Worst coach sacking in VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

A nod here to David Teague imo

Took over as caretaker coach and in his first game captain Patrick Cripps had 38 dispsoals and 3 goals, and tweaked his back so badly he could barely run for the next two years. The following week Charlie Curnow a) kicked 7 goals and b) wrecked his knee so badly he wouldn't play for 2.5 years, until Teague was gone. Co-captain Sam Docherty had cancer, twice. It wasn't exactly a stable structure... i won't list the other players injured in his reign but it was a lot and he had terrible luck. Despite this, he does an ok job as caretaker coach so he gets the gig.

Then, new coach Teague implements a new, attacking system that was a complete reversal of how they had played under their prevoous coach. All geared up for the first match, which was a sold enough effort against eventual premier richmond. Then we went into lockdown and the team had to wait 3 months to play again and were unable to train together for most of that time. The team spent Teague's first season in the COVID bubble, not really able to practice the new system fully. That hurts everyone, of course, but for a young team learning a new system it is brutal. Nonetheless, 7-10 is an improved win/loss record.

Started the second season (which would also be covid affected) a bit up and down.... had a surprisingly tough fixture (i guess locking in rd1 vs Richmond sucks when they are the dominant team). Trode water despite a pretty bad run of injuries... then had a couple of bad weeks just before the bye and that was it, really. The club instituted a 'review'... actually did ok and the team was 8-11 with a prayer to make finals, but an away loss to GC sealed his fate and that was that.

Not saying Teague was a great coach, but i can't think of many modern era coaches given less of a fair crack at it. Not even two full covid affected years with a young, injury depleted squad and a winning record better than his predecessor by a long way.

It was another example of being seduced by an interim coach. Has happened a few times where half decent coaches get a bit of a look for a couple of months., do nothing wrong and get handed the keys full time despite them not being up to it. We did it with Ratts and Teague. Kangas did it with Shaw. Tigers might be about to do it with McQualter.
I really hope we don't give McQualter the job.

I can't see what all the hype is about him to be seduced by personally.

Since the bye apart from Sydney Richmond's only scalps were West Coast, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos. The three clear worse teams of 2023 (There is daylight of quality between the 15th and 16th position). Even then the wins against West Coast and Hawthorn were not convincing (Only played one good qtr against Hawks).

It's a moot point anyway. I don't think McQualter is getting the job because it would have been announced by now if he did. I think it will either be Newman or Yze.

From an opposing fan’s perspective, this one sucked cause it provided so many laughs

View attachment 1806141
You've got to be joking, unfairest sacking of all time. You are talking about a man who coached Ocean Grove to 4 flags and during his time coaching Melbourne won 2 games (the 4 wins against GWS & GCS dont count). Tell me another coach who's schievments surpasses that of the great man ?

The Bombers sacking Knights for Golden Boy Hird has worked out well for them. He still has knives in his back from Velvet and Lucas.

Was a wonderful day when we heard Knights had finally left the club. Absolutely appalling AFL coach.

I hear he's been the midfield coach over at West Coast this past few years. Coincidental, when you take into account they are currently experiencing the worst on field performances in club history.

Ratts at Carlton was tough. He probably was never taking us to the promised land but was a genuine Carlton man who always gave his all.

Replaced by malthouse who only took the job on to spite the pies and then couldn't start pre season on time because he was doing a book sale promotion tour. That was a fairly good indication of his level of commitment to the job.

It was another example of being seduced by an interim coach. Has happened a few times where half decent coaches get a bit of a look for a couple of months., do nothing wrong and get handed the keys full time despite them not being up to it. We did it with Ratts and Teague. Kangas did it with Shaw. Tigers might be about to do it with McQualter.
He took you to the finals in three consecutive years. Arguably should have beaten WCE in the SF of not for a dubious umpiring decision. Then you would have taken on Geelong in the PF. After a strong start in 2012 and a 10 goal mauling of Collingwood, things went awry. But it was just one season.
Your call that he was never going to take you to the promised land I don’t agree with.

He took you to the finals in three consecutive years. Arguably should have beaten WCE in the SF of not for a dubious umpiring decision. Then you would have taken on Geelong in the PF. After a strong start in 2012 and a 10 goal mauling of Collingwood, things went awry. But it was just one season.
Your call that he was never going to take you to the promised land I don’t agree with.
Season went downhill after a performance enhanced Essendon broke a few players and we never fully recovered enough and just missed finals.

Does any other country on Earth have the sort of wide-berth culture when it comes to sacking coaches as we do in Australia?
A guy can be coach for ~4 years and win 1 or 2 finals here and it's considered a rough sacking, whereas in the US so many pro teams have a different coach every year or multiple in the same season.
Always think about how Leicester City sacked their manager after winning the entire premier league.

There is really no other answer to this question than Norm Smith. Flags in 55, 56, 57, 59, 60, 64. Second on the ladder in 65 and sacked halfway through season. Dees go on to miss the finals and wait 57 years for another flag.

From a Saints perspective, Stan Alves was pretty baffling.

Harvey’s I think was the most brutal in terms of how it was carried out. Total hit job.

Worst in terms of how the team was performing, ousting Malthouse from Collingwood because McGuire was too proud/in love to let Nathan Buckley work for another club would have to be up there.

The ending of Malthouse was sad but the initial reaction to the handover was brilliant and actually won them the flag. Once Mick had an end date he went all in and topped the team up with Jolly and Ball, two guys that had a huge impact in 2010.

I feel for Scott Watters. He tried to change the culture of a club and got banished to the shadow realm because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Walls - Carlton.

4 years at the club

3 finals series'
2 grand finals
1 premiership
sacked.

*Honorable Mention to Daniel Harris (Claremont) who was sacked in 2020 after losing a GF by 3 points...ouch

Last edited:
Harvey’s I think was the most brutal in terms of how it was carried out. Total hit job.

Worst in terms of how the team was performing, ousting Malthouse from Collingwood because McGuire was too proud/in love to let Nathan Buckley work for another club would have to be up there.
not to mention how dumb carlton were to be his rebound girl

Took over as caretaker coach and in his first game captain Patrick Cripps had 38 dispsoals and 3 goals, and tweaked his back so badly he could barely run for the next two years. The following week Charlie Curnow a) kicked 7 goals and b) wrecked his knee so badly he wouldn't play for 2.5 years, until Teague was gone. Co-captain Sam Docherty had cancer, twice. It wasn't exactly a stable structure... i won't list the other players injured in his reign but it was a lot and he had terrible luck. Despite this, he does an ok job as caretaker coach so he gets the gig.

Then, new coach Teague implements a new, attacking system that was a complete reversal of how they had played under their prevoous coach. All geared up for the first match, which was a sold enough effort against eventual premier richmond. Then we went into lockdown and the team had to wait 3 months to play again and were unable to train together for most of that time. The team spent Teague's first season in the COVID bubble, not really able to practice the new system fully. That hurts everyone, of course, but for a young team learning a new system it is brutal. Nonetheless, 7-10 is an improved win/loss record.

Started the second season (which would also be covid affected) a bit up and down.... had a surprisingly tough fixture (i guess locking in rd1 vs Richmond sucks when they are the dominant team). Trode water despite a pretty bad run of injuries... then had a couple of bad weeks just before the bye and that was it, really. The club instituted a 'review'... actually did ok and the team was 8-11 with a prayer to make finals, but an away loss to GC sealed his fate and that was that.

Not saying Teague was a great coach, but i can't think of many modern era coaches given less of a fair crack at it. Not even two full covid affected years with a young, injury depleted squad and a winning record better than his predecessor by a long way.
Disagree, had completely lost the players.

I don't think there's much debate that Norm Smith was the worst.

Modern era, probably Grant Thomas. He made prelims in 04 and 05, and made the finals in 06 despite a heavy injury toll. Then sacked.

It's always the same story - coaches sacked not because of results, but because they fall out with the Board.

Did Teague put on a hell of a lot of weight when he was coaching Carlton?

I don't think there's much debate that Norm Smith was the worst.

Modern era, probably Grant Thomas. He made prelims in 04 and 05, and made the finals in 06 despite a heavy injury toll. Then sacked.

It's always the same story - coaches sacked not because of results, but because they fall out with the Board.

He seemed to sort out the saints cultural issues. Then after he left, back to normal eh Nicky dal?

The Bombers sacking Knights for Golden Boy Hird has worked out well for them. He still has knives in his back from Velvet and Lucas.
Knights was hopeless. Deserved to be sacked. Plenty of other errors, but that wasn't one of them. And the main sliding door moment was choosing Knights ahead of Hardwick to start with. Probably have another thread on worst coaching appointments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back