Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Dillon was on the 9 footy show this morning and said that he definitely did. He also said that he couldn't actually say what was said on t.v.

Are you are saying that the AFL CEO is telling lies?

My reading was that the ump didn't hear what was said, but it was demonstrative.
As the Carlton supporter stated earlier, there is no way that the dissent shit should've happened under those circumstances, especially considering the state of the game. It was an umpire directed result. We don't want that surely.

Besides what else would that fella say, he's the CEO of a propaganda machine

Mistaking can happen, I'm ok with that. The umpire could have heard only "you ******* idiot".

When the umpires say to Pearce when questioned, we didn't hear it. Then I have a real issue with that.
But that would have been the umpires that Clark didn't abuse. The umpire that he did abuse clearly heard it and reported it to the AFL.

Keep clutching at straws though.

Because if it's in the last 30 seconds of the game what have they got to.lose?

Last years semi Carlton v Melbourne . Acres kicks a goal which wins the game. McGovern kind of helps protect the space for Acres. Melbourne challenge as they have nothing to lose. It comes down to a review as to they want to reverse on a tiggy touchwood interference call.

Is that how you believe our great game should go?

What part of not reviewable are you not getting? It wouldn't be open slather. Wowee.

Jordan Clark claiming he was abusing himself in the 3rd person.

“You are a ******* idiot, Jordan”

Yes, really.

The umpire has heard this, and penalised Freo, despite clearly NOT being named Jordan.

What a terrible misunderstanding for all concerned.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

My reading was that the ump didn't hear what was said, but it was demonstrative.
As the Carlton supporter stated earlier, there is no way that the dissent s**t should've happened under those circumstances, especially considering the state of the game. It was an umpire directed result. We don't want that surely.

Besides what else would that fella say, he's the CEO of a propaganda machine
So your saying that Andrew Dillon is telling lies. Despite claiming to know exactly what was said.? Despite Clark being shown in a video previously doing the same thing?

Realistically the dissent free kick not being paid would only have prolonged Freos pain for 40 seconds . Having kicked 3 goals in open play for a full game they were no chance to kick a goal in the last 40 seconds. They still had 20 seconds from the restart and couldn't get it in their front half.

Once again the AFL have very clearly and conclusively said that the umpire heard exactly what Clark said and that it was definitely abusive. We might go with that rather than Jon Ralph's rubbish.

To be fair if the ball went back to the centre freo were about a 0% chance of Freo kicking a goal within 40 seconds having laboured for over 100 minutes to kick 9, 6 of which were from frees.
The AfFL said eh, lol.

Are you implying that a single unrelated (and correct) umpiring decision 9 years ago is evidence of systematic bias in favour of Victorian teams?

Good lord... conspiracies everywhere!
No, just that match.

The wider AFL is just about money, and the Vic’s have the most of it so naturally the business follows it. No concerns there.

What part of not reviewable are you not getting? It wouldn't be open slather. Wowee.
You don't think that Melbourne wouldn't have challenged the Acres goal on the basis that McGovern infringed in the marking contest in the last minute of the game? You probably need to go back and have a look at it.

Collingwood would have used a captains challenge in the 2018 grand final about Maynard being blocked in the marking contest with Sheed. Review upheld and a different grand final result.

The pies could also have challenged the Harmes/Sheldon goal in 1979 as being out if bounds.

Maybe we could just go and retrospectively change the premiership results where a captains challenge may have effectively changed the result or at least put an asterisk against the current premiers.

Everyone makes mistakes, including the players and umpires. There needs to be an ability to review all obvious errors from umpires, as there is technology available for it. Next season AFL must introduce either:

a) A challenge system, where the captain of each team is allowed to request a review of the previous play. Must be in the last 10 seconds. Potentially give each team 1 review a match and if they use it and get it wrong, they can't review again in the match. If they review and get it correct, they retain the review to use it again.
b) Umpires can choose to review decisions and send it upstairs to review, like the score reviews.

AFL would need to clarify what exactly can be reviewed e.g. Any marks for touched? Any in the back frees? Any above the shoulder frees? Etc.

Everyone makes mistakes, including the players and umpires. There needs to be an ability to review all obvious errors from umpires, as there is technology available for it. Next season AFL must introduce either:

a) A challenge system, where the captain of each team is allowed to request a review of the previous play. Must be in the last 10 seconds. Potentially give each team 1 review a match and if they use it and get it wrong, they can't review again in the match. If they review and get it correct, they retain the review to use it again.
b) Umpires can choose to review decisions and send it upstairs to review, like the score reviews.

AFL would need to clarify what exactly can be reviewed e.g. Any marks for touched? Any in the back frees? Any above the shoulder frees? Etc.
Once again would you be happy if sheeds mark and subsequent goal in the grand final was challenged and overruled by someone in a box because Maynard was blocked and the pies won the flag as a result?

Once again would you be happy if sheeds mark and subsequent goal in the grand final was challenged and overruled by someone in a box because Maynard was blocked and the pies won the flag as a result?
If that non free kick is a reviewable decision then so be it. I don't know how you overturn that call though as it's purely interpretation. The review should overturn obvious errors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that non free kick is a reviewable decision then so be it. I don't know how you overturn that call though as it's purely interpretation. The review should overturn obvious errors
Looked like a free kick though didn't it. Even more so when slowed down. Personally I don't think that someone in a box away from the ground should decide a grand final by interpretation.

Cats could have used a captains challenge last night to overturn Bailey Williams mark and goal to get the dogs close. Looked like a push in the back for mine.

Where does it end. Things bought in with good intentions end up changing the fabric of the game. It might clear up the once in a blue moon error like yesterday but create another 10 balance of probability changes.

That would be a no for me.

You don't think that Melbourne wouldn't have challenged the Acres goal on the basis that McGovern infringed in the marking contest in the last minute of the game? You probably need to go back and have a look at it.

Collingwood would have used a captains challenge in the 2018 grand final about Maynard being blocked in the marking contest with Sheed. Review upheld and a different grand final result.

The pies could also have challenged the Harmes/Sheldon goal in 1979 as being out if bounds.

Maybe we could just go and retrospectively change the premiership results where a captains challenge may have effectively changed the result or at least put an asterisk against the current premiers.

I was talking about your hypothetical. Yes that Sheed mark would have been reviewed. Would it have been overturned? No idea.

I dont think the 1979 thing is even worth talking about given the angle doesn't give anything definitive.

And your last quip just shows you are losing grip of reality in this conversation. Go get a breather.

Looked like a free kick though didn't it. Even more so when slowed down. Personally I don't think that someone in a box away from the ground should decide a grand final by interpretation.

Cats could have used a captains challenge last night to overturn Bailey Williams mark and goal to get the dogs close. Looked like a push in the back for mine.

Where does it end. Things bought in with good intentions end up changing the fabric of the game. It might clear up the once in a blue moon error like yesterday but create another 10 balance of probability changes.

That would be a no for me.
Where does it end? Like I posted any obvious errors are overturned and only certain incidents can be reviewed, which the AFL must confirm before the start of the season what they are. If it is up to interpretation then it is not an obvious error.

But that would have been the umpires that Clark didn't abuse. The umpire that he did abuse clearly heard it and reported it to the AFL.

Keep clutching at straws though.

Unless of course Jordan Clark self-reported his self-deprecation and it was somehow lost in translation?

They’re all self-reporting these days you know.

I was talking about your hypothetical. Yes that Sheed mark would have been reviewed. Would it have been overturned? No idea.

I dont think the 1979 thing is even worth talking about given the angle doesn't give anything definitive.

And your last quip just shows you are losing grip of reality in this conversation. Go get a breather.
So we have 8 prospective captains challenges because bloopers matter as much in each quarter. A fifth umpire sits and reviews things that four umpires have already looked at.

Would Bailey Williams mark last night be overturned on a challenge. Looked like a push to me. Would have kept the cats buffer intact.

Every close game will have numerous reviews and coaches will soon start facing the system to aid their team. All to stamp out the one error that influenced a fame that we have seen for quite some time. Years?

The only winners would be the broadcasters who can ram in more ads. You've admitted that a recent grand final result might have been changed by bringing this captains challenge in but I need to have a breather.

You might be better off sticking to manufactured sports like basketball.

the added score reviews this year are already ruining the spectacle. Imagine we had stoppages in play to do reviews it would turn end of footy matches into nba matches where the last 2 minutes go for 15 minutes. Sometimes in life u just have to accept that human error happens. Just like players make mistakes umpires do to

So, Ralph made it up or Pearce was lying?

1. Banfield and Holland one on one, Holland his arms around Banfield.
2. Acres marks a touch ball and takes two steps and get tackles and ball knocked out of his hands.
3. Amiss and McGovern one on one, frontal contact and Switta kicks the goal. Didn't need the free kick.
4. Newman gets a hand player from Acres, turns and takes two steps and Emmett tackles and ball is knock of his hand.
5. Acres takes two side steps and Treacy tackles and drops the ball.
6. Kemp goes to ground, drags the ball in and gets Tackled by Walters and doesn't release the ball.
Herald sun reporting headline "you f....ing idiot - new twist in freo abuse". I can't access the article but it would appear that there was actual abuse (despite your repeated reference to Ralph and Pearce).

Clark may try and claim that he was abusing himself. Would seem fairly unlikely when he was on the warpath about the ball being touched.

Sorry that I can't archive the article but I'm sure that someone with better technological knowledge than me can help us out.

So, Ralph made it up or Pearce was lying?

1. Banfield and Holland one on one, Holland his arms around Banfield.
2. Acres marks a touch ball and takes two steps and get tackles and ball knocked out of his hands.
3. Amiss and McGovern one on one, frontal contact and Switta kicks the goal. Didn't need the free kick.
4. Newman gets a hand player from Acres, turns and takes two steps and Emmett tackles and ball is knock of his hand.
5. Acres takes two side steps and Treacy tackles and drops the ball.
6. Kemp goes to ground, drags the ball in and gets Tackled by Walters and doesn't release the ball.
The age now reporting that Clark claims that he was swearing at himself when the abuse took place.

So can you please admit that there was abuse and stop rabbiting on about Jon Ralph and Pearce's views.

If you want to believe that a player who's man has taken a mark and kicked a goal to put his team in front late in the game against you that you vehemently believe was touched then turns around and loudly swears at himself then you are very gullible and I have a bridge to sell you.

Having 4 umpires has not worked needs to go back to 3. It takes away from their sense of accountability and responsibility believing someone else will make the big call. I just can’t believe or accept that not one of them thought it was touched. Need umpires to take charge not have 4 half asses

This thread is just one giant Freo melt.

If we're going to bring in reviews for marking decisions and all the rest of it then I reckon Curnow and McKay could have gotten about 20 free kicks from the scragging Pearce, Ryan and Draper were doing... Yet they got donuts on the day. Freo down the other end probably would have said the same thing.

Sometimes u get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't... That's just how it is in our game.

Reality is, if Freo didn't spend the whole game trying to play conservatively they probably would have been 5-6 goals up and nobody would have given 2 shites about the balls up at the end of the match by the umps.

Our last game of 2022 Saad was clearly blocked by Ginnivan as he tried to intercept a mark to Elliot who went on to end our season... On the flip side Maynard was clearly blocked in the Grand final which let Sheed kick the sealer and ended the Pies season... Shit like this happens every year.

Move on ya sooks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back