Richmond , Victoria
Who is your favourite author and their best book/s

For me it's John Grisham
Best book , can't split --
The Rainmaker
A Painted House
( both good movies too )

Most disappointing --- The Brethren

This is a hard one because i have an eclectic taste in books ...i don't have a single favorite but some of my all time favorite read are from authors such as :
Bill Bryson
Ken Follet
Wilbur Smith
Sharon Penman

I also couldn't possibly narrow it down to one author. A few of my favourites would be:

Charles Dickens - Dombey and Son
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Milan Kundera - Immortality
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

Foucault's Pendulum is intellectual hogwash.

*Everything* Eco writes is intellectual hogwash....but its funny, clever intellectual hogwash with an astounding command not just of several languages, but of the very nature of meaning.

...and Foucault's Pendulum has (a) waaaay fewer monks than TNotR, (b) a much better spin on the grail mythology than that horrific, cartoonishly simple pile of dogshiat that will remain unnamed but half the world is apparently enamored of, and (c) takes the piss out of absotively everyone.

in short, it pwns.

James Clavell is favorite author:
- Noble House (favourite book)
- Shogun
- All the other Asian saga books are just brilliant too :)

Robin Hobb not far behind:
- Farseer and Liveship trilogies (favourite series), cannot separate out a favourite book in these series.

Special mentions to:
- LOTR (yearly reread as a kid)
- Harry Potter series
- Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin
- Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Matthew Reilly action books
- The Stand by Stephen King

James Clavell is favorite author:
- Noble House (favourite book)
- Shogun
- All the other Asian saga books are just brilliant too :)

Robin Hobb not far behind:
- Farseer and Liveship trilogies (favourite series), cannot separate out a favourite book in these series.

Special mentions to:
- LOTR (yearly reread as a kid)
- Harry Potter series
- Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin
- Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
- Matthew Reilly action books
- The Stand by Stephen King
Some good authors and series there. Quite a few I have. Since I read fantasy I'll go with favourite series more then favourite authors.

My favourite author is Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time - though only just shading ASoIaF. Up to and including book 6, it was so far ahead of anything else though. He should never have seperated Mat from the Band of the Red Hand.

Other favourites are
GRR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
Tolkien - Lord of the Rings - what started me on fantasy, waayyyy back over twenty years ago now at age 11.
Robin Hobb - Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. Liveship series though I found incredibly painful to read. I only finished it due to it being set between the other two good triologies and didn't want to be missing any info. As a stand alone series I would have put it down half way through book 1.
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series
Raymond Fiest - Magician is my all-time favourite book, though the Riftwar trilogy it's part of is about number 3 on my list of favourite series.
Stephen King - The Dark Tower - I like his horror stuff as well, but this series was (by his own admission) his grand opus of a work. Other then the Dark Tower, I'd probably agree that 'The Stand' was his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to go past Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for mind. Any Discworld novel is as good as the next in my opinion, couldn't pick a favourite. I rate Neil Gaiman's American Gods as my favourite book.

Needless to say the Pratchett/Gaiman Good Omens collaboration hits the spot for me as well.

Chuck Palahniuk is also pretty readable, some of his stuff is pretty disturbing. Love his style.

Hard to go past Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for mind. Any Discworld novel is as good as the next in my opinion, couldn't pick a favourite. I rate Neil Gaiman's American Gods as my favourite book.

Needless to say the Pratchett/Gaiman Good Omens collaboration hits the spot for me as well.

Chuck Palahniuk is also pretty readable, some of his stuff is pretty disturbing. Love his style.

Terry Pratchett rules.

Crivens. I can't believe I am agreeing with Catfish Jake on something.

I also couldn't possibly narrow it down to one author. A few of my favourites would be:

Charles Dickens - Dombey and Son
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Milan Kundera - Immortality
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

I bought this last year and i haven't read it yet. I read The unbearable lightness of being over 12 years ago and i remembered it being very good but challenging.

I'm sure Immortality would be similar, is it worth the challenge you say?

An astonishingly good book, one in which the descriptive prose can almost bring tears to your eyes it is so evocvative.

However, I will admit from time to time having to flip back to the family tree listed in the preface to check which José Arcadio and Aureliano was which.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back