Team Captain
Suspended
Mar 6, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
cricket
One of the real grudge matches of the competition.

Haileybury haven't lost to Xavier in about 5 years - but there's been a few close ones in that time. Will HC's star Yr 11s control the game or will XC's depth see them through.... Interesting encounter!

Matchups?

Martin - Quality small rover (177cm/70kg) who has lead the bloods in hard gets and disposals this year. Needs to be tagged - Romanin is the man for the job. One of the better taggers in the comp IMO.

Sanfillipo (182/78) - Will he play? Sore foot kept him out last week I think and apparently facing a test. If he does, he adds genuine class to their midfield. Knights team-mate Cotchin rates him as one of their best at Northern, I wonder if Piggin will go to him?

Meehan - Has been in good form up forward slotting a few. May have his work cut out if Noonan (190/80) says G'day in the opening minutes.

Wynne (190/85) - Hasn't had the same spark as '06 where he was a marking machine, showed glimpses of form against Scotch and is due. Surely his Sandy team-mate Lynch (190/75) would be savouring this match up!

Vickery (198/79) - Best ruckman in the APS IMO. Commands the corridor and has an amazing engine. Up and comer Ulbrick has been pretty impressive this year, but he will have to go up a notch to trouble the big unit.

Thomas - Quick, slick and 1st pick of the Xavier crew for me. Runs and runs - Scully has the tank to go with him, but don't want to lose the Yr 10s creative ability being too negative. A head to head battle would be one to enjoy!

Nicolopoulos (180/77)- Down from his lofty standards last year, but looked better last week with a bag of four. Extremely dangerous near goal and loves playing Xavs (kicked bags in both games in '06) Must be given the respect he deserves. Ambrose has the height and nous for this one.

Armstrong - Honest and a workhorse. He's their engine. A battle looms with the HC mayestro Ash Smith. They may not play on each other, but they will both be around the stoppages alot. COLOR]

Lillie - Top bloke and the Captain has a big job to do. He's a vital part of the bloods line up because of his workrate up forward or in the ruck and also because he's like their only Yr 12. Expect the big unit Sweeney to get the call up if he lodges in the square. May be needed down back though with Xavs dangerous forwards.

O'Sullivan (185/80)- Sometimes erratic, often breathtaking - regularly takes a spekky or kicks a freak goal. Never stops trying and is therefore a potential match-winner. Along with Ryan, Kennedy, Buckley and Lees they may be the ones to get under Lynchy's guard.

My tip.... the weather is a big factor here and so is the home ground advantage. I think Xavs have more to play for and will sneak home in a close one. Haileybury's form has been pretty good - considering they've had a couple of injuries and lost players to Vic Metro.

Final word - Xavier by 4 points!!!

hmmm not a bad analysis but i think there were some players who u missed. Is tormey playing? Some real xavier quality davo that u missed i thought u knew better but i dont want to mention them considering their cover hasnt been blown yet

• Banned
What, like Grigg, Smith and Molan?
Crikey - how many do you want me to name.

What, like Grigg, Smith and Molan?
Crikey - how many do you want me to name.
nah mate u did well, dont worry about them.
Hailibury will have a tough time sorting out which back men to play on Santilli, Wynne, Smith and Daniher. Opening quarter be the difference i suspect

a few thing wrong there. Perri is a small crumber, doubt a key position player like noonan would take him. Haileybury's key position forwards are Plugger Meehan at full forward, and millard at chf, both are okay but nothing special, with most of there goals coming from midfield.

Also Ash Smith is on Dandenong Stingrays list, and made vic metro initial squad bottom age.

How to beat Haileybury:
Lynch:: As has been said will most likely take Wynne, Lynch provides a lot of run out of defence, therefore whoever he goes to should take him back to the goal square. If he does go to Wynne playing closer to goal, and kicking a few may get his confidence up.

Martin: Martin is Haileybury's best midfielder and must be tagged, runs forward of the play and kicks goals. Very good mark overhead for his size and dangerous when resting up forward.

Smith:: Provides a lot of run off half back and Haileybury like to use him as a loose man in defence at times. This cannot be allowed even if it means playing 7 forwards.

Vickery:: Will win majority of hit outs, so Xavier must be ready to read his taps. Like to drop a kick behind play and help control the corridor. Also must be ready for when he rests up forward, to have a match up.

Nicolopolous:: Goal kicking onballer, however I would have your best midfielder (Sanfillipo) oppose him (if this can be manouevered), as he at times only runs one way.

Other players of note include captain Lillie, who fills holes at either end, piggin an hard at it unfashionable midfielder, and mccormick who is similar. Scully is also in the midfield, very creative with ball in hand, however very lightly framed and strong tackling early can take away his confidence.

Their midfielders are quite lightly bodied, and st kevs thrashed them in the clearances, this should be Xavier's focus.

Also Ash Smith is on Dandenong Stingrays list, and made vic metro initial squad bottom age.
I was going to say, Davo's normally sharper than that! Hasn't played for the Stingrays in the season proper though with AIS and school footy. Great game last week across half back, in the midfield and then finishing up in the forward line and kicking a few late goals. Very impressive.

Lynch:: As has been said will most likely take Wynne, Lynch provides a lot of run out of defence, therefore whoever he goes to should take him back to the goal square.
Last week he was forward all day. Does he play more back or forward at school footy?

Nicolopolous:: Goal kicking onballer, however I would have your best midfielder (Sanfillipo) oppose him (if this can be manouevered), as he at times only runs one way.

Sanfilppo is too good a player to be wasted tagging, Johnny is super quick and destroyed Evans at the Maytime game last year, this year the same mistake will not be made, I'm going to go with Anthony Hachem as a real outsider or tough nut Ryan Craig to stick with him when on the ball. Hachem is as quick as a rocket and Craigy is as tough as nails, both would be interesting match ups.

Vickery-Ulbrick is the one that will attract my attention, been talked up all year, can Ulbrick smother Vickery's effectiveness or will Vickery just dominate?

Kennedy could really step in this big game with so many key match ups, may be slip under the radar and dominate.

Selection and match-ups will be crucial. Both Hailbury and Xavier have their large number of guns but hailbury has little depth. Similarly there are a number of overrated xaverians. Hailbury may have touch of class on ball but i feel that the xavier rotations will gradually see them take control of the game and win the game in the 2nd half. should be a cracker

will be a great game with xavier having a little edge at the start with only losing one game and having the home ground advantage, will be some very good match ups!!

Sanfilppo is too good a player to be wasted tagging, Johnny is super quick and destroyed Evans at the Maytime game last year, this year the same mistake will not be made, I'm going to go with Anthony Hachem as a real outsider or tough nut Ryan Craig to stick with him when on the ball. Hachem is as quick as a rocket and Craigy is as tough as nails, both would be interesting match ups.

I didn't say to tag him I meant for sanfilippo to go head to head, as nicolopolous can at times just run forward of the play, and I believe sanflippo is the better player and could exploit this, so xavier would come out ahead.

You can't tag too many of their onballers and as stated martin is the better of the two and is the one I would tag.

I was going to say, Davo's normally sharper than that! Hasn't played for the Stingrays in the season proper though with AIS and school footy. Great game last week across half back, in the midfield and then finishing up in the forward line and kicking a few late goals. Very impressive.

Last week he was forward all day. Does he play more back or forward at school footy?

Has played predominately in defence in the games I have seen, however went forward when Haileybury needed to come back against st kevs.(May also have been because of slight injury). Have seen him get bog for sandy dragons on the wing, so obviously a very versatile player. With Xavier tall forwards and haileybury's lack of key defenders I believe he will play in defence for this game

davo you may know the xavier players well...but you made a couple of errors with the haileybury blokes...it's fantastic to see good players from the bloods going under the radar...perhaps u will be pleasantly surprised come match day...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate it doesn't matter what I think really if they're under the radar.

No doubt the Xavier coaches will know exactly who to keep an eye on.

That's what you have to worry about.

I can tell you one thing - they would have footage of Haileybury from the past few weeks. They have spies everywhere.

Hasn't played for the Stingrays in the season proper though with AIS and school footy. Great game last week across half back, in the midfield and then finishing up in the forward line and kicking a few late goals. Very impressive.
do u think smith will get drafted Footy man?

a few thing wrong there. Perri is a small crumber, doubt a key position player like noonan would take him. Haileybury's key position forwards are Plugger Meehan at full forward, and millard at chf, both are okay but nothing special, with most of there goals coming from midfield.

How to beat Haileybury:
Lynch:: As has been said will most likely take Wynne, Lynch provides a lot of run out of defence, therefore whoever he goes to should take him back to the goal square. If he does go to Wynne playing closer to goal, and kicking a few may get his confidence up.

Martin: Martin is Haileybury's best midfielder and must be tagged, runs forward of the play and kicks goals. Very good mark overhead for his size and dangerous when resting up forward.

Smith:: Provides a lot of run off half back and Haileybury like to use him as a loose man in defence at times. This cannot be allowed even if it means playing 7 forwards.

Vickery:: Will win majority of hit outs, so Xavier must be ready to read his taps. Like to drop a kick behind play and help control the corridor. Also must be ready for when he rests up forward, to have a match up.

Other players of note include captain Lillie, who fills holes at either end, piggin an hard at it unfashionable midfielder, and mccormick who is similar. Scully is also in the midfield, very creative with ball in hand, however very lightly framed and strong tackling early can take away his confidence.

Their midfielders are quite lightly bodied, and st kevs thrashed them in the clearances, this should be Xavier's focus.

If the hailebury guys are lightly bodied the Xavs should have a bit of an advantage. SOS- tall unit, 80 kilos. Sanfillipo- tall unit, 78. Kennedy- tall unit- 80, Armstrong small unit- 80 etc

Mate it doesn't matter what I think really if they're under the radar.

No doubt the Xavier coaches will know exactly who to keep an eye on.

That's what you have to worry about.

I can tell you one thing - they would have footage of Haileybury from the past few weeks. They have spies everywhere.

Well only a few days till match day when xavs "school spirit" is put to the test against the under dogs in haileybury lets see if xavs "spies" have done a good enough job

I reckon bloods will get up

Should be very close and a fight to the end. This "school spirit" tag shouldnt be used . Both teams will be playing like hell for their seasons are on the line. Hailbury have some awesome players and have had the wood over xavier recently (wonder why?) but xavier has improved and have some players who could take the game away from hailbury

Should be very close and a fight to the end. This "school spirit" tag shouldnt be used . Both teams will be playing like hell for their seasons are on the line. Hailbury have some awesome players and have had the wood over xavier recently (wonder why?) but xavier has improved and have some players who could take the game away from hailbury

i dont see why the "school spirit" tag shouldnt be used its what xavier reckon they have that no other school has, well that and the best players in melbourne who are all going to get drafted casue theyre all just so good and probaly go on to all win the brownlow and captain every afl team cause xavier are just the best team going around in the aps

set to be an absolute cracker of a game. big crowd expected??? i reckon its to tight to call who will come out victors in this one unless i give my biased point of view. so many good players out on the field at once, i dont know if theyw ill all get matche dup but certainly a few will.
who could potentially win the game for both sides?

Weather will dictate the result. I think the rain plays straight into Xavier's hands. They have a lot of in and under types. Haileybury got owned by St Kevins in the area. Haileybury push forward too much - can't do that on a wet day, must play honet footy. They better pray it dries out, especially on the Roche. Even Hawkins and Ellis couldn't beat a depleted Xavier there last year in the wet. Horrid Oval when it turns ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back