Your most defining moment for each season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most defining club moments, or moments for you personally re the club, for each season from when you first care to start.

1986 - So close yet so far finals series.
1987 - ?
1988 - Hawthorn annihiliation of Fitzroy at Princes Park (my first ever match that I went to of my own accord).
1989 - Osborne doing his knee.
1990 - Rob Shaw.
1991 - Adelaide tragedy.
1992 - Win over Collingwood.
1993 - Loss of Lynch et al.
1994 - ?
1995 - Move to Western Oval.
1996 - (pretty bloody obvious)

Why is 1994 a blur? Don't answer that!

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer

I've often wondered about the Fitroy supporters' thoughts on the 1986 season. As a Hawks fan, although we had a Second Semi Final loss to Carlton, the only team that really worried me in the finals was Fitzroy.
We were cruising undefeated until we ran into Fitroy at Victoria Park and although we only lost by 14 points, Fitzroy completely outplayed us. Later in the season, Fitzroy handed us a 10 goal drubbing at Princes Park.
I was so worried about the Preliminary Final I could barely watch, but we turned things around to win comfortably and ultimately win the flag.
What I want to know is, do Fitzroy supporters feel the PF was just one of those days, and do they feel cheated in that they let their best chance of a flag go begging?

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Most defining club moments, or moments for you personally re the club, for each season from when you first care to start.

1987 - ?
1988 - Hawthorn annihiliation of Fitzroy at Princes Park (my first ever match that I went to of my own accord).
1989 - Osborne doing his knee.
1990 - Rob Shaw.
1991 - Adelaide tragedy.
1992 - Win over Collingwood.
1993 - Loss of Lynch et al.
1994 - ?
1995 - Move to Western Oval.
1996 - (pretty bloody obvious)

Why is 1994 a blur? Don't answer that!

1987 - we lost a game to Hawthorn at the MCG by 8 points in about round 9/10. Prior to that, we looked alright & heading towards another finals campaign. Alas, the rest of 1987 was a forgetable season.

Re: Re: Your most defining moment for each season?

Originally posted by Adelaide Hawk
I was so worried about the Preliminary Final I could barely watch, but we turned things around to win comfortably and ultimately win the flag.
What I want to know is, do Fitzroy supporters feel the PF was just one of those days, and do they feel cheated in that they let their best chance of a flag go begging?
I think we finished the game off with about 12 fit men. Pretty reasonable effort staying within 9 goals of the Hawks that day especially after seeing the way they dealt with the Blues the following week.

Roys fans are justifiably proud of the '86 side for achieving about as much as was humanly possible. 1983 is the one that irks us.

Re: Re: Re: Your most defining moment for each season?

Originally posted by Mr Ripper

Roys fans are justifiably proud of the '86 side for achieving about as much as was humanly possible. .

Drained every ounce possible out of those boys. With Bernie on last legs, carrying injuries, an ironed out backman seeing stars.... survived on spirit for 2 weeks of the finals - a third was a bit much.

1970 - belting Tigers on the telly !
1970's - watching our champion little guys getting beaten up and narrowly losing.
1978 - AT LAST A FLAG. And beating North as well.
1979 - REVENGE giving teams an almighty thrashing.
1980 - What the ???
1981 - Flea's final quarter v Bombers and enduring the world's longest walk home after the Pies loss. Scared for life.
1982 - Excitement with all the new lads from Doncaster area.
1983 - The North / Bombers games. Bernie's ton. Finals heartbreak.
1984 - The winning streak. Final game at Junction with another Bernie ton.
1985 - Vic Park - why ?
1986 - Good v Evil in EF. The boy from the bush - no 58 (?).
1987 - wheels falling off. Barwick proves to be no Bernie. Coach struggles. Shame.
1988 - wheels fall off.
1989 - beating Dogs in last game when they were resigned to collapse. Ironic.

1976 - My first ever game! (Roys v Dons @ Waverley.)
1977 - Freezing me 8 year old bum off at the Junction during one of Melbourne's iciest winters.
1978 - The night Grannie; Garry Wilson's consistently brilliant form.
1979 - A disappointing one: The round 22 game at Geelong when we imploded in the last ten minutes and blew the double chance.
1980 - ANZAC Day against Richmond. :eek:
1981 - Keeping the Pies to 1 goal for three quarters at Vic Park and securing our finals spot in the process.
1982 - Kicking 1.10 or 1.11 with the wind in the last quarter at Arden St. to go down by 1 point. A win would have theoretically given us North's spot in the finals as they finished 6 Prem. points ahead of us.
1983 - Being two games clear on top after round 8. Unchartered territory!
1984 - Round 22.
1985 - Knocking off Collingwood at Collingwood and killing off their finals hopes after they sledged us on their banner. :D
1986 - The side's efforts throughout the season in the face of adversity.
1987 - The Carlton game in about round 9. Roys going OK, sitting 3rd or 4th on ladder. Leading comfortably at half time in a low scoring match. Parkin, in a bid to get more happening on the scoreboard, shifts Roos off Kernahan and plonks him at half forward. Big mistake. :eek: Roys lose game and hardly fire another shot all year.
1988 - In a close game, Dermott Brereton marking after the half time siren (v. us, naturally) and then passing the ball off to Tony Hall who goals...and the ump giving the all-clear!
1989 - That day at Waverley. We lose to Pies, blow finals chances and Ossie does knee. :sad:
1990 - Scotty Clayton's last game. Shuts down Bradley AND picks up 37 possies.
1991 - The Eagles upset in the last round is an obvious one...but you can add John Ironmonger's matchwinning last quarter against North - his last game too!
1992 - First game v. Essendon. Leading by 16 goals at 3qt brought tears to the eyes of this supporter, particularly after the hardships of recent seasons. Thought we were really on to something.
1993 - Doc Wheildon's kicking yips in the blockbuster Bombers game. Lost by less than a kick.
1994 - Sitting in the rain at Footscray and feeling miserable
1995 - See 1994.
1996 - See 1995.

1973 - First game that I can remember going to against Essendon at the Junction Oval

1975 - Another game at the Junction against Essendon, mainly remember Essendon in red shorts and us in yellow (or as the tried to describe them GOLD) shorts.

1976 - A few games at VFL park. Seem to remember we won a few towards the end of the year and the players were going to get a bonus if we beat Geelong in the last game. NO bonus for the boys. Also this was the year that we picked up Ron Alexander, Bob Beecroft and Max George.

1977 - One really big game against Collingwood at the Junction. We had won a few, and it was one of the rare times we featured on "Sevens Big League".

1978 - This was the year that we started to get things together. Bernie and Walls being recruited, the night grand final win and the fact that we won a few and more importantly weren't being thrashed when we lost. Also the first year we had sponsorship on our jumpers (IOOF).

1979 - Finals!!!

1980 - Len Thompson, John Rantall. Enough said.

1981 - Finals!!! Ross Brewer!!!

1982 -

1983 - Mmmm. Gee we should have won it. I remember we were a really good side. Smashing North Melbourne both time during the year, especially when we beat them by 150 points when they were on top of the ladder.

1984 - Bottom at about the half way mark, and reading in the Sporting Globe that we were some chance of making the five. Got there but did nothing.

1985 - Wasted year, Walls could get nothing out of the players anymore.

1986 - I thought this was going to be the end of us, but making the finals and almost going all the way showed everyone the heart we had. Smirky Dwyers year was one of the alltime greats.

1987 - The events of the previous year really took it out of the boys. Spider Shaw not getting a go.

1988 - Never thought much of Curly.

1989 - Ditto. Ozzies knee. Ressies GF, Dean Lupson. Also the opportunity missed in not merging with Footscray. We would still be Fitzroy, reckon we would have won a premiership or two.

1990 - Rebuild

1991 - Adelaide game

1992 - Roosy against Collingwood at Princes park.

1993 - I though we were going places

1994 - Watching the Roys against the Swans up here in Sydney

1995 - Writing to Dyson absolutley disgusted that he sacked Bernie as coach.

1996 - Last year I had any real interest in footy.

92 or 93, cant remember but it was our last half decent year. Every game we played was a thriller. I will always remember Bewicks goal (oobley doobler torpie that bounced in). That moment like absolutely no other was the hugest kick in the guts I have ever felt. We lost the game by a kick and put our finals aspirations in tatters.

Another defining moment was the second last game I saw of Roy. If my memory serves me correct, the first game we played once it was announced that we were merging with Brisbane was against WCE (I stand corrected?). We were embarrasing the first half (50 odd points down) but came back bit in the 3rd quarter. We still lost by a *%&%^load but I was never as proud as I was at that moment. I think this game might of been Molloys famous dummyspit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back