Wifi at home

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
Let me start by saying I have very limited computing knowledge!
Ok, I want to try and set up wifi at home. How do I do this?
Basically we don't have ADSL, we are on wireless broadband. Does this mean we
can't do it?

Instead of sticking your wireless broadband dongle straight into your computer, you'll stick it into a compatible wireless router. You'll then need a wireless network adapter for your computer, which allows the computer to pick up the network signal that the router is pumping around the house.

Making sense so far?

Instead of sticking your wireless broadband dongle straight into your computer, you'll stick it into a compatible wireless router. You'll then need a wireless network adapter for your computer, which allows the computer to pick up the network signal that the router is pumping around the house.

Making sense so far?

Yes! So it is definitely possible given I don't have ADSL?
Are there any extra costs from my service provider? I just can't comprehend that I will be
able to have wifi for home. I haven't been able to download movies etc before as our plan isn't big enough and ADSL isn't available in our area as yet. I'm just hoping I can do this smoothly and move into modern times! haha. It's all new to me!

Yes! So it is definitely possible given I don't have ADSL?
Are there any extra costs from my service provider? I just can't comprehend that I will be
able to have wifi for home. I haven't been able to download movies etc before as our plan isn't big enough and ADSL isn't available in our area as yet. I'm just hoping I can do this smoothly and move into modern times! haha. It's all new to me!

This thread hurts my brain o_O

I think you're getting your terms mixed up, wifi is just a way to wirelessly connect your devices together..... it's like a power board, it lets you connect more devices but you still need mains power for them to function.

To help you really need to do as Mr Eagle suggested, if you're unsure how to explain it all maybe start by telling us who your current provider is and what plan you're on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back