MRP / Trib. Will Hayward on Wardlaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised this wasn't suspended. The fact he turned his body and didn't put his arm out to go for the ball was what I thought you couldn't do

Was such a small incident I completely forgot about it. Was clearly going for the ball and turned at the last moment when he realised he was not going to make it first. There was no intent behind the action at all.

Of the Hayward incident, the AFL said: "As the ball is in the air, Hayward and Wardlaw both jump from opposite directions to contest and high contact is made by Hayward on Wardlaw. It was the view of the MRO that Hayward's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

Was such a small incident I completely forgot about it. Was clearly going for the ball and turned at the last moment when he realised he was not going to make it first. There was no intent behind the action at all.

I agree but this action is one that seems to be really inconsistently adjudicated by the MRP. Sometimes it's a realistic attempt to contest the ball and other times it's a bump.

Zero intent at the ball.
Zero effort to reach the ball.
Cheap shot because an 18 year old was tearing them up.
Classic AFL MRO nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eyes for the ball, turns himself sideways for the contact. Its literally what kids are taught and we expect professional footballers to do.

So he should have done the wrong thing and had front on contact with Wardlaw because that is what Wardlaw did?
He hit him in the head with his shoulder. Everyone else gets suspended for that now. Except against North players. Three North players have been hit in the head this year in incidents that were more serious than incidents other North players have been suspended for in the same year. Yet not one suspension. Why the * don't our players get protected?

He hit him in the head with his shoulder. Everyone else gets suspended for that now. Except against North players. Three North players have been hit in the head this year in incidents that were more serious than incidents other North players have been suspended for in the same year. Yet not one suspension. Why the * don't our players get protected?

Why arent your players turning their bodies sideways to get the ball so as to reduce the risk to themselves?

I know this is over 10 years ago and Ziebell got a bit higher, but is there much difference? ....

Why arent your players turning their bodies sideways to get the ball so as to reduce the risk to themselves?
McKay on Sheezel - how was he sposed to do that. Same with Zurhaar when Jonas cleaned him up.

Wardlaw committed to taking the ball in the air and was shoulder charged.

Once upon a time most of those incidents were let go because that was footy., Now we're sposed to see players showing a duty of care unless the opposition guy plays for North Melbourne.

He was hit as he took the ball. He had no time to turn his body unless you're suggesting he should have turned his body away from the ball first?

Away? Side on. Its literally how players have been taught since kids. He should have been aware he was running at the ball and an opponent was running at the ball, and known to brace for impact.

Away? Side on. Its literally how players have been taught since kids. He should have been aware he was running at the ball and an opponent was running at the ball, and known to brace for impact.
This has failed to happen since before Lindsay Thomas was suspended for bumping Chris Selwood.

You have to wonder if young players are taught that these days.

But even so ... jumping into an opposition player and turning your body sideways before the ball gets there is usually a suspension.

And anyway what you're saying is kind of irrelevant to my main point which is the consistent way we are not given the same protection by the MRO that other clubs are.

Maybe when collecting a ground ball (like Will Day should have done). It's a bit more difficult when you're attacking a high ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back