Raymond Feist

Remove this Banner Ad

PRANKSTER666

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2007
P-Town
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that George RR Martin is all the rage with Game of Thrones being adapted to the small screen I thought those who liked that would like Feist. I have read almost every book of his, starting with Magician. He writes a little more economically with less flowery prose to that of Martin which is to my taste, esp in this genre.

Anyway, all the books are great but the Empire Trilogy is brilliant. You don't need to read anything else to jump into these three books, but Magician would be a good pre-req.

Anyone else read Mara of the Acoma?

As a stand alone book (rather than rating it as part of the trilogy), Magician is probably still my favourite book. I've always felt it'd lend itself to a big screen movie, rather than a TV series. It stands alone enough to do that.

I didn't mind Empires, but the original trilogy is still my favourite of his works. Still reading the new ones a quarter of century after starting with Magician (I was around Pug's age when I first read it, certainly no where near that age now :eek: ). He's flogging that horse into bloody stripes, but they are an easy read. It's not epic fantasy by any stretch like ASOIF or Wheel of Time, but sometimes picking up something that doesn't require any thinking is good :D

As a stand alone book (rather than rating it as part of the trilogy), Magician is probably still my favourite book. I've always felt it'd lend itself to a big screen movie, rather than a TV series. It stands alone enough to do that.

I didn't mind Empires, but the original trilogy is still my favourite of his works. Still reading the new ones a quarter of century after starting with Magician (I was around Pug's age when I first read it, certainly no where near that age now :eek: ). He's flogging that horse into bloody stripes, but they are an easy read. It's not epic fantasy by any stretch like ASOIF or Wheel of Time, but sometimes picking up something that doesn't require any thinking is good :D

I have always thought the Empire trilogy would make a great movie. I am fascinated by 'the game'. I have been writing screenplays for some time now and if I ever get cred one day I would love to adapt these books. It would be a great vehicle for a female lead, Mara is a very strong character.

The Tsurani race and their traditions reminded me very much of Medieval Japan, so I have always felt the adaption can stay true to the works or perhaps even a loosely based story revolving around the game and the houses in a historical or even modern day adaption.

I lost patience with Wheel of Time, too airy fairy for me.

I gave up on Feist around Krondor Betrayed although I enjoyed his work up until then.

Magician is a great book on an individual level but the Empire series is my favorite trilogy that he did.

Faery Tale was interesting as well

Now that George RR Martin is all the rage with Game of Thrones being adapted to the small screen I thought those who liked that would like Feist. I have read almost every book of his, starting with Magician. He writes a little more economically with less flowery prose to that of Martin which is to my taste, esp in this genre.

Anyway, all the books are great but the Empire Trilogy is brilliant. You don't need to read anything else to jump into these three books, but Magician would be a good pre-req.

Read them twice. Excellent series.

Read all the original Series when they were released. Got as far as Rage of a Demon King but lost interest. The books seemed to more about fluff than guts.

Still the Riftwar Saga and the Empire Trilogy I'd recommend to anybody.

Agree with these posts - Feist is brilliant
I had the pleasure of meeting him at a book signing and he was more than a little arrogant and annoyed at fans showing up to get their books signed (which was kind of the point of the exercise).

I LOVED the first trilogy and agree that the empire series was a great stand alone piece of work.. Like someone else said the Krondor series was where I stopped and I let the last 8 or so books accumulate and then I covered them off... some good ones and some bad - what ends up happening to the Tsurani world was phenomenal... it is just epic how the time scale works with the great grand children of Jimmy, Artutha etc carrying on the story..

I do have a soft spot for Feist but he definitely flogs the horse

George R R Martin is a long way in front. The bugger better not die before finishing!

Magician was nowhere near his best I think he really grew as a writer over time. Plus Nakor is not in his first books. :)

Re-reading The Serpentwar Saga again.

Igloo
I really, really need to get on top of my reading. I have so many of his books on my bookshelf waiting to be read.
I love everything of his I have read though, so I assume I'll love the rest.

I really, really need to get on top of my reading. I have so many of his books on my bookshelf waiting to be read.
I love everything of his I have read though, so I assume I'll love the rest.

My kindle is great for tracking these down.

Don't know what I will move onto next though.

Kindle shmindle :p.

It's just so bloody convenient.

I have heaps of hard cover copies, most of the Eternal Champion series which are rather big in size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone read Magician's End? has gotten reasonable reviews, but don't want to drop $20 on this if its similar to his previous efforts.

Reading it currently.

Anyone read Magician's End? has gotten reasonable reviews, but don't want to drop $20 on this if its similar to his previous efforts.

Just finished it. Bottom line is: it's very similar to previous efforts. Pretty much everything he's written since "Talon of the Silver Hawk" is the same and "Magician's End" is no different.

Wait for the paperback.

Just finished it. Bottom line is: it's very similar to previous efforts. Pretty much everything he's written since "Talon of the Silver Hawk" is the same and "Magician's End" is no different.

Wait for the paperback.

will do.

imho he hasn't written a good book since Rage of a Demon King. (honored enemy wasn't written by him)

Read everything to do with Midkemia (must be about 20 books by now), currently on the second or third latest one. They are nowhere near what they were with the Riftwar or Empire Trilogies, but I still enjoy them for the characters and world of the earlier novels. He has finished the last one from what I've heard, so I think I'm only a novel or two off of that. I just want to get through them all so I know how he possibly wraps up about 25 years of real life (and a couple of centuries in Midkemia) worth of stories.

will do.

imho he hasn't written a good book since Rage of a Demon King. (honored enemy wasn't written by him)

I really enjoyed Honoured Enemy. Thought Talon of the Silver Hawk was decent as well, but they are all reasonably predictable at this point. I just want to wrap it up because I've spent so much time reading them all.

Only just found this.
Magician probably my favorite book of all time, first read it many years ago and multiple times since, read the whole series.
Thought he started to lose the plot though after the first three books with who the big bad was and kind of dug himself a hole with it. still enjoyed them all over the years though.

Only just found this.
Magician probably my favorite book of all time, first read it many years ago and multiple times since, read the whole series.
Thought he started to lose the plot though after the first three books with who the big bad was and kind of dug himself a hole with it. still enjoyed them all over the years though.

He began to lose the plot after "rise of a merchant prince" which is probably his second best book. If you've read the lies of locke lamora it is heavily inspired by merchant prince.

I owe a lot to Raymond Feist. Reading Magician in primary school and then the rest of his stuff throughout high school pretty much inspired my love of fantasy novels. I haven't finished the whole series though, I got up to date when I read At The Gates of Darkness and didn't read the new books when they came out. I want to do a re-read and finish it though at some point.

The Empire Trilogy is still one of my favourite series, and Feist's best imo.

Oh man my copy of Magician pretty much fell apart from use
I've read them all it took a long time to get around to doing it in chronological order but it was a fun experience.

I had the original trilogy and Faerie Tale as paper backs, everything after that was library or kindle though I feel I went back and bought a few including hard covers but all my books are in storage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back