Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Nominations, please.

One shocker that I can recall vaguely, was S.Hawking running into an open goal, no pressure, and from about 15m out spraying it out on the full. I think that was in about '95 or so at the Whitten Oval.

Not really clangers but Silvagni smothering Lynches kick from 1mtr out.
Another thats not really a clanger (maybe a coaching clanger) was 50 points down at half time against geelong, come back and tie the game with seconds left, geelong go forward kick it to Ablett on Paxman. Geelong win. What the hell was Paxman doing on Ablett. It looked like schoolboy stuff. You would think with seconds to go they could of flooded back or put Lynch on him?

That game killed our finals aspirations that year if I recall correctly?

Gary Keane's handball point was recently mentioned on another thread.

One that comes to mind due to constant highlight repeats on Foxtel was THAT final against the Pies in 81. The seconds leading up to the Ross Brewer goal. The ball was coming into the Collingwood goal square only a couple of metres from goal. All it needed was a big punch through for a point... which would have left us 4 points up with time to steady.

Instead a couple of our blokes went for the mark, dribbled it off their hands to the front of the pack, allowing Brewer to get his hands on it.

We had plenty of big blokes in that square, all it needed was the one to punch it through. Lost opportunity.

Another - depending on your view of what a clanger is - 83 Qualifying when Mick Nettlefold followed the ball over the line and was paid a free against for deliberate. Poor bastard, he was very unlucky, but it might be viewed as a clanger because he didn't pick it up and kick it.

Originally posted by Levo
Mx George running in to an open goal at PP and clear by 20 metres and kick a behind, bloody well should have been his own, as footballer he made a great trotting driver

I thought he was a good footballer after his debut where he kicked 5 goals at VFL park.

I always wondered what happened to him.

Originally posted by Levo
Mx George running in to an open goal at PP and clear by 20 metres and kick a behind, bloody well should have been his own, as footballer he made a great trotting driver
That's the biggest clanger I've seen. I'm sure he thought he was kicking it between the goal posts.

Mmm, let's see:
Jason Dunstall
Wayne Schwass
Terry Wallace
Paul Couch
Gavin Brown
Alan Ezard
Jamie Shanahan
Adrian Gleeson

I'm sure there's many more players that were either tied to the Fitzroy zones (Brown, Schwass, Gleeson) or rejected (Dunstall, Couch).

While all clubs have recruiting clangers of some kind, Fitzroy's always stuck out like dogs nuts!

Originally posted by fitzmantle
Another thats not really a clanger (maybe a coaching clanger) was 50 points down at half time against geelong, come back and tie the game with seconds left, geelong go forward kick it to Ablett on Paxman. Geelong win. What the hell was Paxman doing on Ablett. It looked like schoolboy stuff. You would think with seconds to go they could of flooded back or put Lynch on him?

That game killed our finals aspirations that year if I recall correctly?
That was R12-1993, and it left Fitzroy only 6 points out of the top six, so probably not.

Surely the most woefull piece of off field work was when we traded

TERRY WALLACE

FOR.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................GERRY MACARTHY!!!!

What where they thinking????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by OldLion
Micky Reeves coming off the bench in the 1986 PF and going straight back off on a stretcher.

and on his wedding day as well... must be the shortest stay onfield in the history of the game. he would have taken less than 20 steps before Dipper poleaxed him....

Originally posted by Jethro Q Walrustitty
David Strooper missed a set shot from the edge of the goal square in the last game of '89. It was in keeping with the general standard of that game, it must be said.

Wasn't the last game of '89 a win against Footscray at Princes Park?

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I didn't think that was how the deal worked? Anyways, Sapple offered plenty of good service, this trade pales in comparison to the Hogg one.

Correct. It wasn't both Armstrong and Blakes for McCarthy...just Blakes for McCarthy. Can't recall what we gave the Roys for Armstrong... might have been a mule ? :D

Originally posted by Rod Stroker
Correct. It wasn't both Armstrong and Blakes for McCarthy...just Blakes for McCarthy. Can't recall what we gave the Roys for Armstrong... might have been a mule ? :D

Hehe I dunno, was that where Dilena came from? Or was that in reverse.

Oh well, we died, you're still playing Clayton ... I still reckon we got the best of that deal :p :D

Was watching Grumpy Old Men with Terry Daniher who said that both he and Neil had been signed to go with the Roys until the South coach wanted Fields and the Bombers got into his dad's ear. They would have been useful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back