Cryptozoology Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

Remove this Banner Ad

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it still out there? I think it'd be almost certain a few survived for a while after it was declared extinct, but the question is could the population have survived until now.

Anyone who's heard or experienced possible sightings/evidence or just interested in the topic get involved!

Tied up out the front of Bigfoot's house.

Serious note, I thought the last one died in captivity. Don't they have the cells and are thinking about playing god with this one

Is it still out there? I think it'd be almost certain a few survived for a while after it was declared extinct, but the question is could the population have survived until now.

Anyone who's heard or experienced possible sightings/evidence or just interested in the topic get involved!

Up until very recently I would have said yes. Tasmania is very rugged and remote, so it's easy to imagine there being a few survivors.

Knowing what I do now about basic field ecology, I'd say it's extremely unlikely (unfortunately). There can't be just one; there has to be a population of them. And if there are a population of Thylacines running around, they'd eventually leave bodies, or bones, behind. They don't. And as remote as sections of Tasmania are, if there were that many of them running around, someone would see them. Especially these days when everyone has a camera in their pocket.

What would happen if they were introduced to the environment? Was there much of a change in the fauna in the area when they died off?
Did the rabbit make tassie?
I know that feral cat numbers would drop off very quick if this animal was reintroduced, which would spark a hike in their numbers with food readily available.

The cat population dropping would mean a rise in the small fauna and a better balanced ecology, as they're finding out in parts of SA and NT with the reintroduction of the dingo pack.

Shot to extinction by the mid-1930s and yes, Benjamin was the last recorded thylacinus cynocephalus, dying of a broken heart in either Richmond Zoo, Tasmania or a zoo in Richmond, Tasmania, 1936, not certain which. We certainly don't deserve it to be extant after what we did to it in quite a short period. Settlers blaming it for sheep losses it had nothing to do with. A bounty pretty much secured its doom. What an incredible animal, what a ******* moronic way to go.

Re-posting what I wrote in the big cats thread:

Over the years there have been numerous sightings of Tasmanian tigers around where I live (north-eastern suburbs, lots of hills and trees). A friend of my parents, who's a pretty intelligent and straight guy, swears he saw one.

And to add to that, an article from the Sydney Morning Herald in 2003:

Melbourne researcher Michael Moss, who made the FoI requests to the Department of Sustainability and Environment and Parks Victoria, said the government was ignoring strong anecdotal evidence the Tasmanian tiger was alive and breeding in Victoria.
The last known Tasmanian tiger, or thylacine, died in captivity in Hobart in 1936. It is believed to have been extinct on the Australian mainland for 2,000 years.
But Mr Moss said several recent sightings were made by credible witnesses, who gave detailed descriptions of the striped marsupial.
Parks Victoria officer Glen Jameson, who compiled reports of thylacine sightings in the Warrandyte area between 1991 and 1999, said they could be an example of "mass sociogenic illness".
But he believed they were noteworthy because the people spoke with conviction, sincerity and did not come forward "in an atmosphere of media hype regarding Tasmanian tiger fever".
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/18/1061059765660.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scalp of a black male got 20, women and children 10 quid in parts of Victoria. Dingo scalps in SA got 30-50.

I'm hazarding a guess with the the sly nature of this animal, it would of attracted a fair price.I dare say hitting the newspaper archives of the day would uncover the price,if anyones keen on some research?

That movie a few years back with Willem Dafoe was pretty sweet(the Hunter), and made me think that maybe, just maybe a couple of Tigers could've survived.

I think we can only hope.

Had this book as a kid :thumbsu:
great-tasmanian-tiger-hunt.jpg

Wasn't one supposedly spotted around the early 70's?

I'd like to think a small group of them are still out there.

Scalp of a black male got 20, women and children 10 quid in parts of Victoria. Dingo scalps in SA got 30-50.

I'm hazarding a guess with the the sly nature of this animal, it would of attracted a fair price.I dare say hitting the newspaper archives of the day would uncover the price,if anyones keen on some research?

Hang on. Are you saying they lived on the mainland too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back