Your first car

Remove this Banner Ad

There's an elegant simplicity to the old red/blue motors.
By the time the VK rolled around they were in the final 'black' iteration.

The one thing the VK did have going for it was the Brock 304, which was better than the versions they replaced it with when they had their split.

Most powerful natural aspirated 6 in the world for a while. Still powerful by modern standards.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
It took a turbo Barra motor to beat it in Australia
I see some online now with ali heads,fuel injection and turbos getting scary power
Funnily enough it seems South Australia is the mecca for old Valiants

Was pretty decent car as a kid growing up on the surf coast. Could just throw things in the back and was good to go. Had some fun road trips with it.

ad-assets%2F22132--78%2Ffield_images%2Fds_22132__78_08_020.jpg

Good to see that the restoration and modification of Valiants seems to be in S.A.
Friend of mine had a late 60s one as his first car, god knows how a schoolboy could afford to run of those now but when the apocalypse comes it'll be the cockroachs and those cars left.

A guy that lives up the road had triple Webbers on his 202 ute. It made a noise but * it was smelly.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Used to change the oil, oil filter and 6 spark plugs in a couple of minutes on a 186. Changed the intake manifold and carburettor (to a 350 Holley, even changed the jets and put in a new linkage cable) myself, replaced the water pump and oil pump, hoses, gaskets etc.

Had a 90s Holden with the Ecotec V6 when I was at uni and was fiddly job just to reattach one spark plug lead that had come loose. A normal person would've let the manifolds cool down first.

Currently have a 10 year old car and the most I've done is pump up the tyres. Open the engine bay and it's just a series of plastic covers. All the mechanic does is change the oil and plug in the computer lead.

1984_Ford_Falcon_%28XE%29_GL_sedan_%288459675677%29.jpg

Not this exact one, but one very like it.

After a few years, got the engine rebuilt by Chev Offroad and Marine Engines in Caulfield which took it up to 230hp. Could be a bit of a handful in the wet when it came on the cam. (Which felt a lot at the time, but still fewer than the stock Barra in the last XR6 I owned)

Don't think I ever had four working door handles at any one time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1970 HG Kingswood.
Brother was an apprentice panel beater so had it straightened out and resprayed for the cost of the paint, British Racing Green.
My other mods: 186 recon, Trimatic, air shocks, extractors and twin system, sports steering wheel, Pool Ball on shifter

1994 EF falcon with a bench seat. Then had a Mazda 323, s**t load of work cars and then 2012 Corolla followed by a recent return to a 90s falcon with a 98 XH panel van that I have slowly been doing up. Has genie extractors, cat exhaust, lowered, jelly beans and custom leather interior with head unit.

Screenshot_20220531-213349.png
Screenshot_20220531-213547.png
Screenshot_20220531-213427.png
Screenshot_20220531-213522.png

I had a crisp blue Holden Commodore VK that ran on dual fuel.

The highlight was paying about 12 bucks for a tank that ran about 450kms. Dont think it ever got serviced (save for me checking water and oil).

The gas adapter thingy had this neoprene sock that would sometimes slip down and expose fresh air which would make the car backfire and usually stall. That sucked. But being able to pop the hood and fix it with a bit of duct tape (and literally no idea about car engines) did occasionally make me look mildly cool.

88 Mitsubishi Magna station wagon. Really handy and could sleep in the back if need be.
Had the turning circle of a B double and would struggle uphill with a boot full of camping gear but the engine was rock solid.

2006 Toyota Camry Sportivo V6

Loved it.

Loved it so much I left it parked on the street with the keys in it one night. Came out for work at 6am the next morning it was gone. Rang the police, said they'd look for it. I headed off to work, as I'm on the way there the cops call me and say they've found it, it was taken by 3 DHS kids who got in a chase trying to drive it to Ballarat. It ran out of fuel and they dumped it down a massive hill into a ditch that leads into a river/lake thing.

I'm like "yeah I'll go check it out later"

The cops ring me back an hour later and in his toughest, meanest police voice says

"now i've got these ******* kids here mate, you wouldn't believe it but they're trying to tell me the keys were in it, the little campaigners"

I'm like "ahh yeah mate the keys were in it..."

"ya kidding?"

"nah"

"alright, great"

anyway went and found the car, totally written off. was fully smashed up, interior was absolutely trashed, mirrors all broken. then one of the dumb little shits left a wallet in there! i open the wallet and its got a piece of paper with a name on it, i call the police and say i found this with this name and they're like "yeah that's the kid that's done it, he's left his own wallet in there wtf". the kids were two 15 yr old boys and a 14 yr old girl.

anyway, I somehow got $10k back on insurance - paid $13k for it 2 years prior.

1962 Pontiac Catalina, 389 V8, 4 barrel Carburetor

Had an absolute ball in that car.

Ran like a champ until I lost the brakes at over 100MPH, interesting ride that one.

pontiac-catalina-4-door-sedan-side-riksettanrallyt-2018-1-541335.jpg

Now that’s a car. I recall my old man driving a Chevy impala pillar-less 4 door (67 model I think).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back