Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

No I was busy spending all week sleeping under the grandstand and then coming out for an hourly boo session.
Are you taking your dog šŸ¶?

I hope that Ratten has to sit down with the likes of Bassatt at the end of the year and explain why our effort has been so poor and what we are going to do about it.

This was finals on the line and we dish up sh*t effort and pressure. It's just beyond a joke now and Ratten needs to have some idea of why.

If he doesn't know why and doesn't know how to change it I don't see how he plans to have success with these players.

I noticed in his coach's message he referred "once again" to the lack of skill amongst the players and their inability to handle pressure...and most noticeably that these players will need to be moved on for guys that can play. It was subtle, and he had a poker face on, but it was fairly clear. I'm hoping that a few of these blokes know that they're gone...and they're just running the clock out during the game. It's the only thing that explains their pathetic attempts to play the sport.

Not sold on Ratts selection integrity, not playing Carlisle when we've desperately needed him, Dean Kent FMD if he plays again next week I'll spew up, no way he should have been in the side last night. The Battle dropping was gob smacking, why did Coffield go out with Sincalir getting injured, Hunter playing as a second ruckmen against a side with a ruckmen who hasn't cracked 20 games yet. Moronic stuff.

100% This. šŸ‘šŸ‘

Geez some people really are pathetic aren't they.

I don't agree with it, but they bloody deserve it. What they produced on Friday was a disgrace. The fans should have a say, they pay money on memberships and games and help provide a future lifestyle for these "professionals" that the majority of folk will never get near too. It's not like they're going to learn anything in a review, or get dropped for their sub-par performances. There are no repercussions for their lack of standards from the coaches...so if it takes booing them to make them realise that we at least expect better, then so be it.

There is a few things that we need to do for the off season and next year
1) free up cap space by getting rid of Ross Dunstan and billings (also include Robertson in that)
2) use that cap space to get Josh Kelly. A gun midfielder who can actually kick.
3) put Josh battle in the back line and leave him there to be our chb. Wtf do we move him around everywhere. He was a good chb in the one year he played there. But he is a sh*t wing, a sh*t forward and a sh*t part time ruck.
4) get our best players on the park for the whole season
5) draft a legitimate gun (not a half back flank)
6) see if anyone would consider trading for coff.
7) get an easier draw because we played sh*t this year

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope we back Coff in to take his career into his own hands. Invest in players like him to pick themselves up (had a downer but development is non-linear etc etc but he is getting a bit into his career now), and thatā€™s the sort of stuff which breeds culture and builds faith. Plus who would want him for a fair price, itā€™s like buying high and selling low. Big big off-season for him coming up.

Either give us 2020 Coff back, or reinvent coff into a midfielder/winger but whatever it is itā€™ll take effort. Highmore seems to be a no-mucking around type operator which I love. He owns that intercepting spot currently.

Last edited:
Pitch him on the idea that taking St Kilda to its 2nd Premiership would cement his legacy as the greatest coach of all time. That's something no other team can offer him.
Give him total control of the coaching staff. Give him a 5 year deal. Give him free reign to do what needs to be done.
Clarkson's legacy is fine. He could coach the Sun's to the next 5 spoons and be remembered as the best coach of his lifetime.

A big disappointment against Carlton was how Marshall, who is a pretty good ruckman, just didn't assert himself against sh*t opponents, and how a few of our more experienced players just ran around and got enough of the ball, but didn't have much effect at all..just playing for themselves. Our forward half is really low quality, and a few handfuls of goals here and there from Max won't get us up the tree. Pretty average tactically too.
Need to make some tough calls on the playing list over summer.

I would kill for us to just be comfortable playing 1 ruck. They only had De Koning and had to resort to playing a 3rd tall as their ruckman when he went down. Why did Hunter get the nod as a late inclusion over Coffield, Bytel or anyone else we have waiting who can move faster than The Queen Mary? I get that we've done better with Ryder and Roma in the same team but that's clearly not broad spectrum all 2 ruck setup.
My thoughts exactly

A big disappointment against Carlton was how Marshall, who is a pretty good ruckman, just didn't assert himself against sh*t opponents, and how a few of our more experienced players just ran around and got enough of the ball, but didn't have much effect at all..just playing for themselves. Our forward half is really low quality, and a few handfuls of goals here and there from Max won't get us up the tree. Pretty average tactically too.
Need to make some tough calls on the playing list over summer.
Paddy is a great "ruckman", Marshall is a good "follower".

So we get rid of someone that is worth something and keep someone that no one wanted ?

You don't think that sounds like us? Battle will ask to leave at this rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is trading battle. We have hardly any tallā€™s
Gotta think bold. Membrey to gc for there first rounder. Just floating the idea but bring on the debate

Honestly we would be smart to do that and chase Riccardi or Finlayson. We don't play Membrey as a KPF and we don't need a slow thinking HHF. We need someone to play along side King even as a foil.

Yep thats how it works unless you are trading with Carlton and they are offering Pick 5 for a hbf!!!!
What pick did we give up for Hill and what position is he playing?

Would be weird to not pick a player if they warranted selection because of a minimal wage trigger, itā€™s not like the mystical 5th year for Hanners, particularly when we have so many clear list spots coming up.
Or list management is very clear they donā€™t want Lonie there next year

Or list management is very clear they donā€™t want Lonie there next year

We might need to keep him, Butler is playing s**t. Need to have pressure for one spot. Butler is getting a free ride.

We might need to keep him, Butler is playing sh*t. Need to have pressure for one spot. Butler is getting a free ride.
Gresham will play the small forward next year
Gresham Higgins Butler next year as smalls Lonie and Kent gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back