Worlds

Remove this Banner Ad

This race got seriously underplayed by the media here. It is sad as this was the greatest day in the history of Australian cycling, and so may people would have heard nothing about it.

Also, I have really liked Keenan over the last couple of years, but he is way too Aussie focussed in his commentary here. Fair enough, he has probably been instructed to be, but his overall knowledge is not really being utilised.

But did you guys honestly expect it to make a huge news impact
Cycling just isnt a sport that will get reported on regularly (apart from the tour every year)

Speaking from a Victorian perspective, it happened after the AFL GF so there was no big sporting events. Fair enough you have your GF wash-up, but I still thought it could be the biggest sports story. It is just so huge.

We also keep hearing how cycling is growing in Australia, but really it is only reported on in July. The Vuelta got next to no coverage, despite how well he went in it. I really think that when Cadel retires cycling coverage is going to go backwards in this country. It is a shame.

I'm by no means a cycling expert but isn't there some good quality cyclists coming through? I keep hearing Leigh Howard's name thrown about and obviously Jack Bobridge has some talent.

I'm by no means a cycling expert but isn't there some good quality cyclists coming through? I keep hearing Leigh Howard's name thrown about and obviously Jack Bobridge has some talent.

ATM I don't believe they will be as successful as Evans, who is a freak. Evans has led all three Grand Tours, podiumed in two of them and is the World Champion. And even that has only led to cycling coverage in July.

What a special ride...

Sensed the time to attack and did it perfectly. Super strong to hold on.

No idea what Sanchez and Valverde were doing, must no have had the legs to go when Cadel went.

What a special ride...

He didn't even attack that hard, it was just his constant speed that killed them. Even the likes of Cancellara who put in a massive last lap.

Thats the thing Cadel needs to realise and build his new team around. He can set a constant pace uphill that no other cyclist in the world can keep up with when hes on song imo. That includes pure climbers like Contador and Schleck. However when he gets attacked it takes a shitload more energy for him to chase them down than those other two mentioned. I put it down to Cadel having slow twitch muscle fibres. This gives him elite endurance but his explosiveness is frankly shithouse. A team like Sastre's CSC team at the 08 tour with O'Grady, Voigt, Cancellara and co, that set monstrous tempo's which no one can attack would be perfect for Cadel. Everyone knows how fast Contador is when he attacks but he can't hold it like Armstrong did.

Just my opinion.

ATM I don't believe they will be as successful as Evans, who is a freak. Evans has led all three Grand Tours, podiumed in two of them and is the World Champion. And even that has only led to cycling coverage in July.
true but Jack will come mightly close - this kid is a prodigious tallent

Leigh Howard and Cadel Evans are not the same type cyclist.

Leigh Howard is a sprinter.

Leigh Howard is going to be better than McEwen.

Bobridge could be Australia's first TDF winner even though he is probably doped coming from Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You believe that all of our athletes are clean?

How can some be guilty and all of a sudden, Australian's be clean?

It doesn't work like that.

Michael Rogers was doped up at T-Mobile - whether you choose to believe it is your decision.

Regarding Bobridge, Adelaide is the doping centre of Australia.

Just like Freiburg was for T-Mobile.
Just like Vienna was the doping clinic for Rabobank

Adelaide has had a huge reputation of being doped.

Remember our friend Mark French. He was the scapegoat from that scandal. Jonker was doped up. O'Grady was doped up with the rest of CSC during the 2008 Tour de France.

Anna Meares, let's not forget her either.

And Bobridge is the next generation coming up from Adelaide.

Need I remind you that just 6 weeks prior to the World's, Bobridge was fat? Suddenly, he comes out and does that in the Under 23 Time Trial?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to join the dots.

"the guy who never attacks is now attacking"

was that Phil Liggett? Because that is flat wrong. See the most selective race on the calendar, Liege Bastogne Liege, he attacked on St Nicolas in 2005, and I can name the multiple other times. His public perception comes from riding a defensive Tour de France strategy. He cant attack if he does not have the legs. This is the Tomalaris type thought process that uses no thinking.

Bobridge will be Australia's first Tour de France winer, because he can get down to about 63kg at 5'10". If you can ride a 4'17" pursuit, it is instructive of his potential power to weight.

What a special ride...

He didn't even attack that hard, it was just his constant speed that killed them. Even the likes of Cancellara who put in a massive last lap.

Thats the thing Cadel needs to realise and build his new team around. He can set a constant pace uphill that no other cyclist in the world can keep up with when hes on song imo. That includes pure climbers like Contador and Schleck. However when he gets attacked it takes a shitload more energy for him to chase them down than those other two mentioned. I put it down to Cadel having slow twitch muscle fibres. This gives him elite endurance but his explosiveness is frankly shithouse. A team like Sastre's CSC team at the 08 tour with O'Grady, Voigt, Cancellara and co, that set monstrous tempo's which no one can attack would be perfect for Cadel. Everyone knows how fast Contador is when he attacks but he can't hold it like Armstrong did.

Just my opinion.

thats just wrong. Evans cannot diesel uphill and be faster than anyone else. In that case, he would allow everyone to attack and ride like Leipheimer, just take his own pace, and pass them and finish first. It would allow him to ride from the front on all stages without exposure to the wind like Ventoux.

if it wasn't for Matt Lloyd, Cadel wouldn't be in the position he is in... he has done everything for him with silence-lotto and the national team, massive props for the kid who is so very junior in respect to the cycling cirlces.... (2nd best aussie in the TDF and 3rd best in the worlds)

He will bail. Never been more certain of anything. Two years too late if you ask me though.

If he was going to bail he would have done it by now, it is to late in the season to try and go to a new team especially with Contador about to walk out of Astana today...

Evans is not bailing and Lotto will be getting Moreno from Caisse as some help for Cadel.

I for one hope Astana don't get renewed. If Contador walks out on Astana, imagine the team Caisse can give him.

1. Alberto Contador
2. Luis Leon Sanchez
3. Rigoberto Uran
4. Marzio Bruseghin
5. Christophe Moreau
6. Juan Jose Cobo
7. Mauricio Soler
8. David Arroyo
9. David Garcia Lopez
10. Pablo Lastras
11. Xabier Zandio
12. Francisco Perez
13. Alejandro Valverde

Choose your 9 and that That team will be near unbeatable. If Valverde rides next year, it's even stronger.

Caise are only good cause they are all drugged up mules. Spain has no desire to reign in PED use whatsoever.

Same could be said for Saxo and Astana though.

True.

I'm on the juice now and man it makes things easy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back