Streaming Westworld

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

*shrugs* just answering for the people that didn't hear what was whispered

oh right - were people thinking that maybe she was lying about what her father said? That could have been a possibility I guess.

Can you imagine the mayhem people would have in that world? Judging by how I play GTAV and red dead redemption lol....

Haha yep, would be chaos. They touched on it with a throw-away line about the storylines they have created being thrown out of whack coz the guests are always stopping to shoot or **** something.

As I was watching I started thinking about problems with guests shooting each other lol

oh right - were people thinking that maybe she was lying about what her father said? That could have been a possibility I guess.

Haha yep, would be chaos. They touched on it with a throw-away line about the storylines they have created being thrown out of whack coz the guests are always stopping to shoot or **** something.

As I was watching I started thinking about problems with guests shooting each other lol

The guy who writes the storylines got shitty because the guest shot the bandit bloke and he didn't get the big monologue he wrote. It would be complete mayhem. You would get people all the time who get off the train and just murder everyone in the town in the first 5 minutes.

There must be more than 1 'world' though because it seems like it's the same thing every day, if you are paying big bucks like they implied then it would get a bit boring after a few days.

Last edited:
That's a great point actually what's to stop the guests from shooting one another , let alone know if they are outsiders or not

That's a great point actually what's to stop the guests from shooting one another , let alone know if they are outsiders or not

My only thought is they can't be real guns as we know guns. Sure they shoot but maybe the 'robots' are programmed to sense something from the gun and create and artificial hole as if they have been shot and react accordingly.

Because like you said there is no other way to distinguish between hosts and the guests.

Setting up the 'hosts can't shoot real people' so solidly then subverting it seems a bit of a cheat I reckon. Also, I thought that Dolores squashing the bug combined with (potentially) lying about the whispering was really setting up her character as being very much aware of who she was and the situation she was in.

I hope Ed Harris isn't really a robot, it's just a boring cliche in these types of movies/tv shows.

There must be more than 1 'world' though because it seems like it's the same thing every day, if you are paying big bucks like they implied then it would get a bit boring after a few days.

At the moment I'm assuming theres only 1 world that gets reset every day, and guests can only stay for one day - you rock up on the train in the morning then once night falls they have some mechanism to come scoop you up. Maybe they advise return visitors not to come back until next month when they change the storylines or something.

My only thought is they can't be real guns as we know guns. Sure they shoot but maybe the 'robots' are programmed to sense something from the gun and create and artificial hole as if they have been shot and react accordingly.

Because like you said there is no other way to distinguish between hosts and the guests.

Yep something like that. If they can make robots that convincing I'm sure light/sensor guns dressed up to look and sound like real ones would be childs play. Wouldn't mind knowing what year this is set in.

Probably just the massive nerd in me but its all this kinda stuff that I want to know more about. Guess it doesn't make for particularly good tv though lol

At the moment I'm assuming theres only 1 world that gets reset every day, and guests can only stay for one day - you rock up on the train in the morning then once night falls they have some mechanism to come scoop you up. Maybe they advise return visitors not to come back until next month when they change the storylines or something.

Yep something like that. If they can make robots that convincing I'm sure light/sensor guns dressed up to look and sound like real ones would be childs play. Wouldn't mind knowing what year this is set in.

Probably just the massive nerd in me but its all this kinda stuff that I want to know more about. Guess it doesn't make for particularly good tv though lol

I had a quick read into the original movie,
it seems their guns could distinguish between warm blooded things (ie guests) and the cold blooded robots and would only let you shoot cold blooded things

They also mention that they sped up the bandit storyline to make him come into town a week early so the storylines must play out over some period of time which doesn't make sense against what we see with Delores and her guy living the same day over and over again.

Setting up the 'hosts can't shoot real people' so solidly then subverting it seems a bit of a cheat I reckon.

Well a cheat on Ed Harris' part I guess rather than the writers on the audience - the rules of the world haven't changed, robots can't harm humans. Its just that Ed's character has tricked the system into thinking he's a human.

There's also the obvious parallels from the original 70s movie, bit of a spoiler I guess but

I assumed Ed Harris is playing Yul Brynner's role, the main robotic villain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a quick read into the original movie,
it seems their guns could distinguish between warm blooded things (ie guests) and the cold blooded robots and would only let you shoot cold blooded things

They also mention that they sped up the bandit storyline to make him come into town a week early so the storylines must play out over some period of time which doesn't make sense against what we see with Delores and her guy living the same day over and over again.

Oh yeah you're right, I do remember them saying that. Well yeah, I'm confused, seems like Delores was doing the same thing everyday - unless we were just repeatedly shown the first day of her 30 day cycle or whatever it is.

Oh yeah you're right, I do remember them saying that. Well yeah, I'm confused, seems like Delores was doing the same thing everyday - unless we were just repeatedly shown the first day of her 30 day cycle or whatever it is.

That would make sense

Setting up the 'hosts can't shoot real people' so solidly then subverting it seems a bit of a cheat I reckon. Also, I thought that Dolores squashing the bug combined with (potentially) lying about the whispering was really setting up her character as being very much aware of who she was and the situation she was in.

Squashing the bug is significant because she's shown that she can break 2 rules that hosts should obey. Not hurting a living creature. And lying when asked about that.

I'm enjoying the Shakespeare lines by Dolores' Dad. It brings the dialog up a notch. And it illustrates that the hosts not only have access to their old memories but comprehend how the messages in the quotes are relevant to their current situation.

I think that hosts that are set up to fulfil a bigger narrative picture like the bandits would probably be a rare breed as they are set up to cause chaos and create a spectacle. The way the town is set up with the hosts just going about their business makes me think they each have their own story and generally relive it over and over but guests only become involved in these stories if they choose to engage with them.

IMO Dolores just has a pretty simple damsel in distress story line that resets everyday. She drops the can to present an opportunity for a guest to help her out and if they do she's programmed to befriend/fall in love with them and take the guest home so that they can save her. Just like how the sheriff recruiting volunteers everyday is just offering guests the opportunity to play out a simple cops and robbers story if they're interested.

I think that hosts that are set up to fulfil a bigger narrative picture like the bandits would probably be a rare breed as they are set up to cause chaos and create a spectacle. The way the town is set up with the hosts just going about their business makes me think they each have their own story and generally relive it over and over but guests only become involved in these stories if they choose to engage with them.

IMO Dolores just has a pretty simple damsel in distress story line that resets everyday. She drops the can to present an opportunity for a guest to help her out and if they do she's programmed to befriend/fall in love with them and take the guest home so that they can save her. Just like how the sheriff recruiting volunteers everyday is just offering guests the opportunity to play out a simple cops and robbers story if they're interested.

Other storylines are probably longer, have fewer newcomers, and are much more expensive.

Tech said she's the oldest one still active in the park, so may have played many roles like her old man.

Separately, how did the Man in Black know to flip the blokes lid to find a pattern/map under his skull?

Tech said she's the oldest one still active in the park, so may have played many roles like her old man.

Separately, how did the Man in Black know to flip the blokes lid to find a pattern/map under his skull?

White Americans used to cut off Native Americans' scalps (to claim bounties I think).

White Americans used to cut off Native Americans' scalps (to claim bounties I think).

He did claim he has been coming there for years, it's possible he has been learning new things every time. The real question is why bother having a maze under a hosts scalp

really impressive set up..... always liked the original film, worth watching for those who have not seen it purely for
seeing a menacing Yul Brynner as the gun slinger robot stalking the guests.
I like how the makers have switched that up with Ed Harris as the gunslinger being a sadistic human ( I think )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back