Why Fitzroy?

Remove this Banner Ad

My family tells me that Fitzroy was the first word I ever spoke.

And to this day I truly believe there is no sweeter word.

Despite all the heartache its brought over the years, I wouldn't swap it for anything. If I had a dollar for every time I have thought about the Fitzroy Football Club, I rather think that the club would be the financial powerhouse of the AFL.

Originally posted by Slax
skilts you would've seen my favourite teacher I ever had from school. Jack Gervesoni, played with the Maroons in the 50s, played about 70 games. I remember him because he asked who the class supported at the start of the year. First asking for Hawthorn supporters then Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Fitzroy. When I was the only kid to put my hand up he told me I was on easy street all year because he played with them.

He also told me the club song was written on a trip to Geelong (still yet to verify but sounds good).

Yep Slax, I remember him well. Reasonably medium/tall bloke who was quite quick and skilful. To me, he always looked as though he'd aged prematurely. I may be wrong on this, but I think he may have spelt his name 'GervAsoni'. My understanding of the club song is that Bill Stephen wrote it. The trip to Geelong bit certainly has an air of authenticity about it.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
1955 was the year University Reds commenced! Must have been a big decision :)

LOL. Too true. Would have been an even harder decision if it had been the Fitzroy Reds though, eh Mobs?

Thought I'd make a contribution for once.

No family connection for me. Was a fickle child, barracking for Melbourne, Richmond, then Carlton (I was young, OK?!! :mad: :D ). Then, aged 8, I decided enough was enough. Whoever was on top that week was going to be my team for life.

It was Fitzroy.

Stuck with them to the end, and even after it in some respects. As I got older, I identified with the unfashionable battler. There was something about supporting Fitzroy that earned you respect. Remember walking around school with my Fitzroy scarf, and people would always say something supportive. When the end came, I felt more a relief than anything else. But as I've become older, I realise I shouldn't have been so accepting of what happened, and I realised what I'd lost.

I followed Footscray for a couple of years after, having been born in Footscray and living in the west my whole life, but it just wasn't the same. Moved to Brisbane, followed the Lions half-heartedly, just couldn't feel the same about it, didn't help that I hated Brisbane the city. Now sort of support Brisbane, but realise Fitzroy is something different.

I never made a choice,Born in nth fitzroy,went to alfred Crescent State school,Was there anything else,another suburb?Not me.
p.s.Ended up going to collingwood Tech.

get on my tricycle ride to training,get a smack when I got home.(Its dark)By that time I was about 8

missed 1st semi in 58, never saw final in1960.
In 1976 I took up Bowls,in 79 I was in line to make the div1 side.
(I told them to get stuffed)I'hd Waited too long,Never missed a final after that.

Gee! I shed a few tears but I loved my team.We had a chance.
79 was the best side I saw

We always tried our best.You couldn't ask for more

Fitzroy forever till the day I die

Originally posted by Mr Ripper
Family tradition. 100 years worth.

Same as Mr Ripper, family tradition, I had no say in it.
Grandparents moved down from Kelly country in the late 20`s and settled near the North Fitzroy Arms pub just near the Oval.
Every blood member from all sides of the family followed Fitzroy except one, my older brother, he follows North.
Timbo.

My old man played for them in the late 70's/early 80's... Still have my ticket to their last game in melb back in 96:(

I grew up in Fitzroy - lived on Mahoney St, went to school over on Rathdowne St (before we moved to Adelaide in '86 anyway). I've followed the Roys in one form or another ever since then... although most of the time from a far greater distance than I'd like...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up in Fitzroy - lived on Mahoney St, went to school over on Rathdowne St (before we moved to Adelaide in '86 anyway). I've followed the Roys in one form or another ever since then... although most of the time from a far greater distance than I'd like...
what took you to adelaide, wona? who'd you follow sanfl?

Freakie I'd love to hear more about your old man ... please elaborate! :thumbsu:

What do you want to know, stuff like Graham Cornes KO'd him one day and Chad is lucky I'm not playing AFL or i'd line him up good and proper?!:p

what took you to adelaide, wona? who'd you follow sanfl?

Was a family move... my dad got a better job there.

I followed North Adelaide during the 5 years I was living there too... which turned out to be kinda coincidental ;)

Ah yeah... yep, I was there before that particular merger, back when Woodville were a separate club...

My family tells me that Fitzroy was the first word I ever spoke.

And to this day I truly believe there is no sweeter word.

Despite all the heartache its brought over the years, I wouldn't swap it for anything. If I had a dollar for every time I have thought about the Fitzroy Football Club, I rather think that the club would be the financial powerhouse of the AFL.

Family tradition, Dad's side bought up in Fitzroy, after coming from Italy.
Mums side from North Melbourne, so easy decision to Follow North when Brisbane took over Fitzroy.

As you say Harace, all the heartache and pain the Roys bought, We still loved them, would nto have changed teams for the world and always hoped to do better next time around.

They wanted us out and being taken over by the Bears was the easy way for The AFL to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back