AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Hello all. You've heard of spotify, now try

Bearify.png

This will be your one stop shop for new music recommendations, film reviews and a heads up on cool events happening in your area. I will be posting regularly with new goodies for you all to sample.

On top of all that I will be running regular creativity based competitions, hosting song dedications, displaying the finest works of art the SFA has to offer and providing a game day playlist for important matches.

Have you been listening to the same stuff for the last 10 years? Give me 3 to 50 bands that you love and I will find you a plethora of other bands that you hopefully haven't heard of, but will come to enjoy. Same goes with movies. Just ask for a recommendation.

There doesn't appear to be much of an appetite for this sort of thing within the SFA, but if I can introduce just one person to a new artist or movie they come to love then I will have done my job.

I believe one of the best gifts you can give people is a piece of art that touches them in a way they weren't expecting. Something that they can carry with them forever in their minds. This is also a good way to give these artists an extra little bit exposure to an audience they might otherwise miss.

First up I'll be looking at the albums I have been listening to this week

AOTW
listening.png

Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Yazz Ahmed - Polyhymnia
Eprom - Halflife
Aesop Rock - Skelethon
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Snakefeast - Pythoness
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Turnstile - Time & Space

Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses

There is lots more to come.

Do yourself a favour and stick around, even if you don't normally care about finding new music, pop your head in every now and then. No need to engage with the thread, but listen to a couple new songs. You might be surprised what you find.

I challenge everyone to keep an open mind and give things a go. No-one starts off liking all music, they grow to it.

Last edited:

Some fine choices!

Haven't listened to Eprom before so tucking in.
A little different to most other electronic musicians. Relies more on grooves than bangers. A bit minimalist but very fun.

Ask a mod. Except NaturalDisaster as he'll probably get himself locked in the landfill thread again
I'll leave it up to them.

I assume the clubroom is for non SFA talk? This is going to have a fair bit related to SFA stuff. So might not be the worst place for it.

Ask a mod. Except NaturalDisaster as he'll probably get himself locked in the landfill thread again

643d30f7-7b63-4aca-9bf5-708284f5f971_text_hi.gif

I'll try not to take this thread too off track.

I've been listening to a whole swathe of post-rock recently which usually involves instrumental with maybe a bit of singing. One that i've been hitting recently combines a bit of shoegaze, post-rock, post-metal across multiple albums. For their more Shoe gaze X post-rock sound, i'd recommend their album Shelter.

Aaah...The Simpsons. The cause of and solution to, everything funny

The TV show family that has a gif for any and all forum occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll try not to take this thread too off track.

I've been listening to a whole swathe of post-rock recently which usually involves instrumental with maybe a bit of singing. One that i've been hitting recently combines a bit of shoegaze, post-rock, post-metal across multiple albums. For their more Shoe gaze X post-rock sound, i'd recommend their album Shelter.
This Alcest?

Ah crud, i forgot to put their name in my post but yeah, Alcest. You're a fan or heard of them at least?
Yeah I like them for sure. Very good band, but they fall by the wayside sometimes for me in terms of things I want to listen to first, but that's no to take anything any from them musically. Very very good.

Haven't listened to shelter other than the once, but I'll go back over it now.

If you're on a post rock/metal/shoegaze kick might I suggest a band called Mogwai. A bit more British leaning, but put out some beautiful stuff. Songs like Fear Satan and Like Herod are great tracks.

Other bands that you have probably already heard of that I could suggest at would be ISIS, Pelican, Cult of Luna, Lantlôs, Amesoeurs, Drudkh.

Yeah I like them for sure. Very good band, but they fall by the wayside sometimes for me in terms of things I want to listen to first, but that's no to take anything any from them musically. Very very good.

Haven't listened to shelter other than the once, but I'll go back over it now.

If you're on a post rock/metal/shoegaze kick might I suggest a band called Mogwai. A bit more British leaning, but put out some beautiful stuff. Songs like Fear Satan and Like Herod are great tracks.

Other bands that you have probably already heard of that I could suggest at would be ISIS, Pelican, Cult of Luna, Lantlôs, Amesoeurs, Drudkh.

Strangely enough, I haven't heard of any of those suggested bands besides Mogwai in passing somewhere. I'll hit them up as I'm always on the lookout for new bands.

I've been on the Post-Rock/Metal, Shoegaze, Atmospheric wagon for quite awhile and my list has grown exponentially. Anything where I can put the album on and listen to it from beginning to end and feel satisfied by the time it has finished is what I'm after. A couple of my others I enjoy include: If These Trees Could Talk, We Came from the North, God is an Astronaut and Exxasens.

I found most of them through following suggestions and reviews from Sputnikmusic.

A couple of my others I enjoy include: If These Trees Could Talk, We Came from the North, God is an Astronaut and Exxasens.
Ahhhh I see, some other bands you might enjoy are Sleepmakeswaves, Caspian, This Will Destroy You, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, And So I Watch You From Afar, Appalaches, Ocean Districts.

Plenty more, but I don't want to pile too many on.

Ahhhh I see, some other bands you might enjoy are Sleepmakeswaves, Caspian, This Will Destroy You, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, And So I Watch You From Afar, Appalaches, Ocean Districts.

I like TWDY's New Other's albums but S/T never really did it for me. I also have Explosions, Caspian, sleepmakeswaves, And So I watch you From Afar on my rather eclectic looking Spotify list.

All good suggestions. I'm going to be alright with music for awhile me thinks.

I'm a fan of such bands as: My Eardrums Bleed For You, Someone Just Broke Wind, Farkin Dis Custard and Ectasy Of A Blown Nerd

Bombshell 7.5/10 - John Lithgow and Charlize Theron were great. The seven-part series The Loudest Voice is much better though.
Dark Waters 7.5/10 - Anything with Mark Ruffalo in it is worth seeing.
Parasite 8/10 - Got a screener with dodgy subtitles so that spoiled certain parts but it was very good.
Richard Jewell - 8/10 - Good cast. Makes you think about how you treat people. Warm fuzzy feelings. Has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Jojo Rabbit 9.5/10 - Absolutely brilliant. Have watched it four times. The ending just makes you want to smile. Also has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Little Women 7.5/10 - Can't fault it too much but not really a fan of period stuff.
1917 6/10 - Terribly disappointing. Sure, the one-shot style is well done and should be applauded, but it ultimately fell flat. The contrast between the two main characters didn't work. The moments of conflict and escalating tension didn't work. There was little empathy felt. I like George MacKay but the two main characters were sorely lacking. I think it was mostly down to the writing.
Knives Out 6.5/10 - Bit meh for me but others seem to enjoy it.
Marriage Story 7.5/10 - Good without being great. There's something about Adam Driver that bugs me. Frustratingly realistic.
The Gentlemen 9/10 - Can't really go wrong with Guy Ritchie. Hugh Grant was amazing. Very good cast.
Uncut Gems NR - Got about 25 minutes in before I had to give up. It made me uncomfortable and nauseous.

I like TWDY's New Other's albums but S/T never really did it for me. I also have Explosions, Caspian, sleepmakeswaves, And So I watch you From Afar on my rather eclectic looking Spotify list.

All good suggestions. I'm going to be alright with music for awhile me thinks.
I'm never alright for music.

Bombshell 7.5/10 - John Lithgow and Charlize Theron were great. The seven-part series The Loudest Voice is much better though.
Dark Waters 7.5/10 - Anything with Mark Ruffalo in it is worth seeing.
Parasite 8/10 - Got a screener with dodgy subtitles so that spoiled certain parts but it was very good.
Richard Jewell - 8/10 - Good cast. Makes you think about how you treat people. Warm fuzzy feelings. Has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Jojo Rabbit 9.5/10 - Absolutely brilliant. Have watched it four times. The ending just makes you want to smile. Also has the added bonus of Sam Rockwell.
Little Women 7.5/10 - Can't fault it too much but not really a fan of period stuff.
1917 6/10 - Terribly disappointing. Sure, the one-shot style is well done and should be applauded, but it ultimately fell flat. The contrast between the two main characters didn't work. The moments of conflict and escalating tension didn't work. There was little empathy felt. I like George MacKay but the two main characters were sorely lacking. I think it was mostly down to the writing.
Knives Out 6.5/10 - Bit meh for me but others seem to enjoy it.
Marriage Story 7.5/10 - Good without being great. There's something about Adam Driver that bugs me. Frustratingly realistic.
The Gentlemen 9/10 - Can't really go wrong with Guy Ritchie. Hugh Grant was amazing. Very good cast.
Uncut Gems NR - Got about 25 minutes in before I had to give up. It made me uncomfortable and nauseous.
Frustratingly realistic is a good way to describe parts of Marriage Story.

Still yet to see Knives Out and The Gentlemen. Keep to see both.

Have you seen either of the films Ari Aster has put out lately? Hereditary and Midsommar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back