Past Zach Tuohy

Remove this Banner Ad

At the rate he has progressed, it's possible I guess.
The one thing we didn't really see of Zach in his few games at AFL level this year, is just how "unsociable" he can be.
He can be quite nasty on the field and has a body to inflict damage

You say that like it's a bad thing? ;)

Re: 2011 Player Review - BF wants you!

#42 Zach Tuohy
1134th player to represent the Carlton Football Club.

Season 2011 Statistics:

- Games:............11
- Goals:...............3
- Ave. Kicks:..... 6.7
- Ave. H-Balls:....5.8
- Ave. Marks:.... 2.8

We all know where Zach came from and now we have a pretty good idea as to where he’s going.
The whispers were already doing the rounds well before Zach’s first game, as for the young Irishman was making a mess of his opponents whilst playing with The Bullants.

It was just a matter of time before the Match Committee conceded to give him his first run in the Navy Blue Guernsey. That finally came about in round 11 against Port Adelaide at their home ground.
Zach was the sub for his first game and vision to the bench showed a nervous young lad who couldn’t wait to finally get a run on the ground.
That came late in the third quarter and as it panned out, Zachs first possession was one to remember, as he collected the ball on the half back line and decided to take the game on.
Unfortunately for Zach, he forgot his own strength as he pounded the ball into the ground for his first bounce that came back to him like the launch of an exocet missile, only to smack him straight into the mouth.
That incident somehow had a message in itself, signalling that things were going to happen when this kid had the ball in his hands and so that has played out accordingly.

Zach’s second game was against Brisbane at Etihad where he collected 20 possessions and played a terrific sweeping role from the backline.
The kicking was razor sharp, the tackles were jarring and the smarts in taking up the best option were there for all to see.
The highlight though occurred late in the last quarter when Zach took possession outside 50, took a couple of steps and kicked truly from a distance that most could not manage.
That was a moment for us all to savour, as the celebrations for his first goal were akin to the celebrations reserved for a veteran kicking his 100th.
Right at that point in time we all knew that we’ll be seeing a lot more of Zach Tuohy in the navy blue.
Zach played another 10 of the next 13 games, showing good signs in most of those matches, showcasing his precise kicking and strength throughout.

Zach must have been disappointed upon missing out on the first final after a solid match against the Saints the week before, as were most Carlton supporters.
Zach was though recalled for the second final against The Eagles in Perth.
All reports were that Joseph was be the sub and that Zach would be granted a full game, but that was not to be.
Zach was the given the worst job in senior football by being given the Green Jacket. Never an easy situation to take up, let alone for a green kid from Ireland in only his second year of AFL football.
Zach was finally given his run, late in the third quarter and was asked to make an impact upon a match that was slipping from our grasp.
Zach obliged early in the fourth when ran across the front of a pack, with arms extended skywards, took the ball in front of much taller opponents, hit the ground running, heading goal-wards.
He set sail from 50 meters out, spiralling the ball straight through the big sticks for a much needed goal.
That was the moment that the Carlton faithful realised that this game was not beyond us, yet.

We all know how that game finished and as a possible opportunity was lost, another one was found thanks to Mr. Tuohy.
The highlights package has only commenced and there’ll be plenty of jigging for years to come, as we watch Zach doing his thing.
To be sure, to be sure.

Does anyone know if Tuohy was picked for the Irish team for the International Rules games ??? I would be shocked if he was over-looked ..........

I've enjoyed watching Zach at training through this pre-season.
Just seems to acquiring new tricks on a regular basis.

General observations:

Pro:
Lighning quick reflexes - He's going to scare his opponents with his corralling work. Very quick at cornering others.
In close vision - Zach excels at knowing what is happening around him when close to the action.
Excellent speed - Much quicker than the frame would suggest and is one of the quickest at our club.
Strength - Seems to have got even stronger already. He won't be easy to drag down, or knock off his feet.
Kicking - Nothing needs to be said.
Marking - Is very solid in this department now. Can even mark the ball behind his back. Seriously!

Cons:
Discipline - Mentioned it here on several occasions already, but he he just seems to play to his own tune.
I don't think he sets to disobey the coaches instructions, but just takes on the game a little too often, throwing structures out of whack.
Decision making - Zach is still looking for options down-field, for a little longer than desired. Needs to be a little sharper here.

I've enjoyed watching Zach at training through this pre-season.
Just seems to acquiring new tricks on a regular basis.

General observations:

Pro:
Lighning quick reflexes - He's going to scare his opponents with his corralling work. Very quick at cornering others.
In close vision - Zach excels at knowing what is happening around him when close to the action.
Excellent speed - Much quicker than the frame would suggest and is one of the quickest at our club.
Strength - Seems to have got even stronger already. He won't be easy to drag down, or knock off his feet.
Kicking - Nothing needs to be said.
Marking - Is very solid in this department now. Can even mark the ball behind his back. Seriously!

Cons:
Discipline - Mentioned it here on several occasions already, but he he just seems to play to his own tune.
I don't think he sets to disobey the coaches instructions, but just takes on the game a little too often, throwing structures out of whack.
Decision making - Zach is still looking for options down-field, for a little longer than desired. Needs to be a little sharper here.

Zack is the player im most excited about next year. Think he will be hard to keep out of the best 22. He has all the skills, and when you think about where he has come from its really amazing. This kid has me excited

tumblr_lsbjy2Y2HS1qlxy47o1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lsbjy2Y2HS1qlxy47o2_r1_250.gif

He and Gibbsy had another good go at that today. Gibbsy lobbed it up, Tuohy back heeled it from behind his back straight back onto Gibbsy's head who juggled it a bit more. Complete fluke but don't tell anyone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuohy plans to make his mark
“I have internal goals in my head. Realistically, having played last year, I could expect to play every game but it’s not that easy at a club which is really going to challenge (for honours) this year.

“I always thought that if Setanta ever left the club that I’d want to wear his number. But now that I’ve played (senior football) in mine I want to keep it,” Tuohy says.

“Also, the only name on my locker is Robert Walls and when I retire, I want my name to be there under his.” Tuohy’s sentiments clearly show his intent to be a one-club player.

“I can’t imagine ever playing anywhere else or there being any circumstances that I’d want to leave in. I want to retire here.

“I feel really comfortable here. It doesn’t feel like I’m the only Irish player, it’s gone past that.

“I really feel like I’m a part of the team now.”
Tuohy plans to make his mark

:heart:

Walls on SEN talking Zach and how he called him on the eve of his first game.

Walls suggested for Zach to take things in his stride and not to be overwhelmed by the pressure to which Tuohy retorted,
"Pressure is for tyres. I'll be fine" :)

The funny thing about Zach is that our expectations of him are already that of what you'd expect of a hundred game player.
His field presence has given us that perception.
We've got an absolute beauty, in Tuohy.

Agreed. He may not get a whole heap of the ball in terms of numbers but he gets it enough and even then, that will probably improve at the same time as his reading of the play does.

When he gets it though, (shoddy first bounce aside :D) something good usually happens as he has the dare to take his opponents on and has genuine skill. But we knew this about him since day 1.

What I loved what his sheer hardness at the man and ball on Friday night :) And he was clean and clever about it, don't think he even gave away free kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back