Club History Your memories of Swans legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Its funny because I take a loss like last week pretty hard when we have such great hopes for this year but I only have to start reminiscing in my head about some of the great enjoyment the club and the likes of Kel have given over the years and its happy days again.
You sound like a great South Man OZ so just as a matter of interest what years were Skipper at the Districts U17'S and who were some of the blokes who you were playing with there around that time ? Know one bloke who used to post on this Board who has often told me how he played with Districts on a Saturday morning and still make it over to the Lake by 2.00pm to sneak into the Old members stand to watch the Bloods.

Sneak? The guy on the old red door at lakeside used to know everyone form the districts and let you straight in, those days that door would take you straight along the race and even the average punter could even access the rooms on a good day.

Sneak? The guy on the old red door at lakeside used to know everyone form the districts and let you straight in, those days that door would take you straight along the race and even the average punter could even access the rooms on a good day.

Yes and if you could get that far you get onto the terrace in front of the Stand and rub shoulders with the beer potted belly of the late Maurice Fields in his gabadene over coat standing with his cronies with his resplendid quaff being slickly combed back with Californian Poppy.

Yes and if you could get that far you get onto the terrace in front of the Stand and rub shoulders with the beer potted belly of the late Maurice Fields in his gabadene over coat standing with his cronies with his resplendid quaff being slickly combed back with Californian Poppy.

I was lucky as I played in the genuine little league under Booby Petris and Daryl Flannigan I was allowed total access anywhere I wanted, also helped that I was a little snowy haired kid that everyone loved to rub my head I was always in the rooms before the seniors ran out barking encouragement often using swear words, in hindsight to the senior players that would have been amusing.

I was lucky as I played in the genuine little league under Booby Petris and Daryl Flannigan I was allowed total access anywhere I wanted, also helped that I was a little snowy haired kid that everyone loved to rub my head I was always in the rooms before the seniors ran out barking encouragement often using swear words, in hindsight to the senior players that would have been amusing.

Jesus Baja how old are you ?

I was at both of those games, great times.

As was I.

Pretty sure the smother was from the foot of Ron DeOlio (sp?) and it was literally 'off the foot', an unbelievably brave smother. That Carlton game was Kelly and Kouta at their very best, a massive tussle. Actually was on a footy trip and watched the game in the Carlton Social Club. We celebrated loudly and proudly and were lucky to get out alive. Carlton truly took that loss tough, given it ended a 20+ game winning streak at home.

As others noted, great memories of that year with the two Princes Park wins against Carlton and Norf along with the Richmond 1 pointer at Waverley earlier in the year. Even the game we lost against Essendon at the G later in the year was memorable for the Plugger report on Barry Young which caused the groin injury which kept him out until PF night and THAT point...

Its funny because I take a loss like last week pretty hard when we have such great hopes for this year but I only have to start reminiscing in my head about some of the great enjoyment the club and the likes of Kel have given over the years and its happy days again.

You sound like a great South Man OZ so just as a matter of interest what years were Skipper at the Districts U17'S and who were some of the blokes who you were playing with there around that time ? Know one bloke who used to post on this Board who has often told me how he played with Districts on a Saturday morning and still make it over to the Lake by 2.00pm to sneak into the Old members stand to watch the Bloods.

CM,

U'15's was 75 & 76, U'17's was 77 &78.. I think.. it was a long time ago...

Used to do exactly the same, finishing playing, then

CM,

I think it was 75, 76 in U'15's & 77 & 78 in U'17's but was a long time ago...

Used to do the same thing re playing in the morning, over to the Lake Oval, get some doughnuts from the van outside the members area, then up into the old cricket club grand stand & meet up with a few young ladies... Ahhh yes, those were the days...

CM,

I went to school with & was best mates with Martie Fields. Was always saying Hi to the old man there, at his home & at the Danish Club on Beaconsfield Parade... And the drunker that Maurie got, the bluer the jokes...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CM,

I went to school with & was best mates with Martie Fields. Was always saying Hi to the old man there, at his home & at the Danish Club on Beaconsfield Parade... And the drunker that Maurie got, the bluer the jokes...
Maurie was hilarious in person, that high voice, "get me a bloody pot of beer will ya mate". sadly both Maurie and the Danish Club are gone.

As was I.

Pretty sure the smother was from the foot of Ron DeOlio (sp?) and it was literally 'off the foot', an unbelievably brave smother. That Carlton game was Kelly and Kouta at their very best, a massive tussle. Actually was on a footy trip and watched the game in the Carlton Social Club. We celebrated loudly and proudly and were lucky to get out alive. Carlton truly took that loss tough, given it ended a 20+ game winning streak at home.

As others noted, great memories of that year with the two Princes Park wins against Carlton and Norf along with the Richmond 1 pointer at Waverley earlier in the year. Even the game we lost against Essendon at the G later in the year was memorable for the Plugger report on Barry Young which caused the groin injury which kept him out until PF night and THAT point...

1996 was a good year. I went to that Richmond game at Waverley with my dad (Dees at the time) and brother (Bombers), and when it looked like the Tigers were going to win via a late goal, my brother stood up and cheered like they had won they game, and i must have thought to myself "What a tosser." Little did i know he was cheering on the fact that Richo had given away a free which cost them the game. :D Went to the Roos game as well, was behind the goals where they were constructing the stand at the time. What a dust bowl. Not long after that i was overseas for a month and missed 4 games including that win over Carlton. The only thing i could think about on the flight home was how the Swans were doing. Couldn't even find a newspaper at the airport showing results, had to wait until i got home where i immediately phoned a Swans mate to ask him how we were going to find out we were top of the ladder at the time. Happy days.

edit: I uploaded videos of highlights from that season on Youtube a while ago. (I'm a noob with it so excuse the quality)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back