Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:
Thanks, another extremely relevant point is the opportunity cost of starting say an English and Marshall over a Gawn and Grundy. I'm going with the latter 2 and the dosh saved allows me to bring in Stewart over Coffield. There's a couple of bonuses that I think outweigh the cost of those 2 missing an extra game, firstly there's the points gain with Stewart who could outscore Coffield by 40PPG, over 6 rounds that's 240pts, Grawndy lose say 80pts and to then break even with English/Marshall would have to score a combined 35PPG less, I can't really see the combinations being that far apart. Secondly, I have an extra premo in the team with Stewart saving me around 3 trades in upgrading to him.

I'm sort of using the same thinking but in reverse by starting Young over Daicos, the money saved get's me Zilliams and 1 less rookie on the field, Crouch over Green is similar.

In my team I'm currently looking at 13 keepers, 2 MP/stepping stones and 7 rookies. Over those early byes I'm hoping to have just the 3 rookie scores count with Grundy missing rnd5 and Gawn rnd6.

Good strategy - initially I was all in on English and Marshall, but your practical comments helped me see the difference was minor, and like this game has always been, it's still about cash accumulation wherever it is available.

The middle ground seems to be the best ground - having one of English or Marshall.

There is something in what #danster168 says about trade saving, but the middle ground on that seems more comfortable with less of benefits than first thought, rather than all in!

Good strategy - initially I was all in on English and Marshall, but your practical comments helped me see the difference was minor, and like this game has always been, it's still about cash accumulation wherever it is available.

The middle ground seems to be the best ground - having one of English or Marshall.

There is something in what #danster168 says about trade saving, but the middle ground on that seems more comfortable with less of benefits than first thought, rather than all in!

I need a solid C option, and English provides that. Gawndy would cause hassles in that area.

I think the middle ground is good, but the aggressive approach could pay off

I need a solid C option, and English provides that. Gawndy would cause hassles in that area.

I think the middle ground is good, but the aggressive approach could pay off
Absolutely agree the aggressive play has appeal, however I did that last season, and whilst it started well, it proved a struggle all season, while the English/Marshall set and forget teams did so well.

Surprised so many are looking to pick a player priced at 118; that’s almost never ended well in the past
I think the issue of the round 0 and corresponding byes is what’s pushing people that way

Gawn and Grundy would be absolute montys for R1 and R2 if it weren’t for these early byes

I think the issue of the round 0 and corresponding byes is what’s pushing people that way

Gawn and Grundy would be absolute montys for R1 and R2 if it weren’t for these early byes
Yeah can understand that, but these early byes are being hugely overplayed as reasons not to pick a player IMO (uber premos aside). I don’t think it will be at all hard to get a decent score in those rounds with one of your value rucks missing given that only 2 teams will be on a bye and you’ll likely still have 20, 21 even 22 players on the ground that you’re then getting best 18 scores from.

Surprised so many are looking to pick a player priced at 118; that’s almost never ended well in the past
I had a look at this last year. Every player that has averaged 120 has averaged 110+ the next year for a fairly decent number of years. I think all bar 2 over the past decade. I'll have to check my numbers but I think that was pretty close.

I had a look at this last year. Every player that has averaged 120 has averaged 110+ the next year for a fairly decent number of years. I think all bar 2 over the past decade. I'll have to check my numbers but I think that was pretty close.
Sure and if somebody who averaged 120 last year averages 110 this year that’s not a terrible result, but it’s still not a win or a decent return on investment. I’m a big believer in trying to get nearly everyone in your side to outperform their price.

People who started with Laird this year, or Steele/Miller last year, would have been better off spending less money on players that ended up averaging much the same as those fully priced options. I see Gawn going pretty close to English so I wager it’ll be a similar situation again this year.

Last edited:
How many have actually averaged 120, out of interest - seems a high bar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fancy him too, for better (or more likely) worse.
The injury was detailed as aggravated - meaning it is a prior injury, and the scheduled return is for LATE January. Wasn't the worst news but still warrants a watch I reckon.

1704325623365.png

Goes against the way I normally play the game, but really coming around to English. 11x 120+, 6x140+. He’s in his absolute prime and can’t see him slowing down. If you don’t start him, going to be hard to get to him
Gives you a Captain option too

Goes against the way I normally play the game, but really coming around to English. 11x 120+, 6x140+. He’s in his absolute prime and can’t see him slowing down. If you don’t start him, going to be hard to get to him
There's a world where I think starting him would be better than trading into him regardless of cost. I have more faith in English putting up 140s than I do Bontempelli, Laird, Brayshaw, etc.

One of the major factors in starting him is his lack of round 0 and captain scores. Its him or Bont for me and I’m leaning English’s way

One of the major factors in starting him is his lack of round 0 and captain scores. Its him or Bont for me and I’m leaning English’s way
Yeah i feel the same, but if you're going one or the other who's the guy on the other end?

For me its

Bont and Xerri
or
English and P Dow at the moment (Could go Wardlaw)

I think id prefer Xerri over Dow and Wardlaw right now so that's why im leaning towards Bont.

Yeah i feel the same, but if you're going one or the other who's the guy on the other end?

For me its

Bont and Xerri
or
English and P Dow at the moment (Could go Wardlaw)

I think id prefer Xerri over Dow and Wardlaw right now so that's why im leaning towards Bont.
Yeah good way to look at it. I guess I'm not really settled across midfield but at the moment it would be English Simpkin v Xerri Bont and I still lean English's way.

I like Xerri as a pick but I wonder what his ceiling is. To me it's probably around the 85 mark. 20 points upside. Simpkin is probably 95 mark which is also 20 points. Tough one.

Yeah good way to look at it. I guess I'm not really settled across midfield but at the moment it would be English Simpkin v Xerri Bont and I still lean English's way.

I like Xerri as a pick but I wonder what his ceiling is. To me it's probably around the 85 mark. 20 points upside. Simpkin is probably 95 mark which is also 20 points. Tough one.
Yeah its all just guessing at this point, gotta go with the info come pre season and what you think :p.

Do you go this guy:

1704352416121.png

or this guy:

1704352498499.png

Both the same Club - the first is about $100k more.

Back