Cryptocurrency mega-thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean by it’s at its capacity?
its about 4 or 5 apps you can put on a ledger nano s. You can delete them and install new ones and supposedly the apps you delete you can reinstall and your alt coins will be safe but i dont have the nerve to do it.

If you read back a few pages you’ll see that I discuss volatility. While people are using BTC as an investment tool rather than a currency, volatility is a frustrating issue. When bitcoin or some other cryptocurrency is used for its main purpose - as a currency - volatility won’t be such a problem. The share market is ridiculously changeabl at the moment, but people still use it. Traditional currencies can be volatile too - look at what happened to the mark in Weimar Republic Germany ; Zimbabwe recently suffered from hyperinflation. Bitcoins need to be adopted as currency not investment. They aren’t tethered to anything such as government bonds or a gold standard; they’re just a secure, private and easy way of moving vast sums of money across continents. That’s why governments hate them.

It's a catch 22 for any crypto. The only reason 99% of people are into them is that the values keep going up. There are BTC millionaires who barely invested pocket money. That's ridiculous. And the only way they'll ever become widely accepted is if the volatility decreases in which case those 99% will lose interest. Fanbois love the 'alternative to inflationary fiat' s**t, but no one is buying BTC for $8k hoping that they'll stay at $8k and hardly anyone is buying BTC just to trade BTC for goods and services.

Shares aren't currencies, so the share market is irrelevant. It's volatile, but also has fundamentals behind it. BHP shares are worth about as much today as they were in 2007 having gone up and down in the time since. But each share has paid a dividend in that time. If you've held a BHP share since 2007 it would've paid you somewhere in the range of $5-10. The only way the share market is a useful comparison for cryptos is the dotcom bubble where a heap of companies were created out of nothing, produced nothing and rapidly increased in value. Chickens eventually come home to roost. There are something like 1,300 cryptos out there now. We don't actually need any, let alone 1,300.

The Weimar Republic hasn't been a thing for 85 years and Zimbabwe is ****ed. Given the choice between living in Zimbabwe with a stable cryptocurrency and living in Australia with a central currency who would pick the former? You could have 500 BTC safely secured on a flash drive under your mattress but that won't stop the govt from coming into your house and shooting you.

It's a catch 22 for any crypto. The only reason 99% of people are into them is that the values keep going up. There are BTC millionaires who barely invested pocket money. That's ridiculous. And the only way they'll ever become widely accepted is if the volatility decreases in which case those 99% will lose interest. Fanbois love the 'alternative to inflationary fiat' s**t, but no one is buying BTC for $8k hoping that they'll stay at $8k and hardly anyone is buying BTC just to trade BTC for goods and services.

Shares aren't currencies, so the share market is irrelevant. It's volatile, but also has fundamentals behind it. BHP shares are worth about as much today as they were in 2007 having gone up and down in the time since. But each share has paid a dividend in that time. If you've held a BHP share since 2007 it would've paid you somewhere in the range of $5-10. The only way the share market is a useful comparison for cryptos is the dotcom bubble where a heap of companies were created out of nothing, produced nothing and rapidly increased in value. Chickens eventually come home to roost. There are something like 1,300 cryptos out there now. We don't actually need any, let alone 1,300.

The Weimar Republic hasn't been a thing for 85 years and Zimbabwe is ******. Given the choice between living in Zimbabwe with a stable cryptocurrency and living in Australia with a central currency who would pick the former? You could have 500 BTC safely secured on a flash drive under your mattress but that won't stop the govt from coming into your house and shooting you.
So.......you're bearish ??

The Weimar Republic hasn't been a thing for 85 years and Zimbabwe is ******. Given the choice between living in Zimbabwe with a stable cryptocurrency and living in Australia with a central currency who would pick the former? You could have 500 BTC safely secured on a flash drive under your mattress but that won't stop the govt from coming into your house and shooting you.
seems like quite an ignorant view you have there. You dont need to have clean drinking water coming out of a tap to live, but it sure as hell beats installing a rainwater tank.

Crypto from the viewpoint of being MUCH faster with MUCH LESS fees in itself is a reason to hope cryptocurrency succeeds. Obviously crypto right now is volatile but when the overall marketcap increases to the trillions it will be a lot less volatile as the whales will have a smaller piece of the pie. If the volatility increases i will still use crypto for the two main reasons above.

Everyone in this thread and in this space is in crypto right now for making profits. No question. But to assume thats the only thing crypto has going for it shows me youve not done much research on this at all, or you have you feel threatened by it.

Can i ask what your purpose of being in this thread is? Something obviously caught your interest. You are either investing, or your livelihood involves banking.

i have about 30% of my investment on a nano ledger S, but its at capacity so until my new one arrives i have the rest of my portfolio spread across 6 exchanges.

Get a desktop wallet. I use Exodus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seems like quite an ignorant view you have there. You dont need to have clean drinking water coming out of a tap to live, but it sure as hell beats installing a rainwater tank.

Crypto from the viewpoint of being MUCH faster with MUCH LESS fees in itself is a reason to hope cryptocurrency succeeds. Obviously crypto right now is volatile but when the overall marketcap increases to the trillions it will be a lot less volatile as the whales will have a smaller piece of the pie. If the volatility increases i will still use crypto for the two main reasons above.

Everyone in this thread and in this space is in crypto right now for making profits. No question. But to assume thats the only thing crypto has going for it shows me youve not done much research on this at all, or you have you feel threatened by it.

Can i ask what your purpose of being in this thread is? Something obviously caught your interest. You are either investing, or your livelihood involves banking.

LOL. Great analogy. Given we already have centralised water systems in the developed world the crypto alternative would be a super secret virtual dam the govt can't add fluoride to where you get virtual water that you can convert into actual water some time later by paying a fee...

A faster, cheaper way of transferring funds is not the same as inventing a new currency, or in this case, 1,000+ currencies. You can have one without the other, or you can attempt to combine the two.

The fact remains, there is no need for a decentralised digital currency or currencies. It's a path worth following, but if the entire crypto market disappeared overnight the world economy would survive and the blip would be minor. The tech is interesting, but the whole crypto market operates inside the framework of the economy that is built around centralised currencies anyway. Cryptos don't have fast transaction speeds or low transaction fees at this point in time, but then I'm sure you've 'done much research' and know this...

The crypto market right now is a giant speculative bubble. Chief gets it, many in this thread don't. There is an enormous disconnect between the functionality and usability of each coin and their respective values. Will some survive? Probably. Is the technology here to stay? Almost certainly. There are daily reports that crypto v1095 is faster and better than v1094 that launched the day before. The value is tied up in what people want them to be, not what they are. Which is fine, but cryptos don't create value and tech is forever being superseded. I've probably got a 14.4 modem in a drawer somewhere which was pretty good tech in the 90s and it's not valuable or useful today. But if I go to JB Hifi I can still buy a D-Link router at the specs of 2018. A tech company is not the same as a technology, particularly a non proprietary one.

It's a discussion. If you can't handle anything other than 'cryptos are tha future, boo hiss fiat, blockchain, HODL!' then maybe find yourself a crypto masturbation forum rather than the Money board of BigFooty. Alternative viewpoints are allowed. It's not trolling or "FUD" to question the fundamentals of a market rather than just buying into lame buzzwords. How many weeks have you been into crypto anyway? 5? 6?

And FWIW I'm interested in acceptance, partnerships etc. Not interested in the tin foil hat nonsense. A currency is a medium of exchange. The reason the worthless fiat USD is worth gazillions is because it is the official currency of the US economy. Not the tech, not the paper the notes are printed with, the fact that hundreds of millions of people and their govt use it as their medium of exchange. Most people don't care how Visa or MasterCard work, but they know that they can go into a shop here or overseas and pay for something with their credit card. I haven't been into a single shop that accepts BTC or ETH payment. That's what I'm interested in.

Not all cryptos are currencies, I think you need to do a bit more research.

Most of what you just wro
LOL. Great analogy. Given we already have centralised water systems in the developed world the crypto alternative would be a super secret virtual dam the govt can't add fluoride to where you get virtual water that you can convert into actual water some time later by paying a fee...

A faster, cheaper way of transferring funds is not the same as inventing a new currency, or in this case, 1,000+ currencies. You can have one without the other, or you can attempt to combine the two.

The fact remains, there is no need for a decentralised digital currency or currencies. It's a path worth following, but if the entire crypto market disappeared overnight the world economy would survive and the blip would be minor. The tech is interesting, but the whole crypto market operates inside the framework of the economy that is built around centralised currencies anyway. Cryptos don't have fast transaction speeds or low transaction fees at this point in time, but then I'm sure you've 'done much research' and know this...

The crypto market right now is a giant speculative bubble. Chief gets it, many in this thread don't. There is an enormous disconnect between the functionality and usability of each coin and their respective values. Will some survive? Probably. Is the technology here to stay? Almost certainly. There are daily reports that crypto v1095 is faster and better than v1094 that launched the day before. The value is tied up in what people want them to be, not what they are. Which is fine, but cryptos don't create value and tech is forever being superseded. I've probably got a 14.4 modem in a drawer somewhere which was pretty good tech in the 90s and it's not valuable or useful today. But if I go to JB Hifi I can still buy a D-Link router at the specs of 2018. A tech company is not the same as a technology, particularly a non proprietary one.

It's a discussion. If you can't handle anything other than 'cryptos are tha future, boo hiss fiat, blockchain, HODL!' then maybe find yourself a crypto masturbation forum rather than the Money board of BigFooty. Alternative viewpoints are allowed. It's not trolling or "FUD" to question the fundamentals of a market rather than just buying into lame buzzwords. How many weeks have you been into crypto anyway? 5? 6?

And FWIW I'm interested in acceptance, partnerships etc. Not interested in the tin foil hat nonsense. A currency is a medium of exchange. The reason the worthless fiat USD is worth gazillions is because it is the official currency of the US economy. Not the tech, not the paper the notes are printed with, the fact that hundreds of millions of people and their govt use it as their medium of exchange. Most people don't care how Visa or MasterCard work, but they know that they can go into a shop here or overseas and pay for something with their credit card. I haven't been into a single shop that accepts BTC or ETH payment. That's what I'm interested in.
utensil

If you want mass adoption and something that will 'probably' be here after version 1.9045 crypto that has signed contracts with governments and made some other speculative parterships, Check out Waltonchain.

Trolling on BigFooty is not FUD. There was the initial post about Binance being down. There was a reply from one guy that stated he hopes Binance will be ok as he has his ETH on there. Duritz then indirectly trolls him by stating that there was confirmation that Binance had been hacked and that ETH was the target. If you can't see through that, then I don't know what to say. I got a giggle from it. It should be a good lesson to all not to leave coins on exchanges !!
Not the way I look at it!

Sound familiar ??

four-phases-of-change.jpgw500h294.jpg

change-resistant-cartoon.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you’ve made an excellent post but you’ve missed one massive point, which YF has highlighted below. They’re not all just mediums of exchange. See below.

Not all cryptos are currencies, I think you need to do a bit more research.

Yeah you don’t get it. You’ve trotted out a few buzzwords as if you’ve done some research but basically your understanding is barely above that of the general public.

Fine have an alternative opinion. And continue your interest in acceptance and partnerships lol.

Oh and as for “Chief gets it” - as if that adds any more credibility to your opinion. Did you think that’s your “I win” point? Chiefs always right on any topic in the world is he?? Besides, he has invested in crypto.

The last sentence of your 3rd paragraph is so far off the mark that you’re just embarrassing yourself.

Typical know it all post from someone that works in the finance or banking sector. Ask yourself what is at the core of distributed ledger technology. The answer lies within.

Yeah you don’t get it. You’ve trotted out a few buzzwords as if you’ve done some research but basically your understanding is barely above that of the general public.

Fine have an alternative opinion. And continue your interest in acceptance and partnerships lol.

Oh and as for “Chief gets it” - as if that adds any more credibility to your opinion. Did you think that’s your “I win” point? Chiefs always right on any topic in the world is he?? Besides, he has invested in crypto.

The last sentence of your 3rd paragraph is so far off the mark that you’re just embarrassing yourself.

LOL.

It genuinely baffles me how many people hooked on cryptos don't even have a basic understanding of economics let alone cryptos. What's the transaction speed of BTC again, it's super fast isn't it?

I tagged Chief because he's one of the few posters with a balanced viewpoint. The world isn't binary. You can invest and be skeptical or conservative. Hell you can invest and think the whole thing is bullshit and all cryptos will be worthless next week. Cryptos aren't the first bubble and won't be the last.

Re-read your bolded sentence and let it sink in. Describes 99.9% of self proclaimed crypto experts.

Address the main point I was making, instead of deflecting.

Bl.. bloc.. nah, help me out. I'm only someone who works in banking and finance after all. :rolleyes:

Oh that wasn’t an investment. It was a very bad bet made to troll a friend who was at me about crypto. I sold them as they dropped.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back