would Fitzroy still be Fitzroy today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hellacopters

Debutant
Apr 13, 2001
Moonee Ponds
even without merge North Melbourne have given up their name..they are now the Kangaroos...what's up with that s**t? as bad as the bulldogs ditching Footscray for the FFC on the back of the guernsey..

makes you wonder if Fitzroy would have lost it's name anyway eventually..i would have hoped not..so why did north and footscray ditch..and dont tell me increased marketting..i think thats crap

Originally posted by Hellacopters:
even without merge North Melbourne have given up their name..they are now the Kangaroos...what's up with that s**t? as bad as the bulldogs ditching Footscray for the FFC on the back of the guernsey..

makes you wonder if Fitzroy would have lost it's name anyway eventually..i would have hoped not..so why did north and footscray ditch..and dont tell me increased marketting..i think thats crap

Sorry to disillusion you, but it was increased marketing. Footscray obviously thought it could increase it's broad appeal and therefore it's membership and sponsorship from across the western suburbs of Melbourne, by changing it's name to try and reflect that they were representing that area. To a certain extent it has worked.
Same with the Kangaroos, who wanted to increase their broad appeal across the nation, by becoming identified with Australia's national symbol, instead of a small, largely industrial inner suburb of a city.

The North Melbourne suburb, like that of Fitzroy was/is hemmed in by the more powerful suburban clubs such as Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon. If Fitzroy had remained in the competition it may well have eventually changed it's name to just "the Lions" or something similar. Certainly from 1991 onwards Fitzroy was doing what North is doing now and trying to broaden their public appeal by playing games in Tasmania and then Canberra. If that had been successful then a name change would have certainly been on the cards.

I read today that Tasmania in the VFL has yet to finalise a logo and a theme song and won't do so until next season in 2002. Is there a chance that Fitzroy could still become involved? After all the Lion emblem is on Tasmania's flag, we have a history playing AFL matches down there and a great many supporters as well. Less significantly Matt Armstrong is also their coach.

I believe the VFL has already poured cold water on this idea, when it was proposed earlier in the year or late last year, (I can't remember) but perhaps it could be re-considered again, as Tasmania are still searching for an identity.

Originally posted by Roylion:
Sorry to disillusion you, but it was increased marketing. Footscray obviously thought it could increase it's broad appeal and therefore it's membership and sponsorship from across the western suburbs of Melbourne, by changing it's name to try and reflect that they were representing that area. To a certain extent it has worked.
Same with the Kangaroos, who wanted to increase their broad appeal across the nation, by becoming identified with Australia's national symbol, instead of a small, largely industrial inner suburb of a city.

The North Melbourne suburb, like that of Fitzroy was/is hemmed in by the more powerful suburban clubs such as Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon. If Fitzroy had remained in the competition it may well have eventually changed it's name to just "the Lions" or something similar. Certainly from 1991 onwards Fitzroy was doing what North is doing now and trying to broaden their public appeal by playing games in Tasmania and then Canberra. If that had been successful then a name change would have certainly been on the cards.

I read today that Tasmania in the VFL has yet to finalise a logo and a theme song and won't do so until next season in 2002. Is there a chance that Fitzroy could still become involved? After all the Lion emblem is on Tasmania's flag, we have a history playing AFL matches down there and a great many supporters as well. Less significantly Matt Armstrong is also their coach.

I believe the VFL has already poured cold water on this idea, when it was proposed earlier in the year or late last year, (I can't remember) but perhaps it could be re-considered again, as Tasmania are still searching for an identity.

calling a Tasmanian side Fitzroy..in my opinion..is pretty much no different than Brisbane being called the Lions..only in a lesser competition

i think it sucks that North and Footscray have ditched their names..i know ive mentioned both Footscray and North Melbourne to people while talking footy and they have had no idea who i was talking about...theyve lost their identity to a lot of people as it is..the afl sucks for letting this happen

as to Fitzroy eventually going up the same path..i think we were already done for..as in on the afl kill agenda..i would be just one person but as a member i would have been opposed to losing the Fitzroy title

i understand the marketting aspect..but i dont agree with it..huge sell out (yeah yeah welcome to the real world of the afl)..but i guess those clubs are still in existance
so what do i know?

the afl sucks!

i'm with you hella. as a fitzroy supporter people say i live in the past, however i would even rather enjoy watching carlton vs say essendon at a packed princess park with cold VB cans and standing within the raw edge of urban life and it's commentary, than sitting in plastic seats watching a 'mellee forbidden' game of basketball on sand between sturt and norwood...oops fremantle (wherever that is) and port adelaide, in jumpers that I'd never seen before, eating my sushi and enjoying a decaf cappucino, with almond biscuit on the side. i refuse to use the marketing names, as my mates and i only ever talk about footscray and north melbourne.

------------------
Rgds from Koroit
Noel

Couldn't agree more about the melee forbiden comment. I've just come from the western bulldogs/Hawthorn game at collo. If you get a chance to see it then do so just to see how soft**** umpiring is turning what was once a great game into a quasi-Basketball. Sickening.

------------------
...Son, if youre going to follow the Doggies you'll need a sense of humour...

Originally posted by Noel Mugavin:
i'm with you hella. as a fitzroy supporter people say i live in the past, however i would even rather enjoy watching carlton vs say essendon at a packed princess park with cold VB cans and standing within the raw edge of urban life and it's commentary, than sitting in plastic seats watching a 'mellee forbidden' game of basketball on sand between sturt and norwood...oops fremantle (wherever that is) and port adelaide, in jumpers that I'd never seen before, eating my sushi and enjoying a decaf cappucino, with almond biscuit on the side. i refuse to use the marketing names, as my mates and i only ever talk about footscray and north melbourne.

problem is lots of the newer generations wont know what youre talking about when you mention footscray and north melb. Funny thing is the commentators have obviously been instructed to call these clubs by their marketting names and they do..yet how many times do we STILL hear Brisbane being called the BEARS by the very same commentators..morons!

bottom line is football really has suffered to big biz dollar...like the old south melbourne member who got booted out of the mcg for ringing his bell when the swans kicked a goal...not acceptable..even though he had been doing it for all his football life

SUCKS!!

"Western" Bulldogs. Western What? I've never understood this name change. "West Melbourne" would have been understandable.

"Western" could be anywhere.

I hate any side that wants to be known by a mascot. Names identify where a team comes from. Calling a team by its nickname implies that it could be moved anywhere at anytime.

Originally posted by Blues_Brat:
"Western" Bulldogs. Western What? I've never understood this name change. "West Melbourne" would have been understandable.

"Western" could be anywhere.

I hate any side that wants to be known by a mascot. Names identify where a team comes from. Calling a team by its nickname implies that it could be moved anywhere at anytime.

Yeah I'm not keen on it either.

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

Originally posted by Roylion:
If Fitzroy had remained in the competition it may well have eventually changed it's name to just "the Lions" or something similar. Certainly from 1991 onwards Fitzroy was doing what North is doing now and trying to broaden their public appeal by playing games in Tasmania and then Canberra. If that had been successful then a name change would have certainly been on the cards.

I reckon you're right on that one, Roylion. I would have liked to have kept the Roys name, but at least keeping the jumper, and logo, the song, and our colours in tact would have been preferable to dying out completely, or perhaps, even merging.

Even if we'd only had a few home games in Vic each year, I still would've followed them with a passion.

I posted this in a topic elsewhere, but a few weeks ago, going past the 'G', I looked up at the scoreboard, where they have the team flags. It was the week after the Western Bulldogs v Richmond clash. It was great! They actually were still using the old Footscray flag from the 80's!!! Loving it!

I wonder if they still have the Roys one?? Or perhaps Levo . . . ???
wink.gif

The flag went missing after the Richmond game round 21, (as did the one at Carlton, I asked the General to look but alas)apparently it went straight to the museum but seeing is believing, but I do have one original one from the front of the pub when we had flag poles in place, the ones with the Lion on it, I wanted one of the awnings but they dissapeared when the hotel got refurbished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back