MaroonBoy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2003
Hobart 7000
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FFC(Roys), Manly, Feyenoord, Barca.
Perhaps this thread has been done before? If so I apologise...perhaps one of you old timers here could point the way to the thread? Anyway...

Which AFL / VFL club or clubs do you detest/ hate more than any other and the reasons why?

For me it was Carlton until the early 1990's. Hated Carlton for their arrogance and success. John Elliot, Malcolm Fraser, Robert Menzies, Bob Santamaria, with that lot following the club, it sort of said it all for me.

And then in 1993 along came Richmond. And who sat with Ross Oakley, Brennan, and Noel Gordon on the night of the Brisbane merger? Thanks Richmond FC for helping to send the FFC to the wall. Hope you always finish just outside the 8 for eternity...

Definitely Carlton for mine!
Who took our rent and wouldn't give us signage rights at their home ground whereupon a deal was brokered with another struggling suburban club whom gave us a fair go along with signage and catering rights to sell?
Carlton's last hurrah for the cash-strapped lions was a bill (!) fair dinkum... for having the tenacity to fill the park so they could get their coffers full with all of the tenancy and marketing rights for princes park!
Carlton can go to hell and the last couple of years along with Lions' 3-peat have been oh-so-poetic bloody justice.
Apart from that....Adelaide and their whingeing whining (before Eddie's Loser-Cruiser supporters turned it into an artform) cousin-marrying supporters.

Collingwood and Carlton are just about equal in my book.

Have very little to no sympathy for Carlton's recent woes. The way they treated us in the 80's and early 90's re: ground sharing was disgraceful....although I did prefer Princes Park to the Western Oval.

Collingwood....well just because they are Fitzroy's traditional rivals. Allan McAllister however took my loathing to new new depths.

I have a little bit of hate for everyone:
Adelaide- for their supporters & the death of the SANFL
Brisbane - for greedily grabbing Fitzroy's carcass & using the Fitzroy name only when it suits them (note: I do follow Brisbane, but without much of the passion I have for the Roys)
Carlton - screwed us when we were playing at Princes Park. Smarmy pricks, I love seeing them struggling. Karma.
Collingwood - too much to mention. I will settle with their supporters
Essendon - Their supporters believe Essendon are born to rule. As a whole, there's not that much to dislike about Essendon
Fremantle - For refusing to transfer the last game in 1996 to Melbourne
Geelong - Not much to hate Geelong about. Um, no, need help hating the Cats, someone will remind me of a reason to hate them
Hawthorn - I hate them because an ex-girlfriend followed them. I hate them because my current girlfriend & her whole family also follows them.
Melbourne - Their supporters are turds. Won't buy memberships because they don't like their board or they're MCC members. This club deserves to die. Soon.
North Melb - courted Fitzroy in 1996 to get their hands on a cool $6 million. I actually like North, but their motives in merging with Fitzroy were not entirely honourable.
Port Adelaide - For taking our spot
Richmond - Where do you start? This club is worse than Collingwood & Carlton combined. I hope when Armageddon comes, Richmond is the first to go.
Sydney - For taking Paul Roos
St Kilda - Because Fitzroy died before this underachieving team of whores
West Coast - Dunno, for taking Dean Turner :confused:
Western Bulldogs - Because they always beat us, I only saw us defeat the Dogs once (when Mick Conlan kicked 10 in 1984)
Fitzroy - for causing me so much pain!!!

I actually find myself hating AFL clubs less & less as every footy season goes on. I just find other football clubs to hate, like Peninsula Old Boys!

You can let it all out Mr Ramone, you're amongst friends here. BTW, what is it about girlfriends and Hawthorn with you? :D

quoting - Geelong - Not much to hate Geelong about. Um, no, need help hating the Cats, someone will remind me of a reason to hate them

1. Bruce Linder's mark over Graeme OSborne.
2. Paul Couch.
3. That almost comeback at Kardinia.
4. The bloke with the moustruck.
5. Every player except Paul Brown.

My attraction to Hawthron supporting women?
If I was German it would be very logical....the Mobbenfuhrer will know what I'm referring to

My old German flame? :D

Okay, to prove I know what you're talking about, please read this quote that I took from the footypedia messageboard (check out THIS for irony!) :

Fred Phillips the Hawthorn Captain-Coach for 1933 died aged 27 just before the season.

"a boil on his elbow had become septic after being exposed to dye from a new Hawthorn jersey"

Source : The Hard Way page 61.

No, not your ex-German flame. I was discreetly referring to certain "acts" that the Krauts like to indulge in that involve the colours brown and gold (ie a famous Aussie TV host had a coffee table installed for this kind of fun).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I take back my remarks on Melbourne. However, listening to Melbourne supporters complaining in the off season about everything that happens at their club, to quote Hughesy, "it makes me angry". Melbourne, along with Richmond perhaps, seems to have a large supporter base that doesn't translate memberships & don't back their club in hard times. What we would give to have a club in the AFL & supporters seem to take it for granted that their side will always be there.

I apologise for any offence caused, I'm glad to see someone had the passion to respond.

It's so true about the Melbourne supporters. I know plenty who just won't buy a membership ticket because they're MCC members. I didn't know one royboy who didn't buy a membership ticket whether they could afford it or not!

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I knew of plenty. THOSE are the ones that should be disparaged.

That's the thing see? Correct me if i'm wrong but the Roys had 5,000 or so members in 96 from memory. Just not enough! There were endless factors affecting this of course. The move from Brunswick St to the Junction for starters who knows how many people weren't interested in seeing FITZROY play in ST.KILDA, but even less were going to follow them in FOOTSCRAY! The move to Carlton could've worked if it were anybody but Carlton (Whole other story not going there!).

Oh & Ramone (Top band btw!) the MFC have plenty of supporters that you & I hate equally but for different reasons. We do have a hardcore of 10,000 or so who'll turn up to see us ANYWHERE! There's endless passion in that lot, most of em are more feral than I & i'm from Braybrook! ;) Dunno myself if we can keep the MFC afloat single handedly but if not we'll sure as hell die trying.

The whole silver spoon, off to the snow bulldroppings is a stereotype that the ignorant take comfort in. There's WAAAAAAY more to the MFC that that set, but you're gonna have to trust me on that mate.

Anyway, that's my 3 cents worth.

The thing with Melbourne fans is they know that if they merge, their team will still probably be named Melbourne. That's got to affect their thinking. Personally I have nothing against them. The only team I hate is Richmond.

Following on from that "I Hate Richmond" theme Mr Fat Pizza, your welcome to borrow these two for your next trivia questions:

FP Trivia Question No. XXXX:
Which Richmond thug did Garry Wilson knock flat at the 'G?

FP Trivia Question No.YYYY:
Which other Richmond thug did Jamie Cooper get his revenge on when he painted the Richmond Team of the Century painting?

Some very valid points, BT.

Most Fitzroy supporters would admit that everything would catch up with us at some time & the club would have trouble surviving. If you read reports from the 1960's, the club was in trouble back then. The thing that makes me angry is that the fact that the AFL is now going out of its way to support clubs that are in far more trouble than we were. We were never given any support or encouragement to survive. For example, if the AFL had come to Fitzroy at the end of 1995 and said "we want you to move to Canberra & we will support you for XXX number of years", most Fitzroy people would've backed it. Instead, the knobjockeys at the AFL Commission acted like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld "No Canberra for you". Years after the merger, the anger & bitterness remains disturbed in my most troubled of souls.

In saying that & retracting some pretty stupid comments made by myself previously in this thread, let's hope the little clubs survive & a giant club somehow gets sucked into a financial mess that spells oblivion. Won't happen, but one can only dream. If a company like Pan AM can go out of existence, why not Carlton or Richmond.

Originally posted by MaroonBoy

FP Trivia Question No. XXXX:
Which Richmond thug did Garry Wilson knock flat at the 'G?
Jimmy Jess & it was a fair bump!

FP Trivia Question No.YYYY:
Which other Richmond thug did Jamie Cooper get his revenge on when he painted the Richmond Team of the Century painting?
[/QUOTE] Dale Weightman

Originally posted by FitzroyRamone
Some very valid points, BT.

Most Fitzroy supporters would admit that everything would catch up with us at some time & the club would have trouble surviving. If you read reports from the 1960's, the club was in trouble back then. The thing that makes me angry is that the fact that the AFL is now going out of its way to support clubs that are in far more trouble than we were. We were never given any support or encouragement to survive. For example, if the AFL had come to Fitzroy at the end of 1995 and said "we want you to move to Canberra & we will support you for XXX number of years", most Fitzroy people would've backed it. Instead, the knobjockeys at the AFL Commission acted like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld "No Canberra for you". Years after the merger, the anger & bitterness remains disturbed in my most troubled of souls.

In saying that & retracting some pretty stupid comments made by myself previously in this thread, let's hope the little clubs survive & a giant club somehow gets sucked into a financial mess that spells oblivion. Won't happen, but one can only dream. If a company like Pan AM can go out of existence, why not Carlton or Richmond.

Mate don't worry about it, you aint the first & you won't be the last! Also the chances of Dees fans jumping down your throat were pretty slim ;) & that's why I worry :( .

AFL wanted Port bad, not much FFC could do the dye was cast long ago there. No doubt they were stiff(ed).

Roys were hamstrung in a lot of areas (Sponsorship, relocation etc) the club itself, tried it's guts out.

Fat Pizza you are hot! All anchovies and chillies and similar stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back