter: Dan Hardy - If he had a decent haircut I would probably like him alot more, but he is very talented and has awesome stand up.
Middle: Nate Marquart - WOW. He should be fighting Silva, not Hendo. I love Damien Maia but he just destroyed him. Great wrestler with heavy hands. Even if he is a ranga.
Light H/W: Machida. Way to good not to like. Also hate Rashad Evans, so having The Dragon take the belt was just :thumbsu:. Bones Jones is awesome to watch. Loved that spinning back elbow that dropped Bonner :eek:. Cant wait to see Belfort again as well.
H/W: Love watching this division. Brock can be a bit of a neanderthal but he is looking pretty impressive so far. Its gonna take a power puncher to stop him. I like Carwins chances if he can avoid getting taken down and molested. After the last outing I am seriously looking forward to seeing Duffee go again.

All time: Love Randy but hate the 'Captain America' that Goldberg screams constantly. Forrest Griffen and Stephan Bonner for 'that' fight. Tito for be offensive and getting Ken so worked up and then just creaming him 3 times in a row.

THOSE I HATE!

Light: BJ Penn. Seriously mate, grow up. You cant lace GSP's bootlaces, dont even think about another rematch. It's a matter of time until someone beats you at lightweight, don't go thinking you are even in P4P contention.
Welter: Matt Serra - With the exception of a fluke against GSP who has he beaten of any real significance?? Matt Hughes in his prime would have destroyed him. Pay Hughes a little more respect than calling him a dick and maybe you'll get some back.
Middle: Chris Leben - get a serious hairstyle and get of the roids. Just retire, if you cant handle Bisping any serious contender will probably end your career anyway.
Light H/W: Rashad Evans - Stop dancing around and for the love of god, leave your nipples alone.
H/W: Tim Sylvia - Two Words: RAY MERCER. Another two words: DRUGS CHEAT.

\Rant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't see BJ losing at lightweight to anyone and at WW he's in with a shot against pretty much everyone else so I would put him easily in the top 5 P4P.

And Matt Hughes is a dick.

I really don't see BJ losing at lightweight to anyone and at WW he's in with a shot against pretty much everyone else so I would put him easily in the top 5 P4P.

And Matt Hughes is a dick.

Love to see him fight Aoki, who'd be schooled but still, I'd love to see it. Honestly looking forward to seeing Sanchez fighting him too. But have to agree, he owns 155.

I'd also like to add my +1 to the Hughes comment.

Cannot go past Fedor Emeliannko... has the skill, power and speed to beat anyone, is modest and says the right things in interviews and so fourht BUT you know deep down inside, he knows he is better than you and will prove it every single time.

Always have a soft spot for Andrei Arlovski, the bloke had the MMA world at his feet, too bad for him he has a glass jaw. Anyone seen his Belrussian Playboy Centerfold missus?!?! What a champ. He also had an interview after the Tim Sylvia loss (1st one) where he said "I party too much with the girls, stay out late and not want to train" Then lost to Tim again... LOL. He is a legend in my opinion... just for the fact he had everything, and threw it away on partying and bitches. A legend for all the wrong reasons.

I'm fairly new to the sport and have been watching a lot of the old stuff on DVD so my picks may not even be fighting anymore but:

Forrest Griffen (I know he's not the best fighter but he's just so enjoyable to watch) Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson, GSP, Mike Swick, I really don't want to like BJ Penn but gotta respect the guy.......same with Matt Hughes......

..and of course Randy and Chuck - how can you not?

If AA had a good jaw like say Nog, and could stay in the pocket and trade, he'd be almost unbeatable.

But you're right with Fedor. Class act and amazing skills for a HW.
Yea AA needs a jaw, and the ability to resist the partying. When he was HW Champ he frequented the Playboy mansion a bit apparently, but who can blame him?!?! Unfortuantely for him, he had something very special, then lost it (the partying came before everyone found out he had a glass jaw) and now is finding it very hard to find it again, and in that time he has been worked out... hit him in the jaw. Still love him and at least looks like the prototype HW fighter.

Fedor is all class, but you can tell underneath his calm demeanor, he knows he is better than you... I reckon thats why Dana get so worked up over Fedor, not only does Fedor reject him but he maintains that class with the "f**k you" smile underneath. Its great. Not fussed if he ever fights in UFC, he has proven himself IMO. Unfortunately if he smashes Strikeforce, he has no option but to go to UFC to silence all the "he ducks fights" haters, LOL @ Frank Mir. If there was a thread on your most disliked fights, Frank would be no.1 for me.

so many great fighters already listed. im a huge fan of GSP and anderson silva. would just be amazing to see these two guys go at it not sure who
id back to win that.

Randy will always be my favourite fighter 46yo and still trading it that is pretty incredible.

Lesnar, Alves, Koscheck, Dos Santos, Forrest, pretty much any fighter that loves to throw em i like.

i agree with deej the fact that couture is 46 years old and still in the game is amazing but will the ufc throw him in the octogon with lesnar
Randy is a legend but could he match it with a monster like brock lesnar
at his age.

i agree with deej the fact that couture is 46 years old and still in the game is amazing but will the ufc throw him in the octogon with lesnar
Randy is a legend but could he match it with a monster like brock lesnar
at his age.
Lesnar has already beat Couture once in the octagon... with Couture going down to light heavyweight, I doubt he will get another shot at Lesnar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back