Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all. Long time lurker first time poster. What worries me about this team ( I honestly believe we have one of the most talented lists) but I feel like we completely sh*t the bed at crucial times. I was watching the game live and with about a minute left at half forward was screamint kick it back kick it back, wind down the clock- and what do they do, they kick it long to a contest and completely open up the game in the last 45 seconds. This has triggered me so bad that this is my first post after being on here for 3 years. Like if I can recognise this how can they not out on the ground. I think we’re too immature still. There’s not way we are winning the premiership this year. I just don’t think they are ready unfortunately. Anyway thanks for listening maybe I will contribute more in the future

I don't think we can win it either this year. Even with our best 22, we fail at too many key moments.

Based on Bevo’s presser it’s hard to be confident. Very obvious they don’t want to hotel quarantine for the week. Going to be hard to shake this lose and then face that, particularly given the players now don’t get a bye week.
Pretty sure it's 2 weeks quarantine from Victoria... and going through NSW would be stupid right now ..

Was anybody surprised when BT started banging on about how great Geelongs 3 big forwards have been. Yet, didn't have the awareness that our combination of the same had kicked more goals them them before tonight?

Nah, didn't think you would be.

Good effort. Can't complain when a game is that close.
Massive missed opportunity though. Feeling very numb.

On a positive note so happy to see Maclean back.
And Wallis was pretty good in that second half.

Good summation. I feel like we're slowly inching closer to putting out our best (available) side. Feel like Toby definitely has a part (ahead of McNeil) and Wallis, while obviously not as fast as Hannan for the purposes of forward pressure, is infinitely more dependable. Would feel better with Wood/Toby/Wallis playing each week (compared to a couple of others), and think Bev is working towards it. Then when Dunks and Treloar are available we'll see what's what.

Actually this game reminds me of that game we lost to Hawthorn when we lost by three points in round 2 or 3 in 2016. Captain Bob got injured that night. It is probably the game we had to have. Loved Mclean and great to see Wallis back. Hannan is slow and not very good. we needed Sweet there. Getting Woody, Treloar and Dunkley will make us unbeatable. If we had to lose a game that will make us really hungry in September, it was this one. They cannot beat us in a final at the MCG with what they had tonight. Geelong are slow and old. We just lacked composure tonight and a bit more talent. We will learn from this one big time.

Absolutely gutted. Very happy with our performance from McLean, Bruce, Libba, English, and a few others, but Gee, Hannan has to go. If Bevo doesn’t drop him, he’s playing favorites. No wonder he got booted out of Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuse to not have significant numbers behind the ball when Dogs had possession on the wing with a minute to go…. Geelong were always going to slingshot through the middle in high risk mode given the match situation, so to be one on one initially and then severely outnumbered in your own defence after Cordy’s kick was turned over is just very poor match management.

Good thing is it happened in Round 14, not a final so lessons can be learnt. As a Tigers supporter in 2017 we lost 2 games in a row basically after the siren due to poor structures at the death …. it was the worst I’ve ever felt as a supporter, I was shattered … but we learned some great lessons and the rest is history.

No Dunkley, Treloar, Martin and Naughton against a full strength Geelong on their cow-pat… I’d be very confident as a Dogs supporter as I thought Cats should win easily based on team availability and home ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Im no fan of Ryans and would like to think my criticism here has been based purely on what I have seen on the field and not crossed the line into the truly personal.

However, any sad campaigner who would take the time to go onto his social media page and s**t post him directly should give themselves an uppercut and can get ****ed!

No excuse to not have significant numbers behind the ball when Dogs had possession on the wing with a minute to go…. Geelong were always going to slingshot through the middle in high risk mode given the match situation, so to be one on one initially and then severely outnumbered in your own defence after Cordy’s kick was turned over is just very poor match management.

Good thing is it happened in Round 14, not a final so lessons can be learnt. As a Tigers supporter in 2017 we lost 2 games in a row basically after the siren due to poor structures at the death …. it was the worst I’ve ever felt as a supporter, I was shattered … but we learned some great lessons and the rest is history.

No Dunkley, Treloar, Martin and Naughton against a full strength Geelong on their cow-pat… I’d be very confident as a Dogs supporter as I thought Cats should win easily based on team availability and home ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought we lacked om field leadership in the last few minutes of that game (not Bonts fault but he cant do everything) but if Wallis is not going to be playing s senior football then we need to put somebody in that Vice Captain role

Actually this game reminds me of that game we lost to Hawthorn when we lost by three points in round 2 or 3 in 2016. Captain Bob got injured that night. It is probably the game we had to have. Loved Mclean and great to see Wallis back. Hannan is slow and not very good. we needed Sweet there. Getting Woody, Treloar and Dunkley will make us unbeatable. If we had to lose a game that will make us really hungry in September, it was this one. They cannot beat us in a final at the MCG with what they had tonight. Geelong are slow and old. We just lacked composure tonight and a bit more talent. We will learn from this one big time.

Agree in a way but we’ve also had a game “we’ve had to have” against Melbourne and Richmond. I don’t know why we don’t persist with Sweet (I don’t think he’s actually had a terrible game yet!). Even taking away his ruck duties he’s been pretty good around the ground.

Not a fan of Gardner but we don’t really have many options. Lewis Young looks good in the VFL but in the seniors he makes poor decisions and turns it over a lot.

Hannan, nostalgic about his VFL form back in the day but he has really been terrible. The Benjamin button of footy where his skill goes backward with every game played.

Losing Naughton really messed us up aerially.

We really let this one slip.

I just don't know how many more examples Bev needs of Tim being the main ruck being the worst option for the team, and for Tim.

Tim's effectiveness playing as the ruck and as a forward are night and day. Wouldn't have been so easy for Geelong to intercept if we had Tim's height and marking up there. He runs out games, and presents, so much better when he doesn't have to worry about rucking.

Not that the ruck battle lost us the game. But Tim seems to get pushed around so much more easily in that position, but play him as a forward and he's a massive marking threat.

Considering how much more effective Tim is as a forward, playing him as the main ruck is robbing Peter, but also robbing Paul. Please, no more.

Does anyone else feel like our coaches don't give us the best chance to win? Seeing guys like Hannan and Macrae in the ruck just feels odd.

Um, yes. Our players did not lose that game, our match committee and coaches did. I thought we’d turned a corner with this but evidently not.

Although that last minute or two when we’re in possession in our forward half is pretty brutal from a decision making and execution perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back