www.fitzroyfc.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy Website

Thanks Port Adelaide 1870.
Give us three or four weeks and we should have the start of a decent site.
It was thrown together in late August to get some publicity for the Fitzroy Reds finals campaign and now that nerve tingling campaign has successfully finished, we can turn our attention to getting some real Fitzroy meat onto this site.
As I said, give me another month and you should have plenty to explore.
Bill Atherton
FFC Ltd.

As little as I knew of Fitzroy prior to 1996...

( except for Port Adelaides Champions of Australia win against them in that National series Challenge of Premiers in 1913 )

I accept it was essentially Port Adelaides AFL bid that finished off Fitzroy as a stand alone entity..

At the time I was gleeful..basically for what the AFL, no, the former VFL had planned for the decimation of other Regional leagues like the SANFL..

They did ruin football in SA..Now there are essentially two Victorian liscensed entities playing football out of Adelaide one a former SANFL football club and the other a composite of allsorts......But

with the win by Brisbane..it has changed the landscape completely..the rest of Australia are now the owners of the AFL...no longer Victorians..

soon Port, and Fremantle and Sydney and West coast and Adelaide and Brisbane will be all in the finals and it will transform Football to an even higher plain.

The non use of the 'F' word ( Fitzroy) by Brisbane officials is quite apparent...i.e. "Our Melbourne Supporters "

even though the club is based in Brisbane...If enough Fitzroy supporters begin to follow Brisbane, sooner or later weight of numbers can be used to overun many board desicions and directions..

If its Fitzroy rather than Brisbane for people..good luck ..and well done
I hope Fitzroy can make a resurgence ( a more powerful impact on Brisbane )
than it presently has..

It can only be to the benefit of Australian Football

PA1870

Originally posted by Olmy
Well, I am fine with being called a "Melbourne supporter" of the Brisbane Lions.

The club still makes relevant references to Fitzroy, and the Bears, so I am happy with that! :)

Cheers!

It really is a decision thing isnt it Olmy ? You either go with the Tide or get left behind watching as things sail into the distance..

But seriously...what of the real Fitzroy Football Club Ltd..that still exists and everyone followed until it was ousted from the AFL..what about that club,
that is still tangible and living and is in every respect the living history and embodiment of the F.F.C. that began in 1883 ?

Man, what an emotionally difficult thing that must be.

PA1870

There were more people at Brunswick Street on Sunday morning than at the Gabba that afternoon. I'm a Fitzroy supporter who follows the Lions, not a "Melbourne supporter" of Brisbane. I'd like the Lions officials to note the distinction and give us one Melbourne game next year wearing the Fitzroy jumper.

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870

It really is a decision thing isnt it Olmy ? You either go with the Tide or get left behind watching as things sail into the distance..

But seriously...what of the real Fitzroy Football Club Ltd..that still exists and everyone followed until it was ousted from the AFL..what about that club,
that is still tangible and living and is in every respect the living history and embodiment of the F.F.C. that began in 1883 ?

Man, what an emotionally difficult thing that must be.

PA1870

Yeah, but at the end of the day, I can still say I am a Fitzroy supporter, so I, as we all, have to be happy with that.

Sure, there is a feeling of disappointment with what happened, that will probably never totally go away. However, if we are to make something of Fitzroy, as only Fitzroy supporters can, then we must move on, and continue.

Fitzroy supporters have a number of outlets from which to do so. Whether that be the Fitzroy Reds, the Brisbane Lions, the Fitzroy Juniors, or being involved in social activites (ie: through the Fitzroy Foundation), people have a choice.

No-one can say which is "more" or "less" Fitzroy than another, as it's down to how an individual relates to a particular club. Sometimes, it may just come down to the "vibe" - hardly something that can be quantified!

Personally, I'd like to remember Fitzroy as being more than just the disappointing feelings associated with how the club went in the 1990's. For this reason, I personally feel the need to seek out ways of feeling positive about Fitzroy. This being, supporting clubs like the Reds and the Lions, being involved in a social manner, as well having an interest in any other Fitzroy related team.

I'm sure others on here are the same, in how they approach their support for Fitzroy.

Sure, Fitzroy could be embodied, by merely an ABN, or a particular board of directors. However, that is about as limiting as saying that Fitzroy was also limited to its last AFL playing list, in 1996. No, to me, Fitzroy was, and still is much more than ALL of those things!

As others on here have said, Fitzroy has "infiltrated" a number of clubs. We don't have to support them all, but if you don't support, or take an interest in one/any of them, you are certainly missing out!!!

There's no time for becoming "bitter", if what you really want to do, is to become BETTER.

CARN THE ROYS!!!

Why should one have to support any of the 'infiltrated 'clubs that apparently Fitzroy are involved with or not with, if a person like a lot of former Fitzroy supporters don't follow any clubs at all well and good, and there are a lot.

And if not liking the Brisbane Lions (in reference) makes you bitter then there are a lot of bitter people about.
It doesn't make you better to follow a club, If me aunty had balls etc, now if for instance if Brisbane hadn't made the finals and been an also ran like say West Coast, how much support would they have had in Victoria, most likely bugger all.

I'm not bitter at all but remember I worked for the club and I was told to leave by the Brisbane group for being outspoken on tele, radio and the papers, I went overseas for 7 months, returned then thought bugga I will move to England, I have no footy team anymore, Brisbane even accused me through my Aunty that I stole her membership ticket (my Great Grandfathers from 1884), when one of their directors actually have it, and won't give it up, and no Olmy I'm not having a shot at you, just venting my spleen.

Originally posted by Levo
Why should one have to support any of the 'infiltrated 'clubs that apparently Fitzroy are involved with or not with, if a person like a lot of former Fitzroy supporters don't follow any clubs at all well and good, and there are a lot.

And if not liking the Brisbane Lions (in reference) makes you bitter then there are a lot of bitter people about.
It doesn't make you better to follow a club, If me aunty had balls etc, now if for instance if Brisbane hadn't made the finals and been an also ran like say West Coast, how much support would they have had in Victoria, most likely bugger all.

I'm not bitter at all but remember I worked for the club and I was told to leave by the Brisbane group for being outspoken on tele, radio and the papers, I went overseas for 7 months, returned then thought bugga I will move to England, I have no footy team anymore, Brisbane even accused me through my Aunty that I stole her membership ticket (my Great Grandfathers from 1884), when one of their directors actually have it, and won't give it up, and no Olmy I'm not having a shot at you, just venting my spleen.

Well, as I said earlier, people don't have to support a club, but yes, IMO it is a far better experience, if people do continue to have an interest in some form of Fitzroy.

That is at least, how I feel, from my experiences. In 1997 and 1998, I didn't truly support a club. I took an interest in, and gave my moral support to the Brisbane Lions and some of the things that Fitzroy were involved in. But mainly, I was more interested in going to see the past Fitzroy blokes running around in the AFL (no matter who they were playing for).

At the start of 1999, I decided to become more 'involved' in supporting the various Fitzroy, and Lions teams, for the reason that the two previous years had not been a very fulfilling experience for me. Since then I've been a member of Fitzroy, Coburg-Fitzroy, and the Lions, and whilst it doesn't replace the Fitzroy of 1996, it is at least better, for me, than to stay at home and have no further footballing interest.

Likewise, I didn't say that not supporting the Brisbane Lions, was being bitter. I know quite a number of Fitzroy supporters, who don't support the Brisbane Lions, and I wouldn't call them bitter.

I was talking about being bitter in the general sense, in that "bitterness" over what happened, is the only thing that people can remember about Fitzroy. I'm not saying I liked what happened, but there is no way we can change it, so IMO, the best way to deal with it, is to make the best of something, at least.

It might be true, that the Brisbane Lions wouldn't have as much support, had the on-field success not been there. But that is the same as any club. The Reds have far more crowd support, since being a successful side too. The deal is, to make the most of it, while you have the success, and try and get these people to stay on board from that point.

I'm not saying that people have to become die-hard supporters of any particular club/team. However, surely taking an interest, even going to see a game or two, is surely a good thing.

Then you also have the social functions. The Fitzroy Foundation Dinner for example. I know of a number of Fitzroy people who go to that every season, and say that it is a highlight of the year - regardless of whether they support a team or not.

This is the type of thing I'm talking about. People being able to say they are STILL Fitzroy supporters, rather than ex-Fitzroy supporters.

Surely it's better to have good memories of the club, and even to be able match those with the good times that club like the Reds, or the Lions can offer.

Anyway, that's how I see things, through my experiences. I'm not denying others their feelings, just putting mine forward! :)

Yes I do know where every is coming from and I admire that in people if they can follow someone else, well and good.

And I do admire blokes like you Olmy I tried to understand, but to no avail.

I followed the Coburg-Lions but that again was ripped from under us again, I doubt whether i would have followed the Fitzroy- Bullants once bitten twice shy, but the Reds are different I started going in 1997, still not the same but a good bunch of blokes and sheilas, especially after there loss in the Granny of 1999, when they bought me and Mobben' (he doesn't remember) drinks and even congratulated us in their speeches for attending.

They make you feel at home like Fitzroy did, a big happy family, but I get annoyed with blokes like Wayde, who have been there for 5 minutes.

Well I will still hide out from them, but Arthur Wilson knows were I am, only gunna be back for a visit for the Grand Prix and a race meeting at Flemington.
Too much work in the UK for Aussies who want to work, so will continue for awhile, not to sure whether UK Roy was at the game but the North London Lions won over here beating the Wimbledon Hawks, with a crowd of 2000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that we were going to call a truce, Levo.

I AM NOT A FLY BY NIGHTER, I HAVE SUPPORTED THE LIONS FOR ALL OF MY 21 YEARS, my dad's a long time supporter as well as my grandfather,a danish immigrant who took to the game quickly and supported the Lions through all the tough times, including the dismal 1960's.

I too know those who have given up on the AFL, some are now supporting local football, including a fella named Eric Grimshaw, who had signage at the Western Oval but who couldn't get into the Brisbane Lions, so he decided to support the Panton Hill Football Club, where his company (Blue Gum Clothing) has been a major sponsor of Panton Hill since 1997, and there are others like my grandfather, who aren't supporting anybody at the moment.

I am not anti Fitzroy because I have chosen to support the Brisbane Lions (even though I mainly support local football).

I might head down to a Reds game next year, and hopefully see most of you in person and set a few thing straight.

No worries Wayde but refering to a truce look at the times might haver been a minute between both postings BT (before truce).
Yes I know about Eric as I assisted getting Eric over to Fitzroy when I was in Marketing, are Blue Gum still in operation?.

Yes, Eric Grimshaw still has the factory in Abbotsford, I haven't been at Panton Hill for awile, but I know that he still sponsors the footy and cricket club, because his son plays cricket there and most of the cricketers play footy for the redbacks (Panton Hill) as well and they were able to put in a good word to him, and he gives a lot of work to a lot of kids in the area, so he's a grouse bloke all round, and a great person to have for Panton Hill.

And he makes all Panton Hill's gear for footy and cricket, and they are the bets kitted out club in the DVFL and the DVCA.

P.S I think he also sponsores North Melbourne now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back