Autopsy Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The most damning stat of the night is the age of their team..

Duggan - 23
Ryan - 23
Waterman - 22
Cole - 23
Petrucelle - 21
Brayshaw - 22
Ainsworth - 22
O’Neill - 20
Brander - 21
Rotham - 22
Allen - 21

Barrass and Nelson both 24

literally half their team 24 or under.
Clark - 21
Coffield - 20
Paton - 21
King - 20
Battle - 22
Long - 21
With Steele, Lonie and Butler, wilkie Marshall is all 24, with a bunch on the sidelines.
That really wasn't the issue, Infact our group easily beat theirs. The issue was our 25+ age players being ineffective. (Ryder the exception)
Ross
Billings
Geary
Hind
Membrey,
Kent but then again we only had 2 players above the age of 28, which were Geary and Ryder, compared to west coasts Sheppard, Gaff, Natanui (spelling), Hurn, Kennedy, Darling, Schofield list goes on.

The truth is that as bad as this loss seems, it isn’t. We are a new team, inexperienced. That is why it’s vital to add experience as well as catering to our young group.

I'm feeling very flat today but we should never expect to win games with a 6.14 score line. The game was there for the taking in the last quarter and we failed to capitalise by kicking 3.5.

The disappointment I feel is mainly because I know we let another potential win slip through our fingers; however, this year I've gone into most games feeling that we could win. Last year I went into most games hoping we could win.

For me this year has a kind of 2003 vibe. Developing list, some very good results, some poor results, mostly competitive but lacking real composure when required . It all came together for us in 2004 and we went deep into the finals. I really do hope we get to play a final this year because I feel it would really help our development but mostly for my sanity.
03 is a good comparison. We are learning and we will learn how to win close games as we get more experience.

Luckily we have 3 golden chances left.

1) If the Dogs lose on Sunday we are in regardless of other results.

2) We win next Friday night

Or 3) Dogs lose to Fremantle next weekend

King might not be ready for the number 1 spot but we also give him f**k all opportunity. He continually has the ball kicked on his head or over it. He gets double teamed by the opposition most weeks. He has to compete in the air against his own team mates. He has only played 15 games.
when we kick it to his advantage we will see better output.
he’s never going to be ready unless we pump games into him. That way when he is ready he has 40-50 games under his belt

All these geniuses going off on King, who and what is your alternative?
I dont necessarily know if there is an answer, but do we need to look at Marshall spending more time forward or Battle playing as a key forward next week?

Thats the third game in a row that King has been demolished. He is still learning and developing, and those things are going to happen but can we afford for it to happen for a 4th game in a row? Do we have an alternative to make the forward line function more? And if we do, we need to think about it for next weeks game.

I'm feeling very flat today but we should never expect to win games with a 6.14 score line. The game was there for the taking in the last quarter and we failed to capitalise by kicking 3.5.

The disappointment I feel is mainly because I know we let another potential win slip through our fingers; however, this year I've gone into most games feeling that we could win. Last year I went into most games hoping we could win.

For me this year has a kind of 2003 vibe. Developing list, some very good results, some poor results, mostly competitive but lacking real composure when required . It all came together for us in 2004 and we went deep into the finals. I really do hope we get to play a final this year because I feel it would really help our development but mostly for my sanity.

I reckon the list of kids looked a bit more exciting in that era. There seemed to be a lot more positive momentum around that time. It seemed inevitable that we'd improve. This time I'm cautiously optimistic rather than expecting everything to go right. Maybe it's age making me more of a realist.

I dont necessarily know if there is an answer, but do we need to look at Marshall spending more time forward or Battle playing as a key forward next week?

Thats the third game in a row that King has been demolished. He is still learning and developing, and those things are going to happen but can we afford for it to happen for a 4th game in a row? Do we have an alternative to make the forward line function more? And if we do, we need to think about it for next weeks game.
As Snake said above, King was destroyed by the entries.
He still managed 4 shots on goal, and frustratingly drops marks he should take.
Not playing him isn’t the answer, I’d like to see Battle play forward for a whole game to drag at least one of the 3 defenders that seem to converge on Max, away.
Our “senior” mids really do him a disservice, and I reckon in a few years time a few posters will be pretty embarrassed by their slamming of a first year KPF, he’s clearly a freak in the making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don't ruin King, he has gone from looking like an alpha dog to uncertain as the season goes on. Hopefully it's fatigue not a mental battering that we've put him through.

Would rather Newnes for Billings 😜

Newnes has turned into the clutch man. He had a game for us against Collingwood a few years ago where he looked like De Goey so Richo found him somewhere less effective to play after that.

In addition to, not instead of, I agree.
Would be mad to hold Max back.

Max is getting double teamed. Rather than helping, Membrey is loose and playing the worst season of his career.

Max is getting double teamed. Rather than helping, Membrey is loose and playing the worst season of his career.
Yep. It’s actually pretty astonishing that we sit where we do.
If someone had said we’d be 6th after round 15, with Billings, Hill, Membrey, Ross and Geary having poor/very poor years, while missing Hanners, Dunstan and Gresh for all/majority of the year, I reckon we’d have jumped at it.
Still, I feel like my life is over this morning, such is the grip these *ers have over me 😂

As Snake said above, King was destroyed by the entries.
He still managed 4 shots on goal, and frustratingly drops marks he should take.
Not playing him isn’t the answer, I’d like to see Battle play forward for a whole game to drag at least one of the 3 defenders that seem to converge on Max, away.
Our “senior” mids really do him a disservice, and I reckon in a few years time a few posters will be pretty embarrassed by their slamming of a first year KPF, he’s clearly a freak in the making.
I think it is a bit of both.

Some of the entires were appalling and not helpful to the forwards at all. Some were just rushed, panicked kicks inside 50 with no thought process on who was actually there.

But our entire forward line has also lost all structure. There was little leading from the forwards into space, too many times three forward were all running to the one spot and trying to mark the same ball. They need to be leading into different areas, not to the one spot. The forwards aren't getting any separation from their defenders many more which is get congesting the entire forward line and is making kicking into the 50 even harder.

Yep. It’s actually pretty astonishing that we sit where we do.
If someone had said we’d be 6th after round 15, with Billings, Hill, Membrey, Ross and Geary having poor/very poor years, while missing Hanners, Dunstan and Gresh for all/majority of the year, I reckon we’d have jumped at it.
Still, I feel like my life is over this morning, such is the grip these f***ers have over me 😂
Did you get that roast out of the bin and have a little gnaw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back