Your team post-fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2007
The Nation's Capital
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC, CFC, 76ers, Oilers, Roys FFC
heya royboys, glad to see we're still alive and kicking to keep all the great memories around.

i just want to pose a question to you all, what made you choose the team you support now, whether it be brisbane, or anyone else, or none at all.

personally i tried to follow brisbane for a couple of years, even went to their first grand final, but when that siren went and they'd won i didn't feel any elation or joy, just a real meh feeling, and i knew i couldn't support them, just didn't make me feel it. i'm now a doggie, partly due to my mothers influence, and i'm starting to really get behind the dogs, they making football interesting again for me.

go roys

Well I follow Brisbane, and although I like watching them Its has certainly not the same and has lost its passion from when I followed Fitzroy.

I have a soft spot for the Doggies and for North Melbourne and was going to follow them, but....I couldn't do it.

Anyways I still enjoy my football, but its just not the same since Oakley forced us to go under.

Cheers

JtP

The Brisbane Lions for me.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the team in the AFL that most resembles Fitzroy (even though they are located interstate). As I have posted previously, on many occasions, it's very difficult to look past the following...

The official name of the club is the "Brisbane Bears-FITZROY Australian Football Club Ltd.", trading as the Brisbane Lions.
* to reflect the above, the Lions' team wear the logo of 'BBFFC' on the back of their guernseys
* Brisbane wear an old Fitzroy jumper on selected occasions and will wear the 1975-1996 Fitzroy guernsey twice in 2007.
* Brisbane wears Fitzroy's colours, maroon, blue and gold
* Brisbane have the Fitzroy mascot - the 'Lion'
* Brisbane uses Fitzroy's theme song tune, with the lyrics containing the word "Fitzroy" in it as well as phrases/lines from the old Fitzroy theme song,
* Brisbane have the same Fitzroy coterie groups "Lion Hunters' etc.,
* Brisbane have the father-son rule from Fitzroy (e.g Jonathon Brown),
* Brisbane have the "Fitzroy-Brisbane Past Players and Officials Association" headed by former Fitzroy players. Kevin Murray is a member as are many other old Fitzroy players.
* Brisbane have the Fitzroy-Brisbane Historical Society to preserve the history of Fitzroy.
* former Fitzroy players and officials that are life members of Fitzroy from 1884-1996 are automatically life members of the Brisbane Lions
* the Brisbane Lions Best and Fairest Medal is named the Merrett-MURRAY Medal, after Kevin Murray, one of Fitzroy's greatest players. The choice of name for Fitzroy half was chosen by a ballot of Fitzroy members in 1997.
* Brisbane Lions official records are dated from 1997 (the first year after the merger) and include all Fitzroy records of all players that have played for the Brisbane Lions suich as Chris Johnson, Martin Pike, John Barker, Scott McIvor and Alistair Lynch.
* the club constitution guarantees a minimum of one Fitzroy representative on the Brisbane Lions board. There can be more than one.
* the Brisbane Lions have a large Victorian social club operation located in the middle of the old Fitzroy recruiting zone at Bulleen in Melbourne.
* Brisbane sponsors the Fitzroy Juniors who play at Fitzroy's spiritual home, the Brunswick St. Oval and have a close relationship with the Fitzroy Reds. (e.g the Reds played in the curtain-raiser for the 2003 Heritage Round Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood on the MCG)
* The majority of (though not all) former Fitzroy players now follow the Brisbane Lions.

heya royboys, glad to see we're still alive and kicking to keep all the great memories around.

i just want to pose a question to you all, what made you choose the team you support now, whether it be brisbane, or anyone else, or none at all.

personally i tried to follow brisbane for a couple of years, even went to their first grand final, but when that siren went and they'd won i didn't feel any elation or joy, just a real meh feeling, and i knew i couldn't support them, just didn't make me feel it. i'm now a doggie, partly due to my mothers influence, and i'm starting to really get behind the dogs, they making football interesting again for me.

go roys

North Melbourne and Melbourne Storm

Well I follow Brisbane, and although I like watching them Its has certainly not the same and has lost its passion from when I followed Fitzroy.

I have a soft spot for the Doggies and for North Melbourne and was going to follow them, but....I couldn't do it.

Anyways I still enjoy my football, but its just not the same since Oakley forced us to go under.

Cheers

JtP

Im pretty much the same as JtP, I support Brisbane, but not with the same passion as Fitzroy... I'de give back all three premierships to see my Roy Boys back in a heartbeat. I have a soft spot for the Doggies, and I go to a lot of essendon games with the other-half.
It is good to see the Lions wearing the '96 Roys jumper v Hawks this year, looking forward to it... will shed a few tears Im sure.

If you were to read my personal profile, you'd find out my feelings.

Having watched footy longer than most, I still have emblazoned on my mind the days at Brunswick St. My passion for watching my current team Brisbane play is equal to that I had for Fitzroy. I've always loved the game above all else. It's the best game ever devised.

The main difference to me is the lack of contact with the Fitzroy supporters with whom I grew up. I often think of them and the times we had together, especially staying up all night at the Junction Oval, while we were queueing for finals tickets. Such good people. Such pain endured. Bugger, I'm crying again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back