Yer Know What I Just Realised?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mobben

I think I saw us play a draw at the Junction Oval in the late 70's.

We didn't have many of them though, always seemed to either just get up or just get beaten in the close ones.

Rabs

Fitzroy has played in 25 drawn matches (only 3 since 1970), the last being in Round 1 1982 against Carlton at Princes Park.

Rabs, you're probably thinking of the 17.16-118 all draw against Collingwood at the Junction Oval in Round 8 1980.

No need to see Dan - it was a streak of 332 non-drawn matches, Fitzroy's longest. Of the traditional clubs, only Melbourne, Geelong and Hawthorn had less drawn matches in the 1970-1996 period (two apiece).

The record streak of non-drawn matches is 462 matches by Melbourne between R18 1971 and R7 1992. Fitzroy's streak is the sixth longest on record.

Brain

I remember that game now against Carlton. I was at the scoreboard end in the cheer squad, although I can't really remember the specifics of the game.

And the one against Collingwood was a good game for memory. We had a shocker of a year losing lots of games by less than 2 goals, and if a few of these had gone our way we could have made the finals. Even with John rantall, Len Thompson and Max Richardson in our side!!!

Rabs,

6 games in 1980 were decided by 2 goals or less, against Hawthorn (3 points), Carlton (4 points), Essendon (6 and 5 points!), Collingwood (9 points) and Melbourne (12 points). The Roys also lost to Melbourne (12 points), Geelong (15 points twice) and South (17 points).

All this despite scoring perfectly decent scores. The Carlton game was lost despite scoring 20.22-142 (to 21.20-146). Fitzroy failed to reach 100 points only four times that year, but racked up just four wins for the season.

What was going on with that defence?

that Carlton game is included on on the VEG Fitzroy Best of videos... we came back from the dead in the last quarter and then hit the lead, only to have a Carlton kick land in the goalsquare as the final siren went which was punched through by Blues player.

The video shows a great shot of Roy #25 Terry O'Neill (moustache) given 'the bird' to a Carlton player on the mark at one stage. Nowadays that would earn him a $5000 'please explain' letter. Back then it was compulsory to give anything Carlton related 'the bird'. Except of course, the Bluebirds....

Which reminds me - anyone remember the Roys equivalent of the Bluebirds. The Lionesses from memory?? What year was that - it was shortlived....

Brain

We did have "cheerleaders" of sorts in about 1981/82.

It was about the same time they changed the Kevin Murray Stand to a reserve for coterie members, and all ordinary members congregated at that little white stand next to the scoreboard.

I remember seeing them only at home games, which was a thrill only surpassed by getting a g'day from Paula Duncan or Linda Stoner.

Can you remember when the Paddle Pop lion used to make an appearance at the world famous Junction Oval?

The white grandstand without a name... that stand used to rock. As a kid we used to get to the Junction at 11am in time for the ressies, just to get a front row spot in the second level up. Used to sit with the same people week in week out. The Cop Shop folk used to sit in the row behind us, about a dozen seats over my right shoulder. The 3AW broadcast box was up the back in the middle... that grandstand would rock from side to side whenever we went nuts, which was quite often. You could hear the fear in Harry Beitzel's voice on the radio as I'm sure he thought the place would collapse from the foot stamping.

I was back at the Junction just after they'd pulled down the white stand. Nearly cried as I didn't know that stand was going. Thankfully the kept the Kevin Murray and Blackie-Ironmonger stands. It really was a great little ground the Junction.

Other vivid memories of that time:

Yep, I remember the Paddle Pop lion.
The 'electronic' scoreboard at the Fitzroy St end. When Bernie kicked the ton it flashed '100' on it... special effects.
The merchandise stand under the Kevin Murray stand.
Kicking to the Lake end, more often than not, Bernie would kick it straight out of the ground and into the tennis courts out the back.
The running out onto the ground after the game towards the race - if you were lucky you could get in. And how great it was in there after a win.
The Sunday Family days at the Junction were a hoot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tell you jokers something , I never get sick of reading your threads. Every one brings a smile to my face. I never went to the Junction for VFL, only Demons training etc, but it must have been a great place to watch footy. A real "suburban feel" about it, not some sanitised concrete theatre.

Mario Bortolotto was the player who punched the ball through for a point as the siren was sounding to register a draw for the Blues. in that '82 game. It all came about I think due to a controversial holding the ball decision against Mick Conlan. (May have been umpire Glen James). I have a feeling that Val Perovic was reported in this game for striking Matt Rendell. I'm pretty sure I have this game on tape too.

As for the Junction Oval, we used to have reserved seats in the Blackie Ironmonger stand. About four rows in front of the opposition coaches box and one row behind the world famous Tommy Couch.

Another cracker about games at the Junction Oval was that you could go onto the ground at 3/4 time during the ressies, and listen to what the coach was saying.

In fact I reckon it was the first time I ever heard a grown up use the f word to describe someone. Norm Dare was playing coach and he told Noel Mugavin that he wasn't "rip van effing winkle".

Harvey Merrigan was also playing in the game as well.

Another memory was getting a dollar or two from my Mum and going and buying some of the players name things to sew onto my duffle coat. Names like Barry Padley, John Murphy (although I sacked him when he went to South), David McMahon all adorned my arm, just like Les Parish's tatts. I was just about the only kid in Moorabbin to barrack for the Roys, let alone have a cracker duffle coat.

Funny the things you remember.

re. Junction Oval Ressies. Now that was great - you could go on b4 the ressies for a kick, then run out behind the boys as they ran on the ground, go out at qtr time to listen in, then have another kick at half time as well..... and I remember when Max Richardson came over from Collingwood to coach our Ressies in the late 70s. He'd be the 20th man, as all of a sudden if things were bad (read - dire) he'd run on off the bench for a kick, wispy hair combover like Bartlett....

Mobbenfuhrer: I can't believe I've got one over you. You never saw a game at the Junction? My first Roy game was the last at the Junction. And the Paddle Pop lion was there. And Bernie kicked his hundredth and the scoreboard flashed. I distinctly remember that me and my bro couldn't see over the crowd so Dad had to pay an extra five bucks to get us into the seated area at the front of the terraces. He was not impressed.

Nice pic BTW.

In other news, I am now a married man. :cool:

Junction Oval, was the bees knees of a ground, we used to stand in front of the grill into the change rooms on our eskys and you could hear Wallsy giving his speech.
The Social Club Bar (StKilda Sports Bar), everyone would congregate after a game and hear the Pope of the day announced (Best Player), Gail was always there with her hubby Hike (Tresurer of the Hells Angels).
The disco upstairs every Satdy, more fun and games, the players were regulars Conlan and his brother Reece the McMahon Bros, you name them they were there.
And **** did we win a lot of games there, my mate Andy Kopchinski got arrested there for attacking Bill Deller after a Collingwood game.
Another mate (Peter Faull) used to replay the whole game in the Ritz afterwards goal by goal, and we would make a mint, such was his memory.
The sight of Micky running amok, Bundy, Superboot, Macca, John Frazer, Laurie Richards marking, Peter Keays, Big Ron, Sidey, Ian McCulloch, Thommo, **** we had some champions play down at the Junction, the best sight was waiting for Jimmy Hannan when he brought his daughter Melissa down, bloody hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back