Aaron James cops 4 years!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
essendon
I'm sure everyone read the article in todays herald-sun. What are peoples views on:
The individual
The league
The implications
Open slather posters.......

geoffhopkinsburra said:
I'm sure everyone read the article in todays herald-sun. What are peoples views on:
The individual
The league
The implications

and if we didnt read it?? .... please fill me in?? four years for what??

Massively talented player that has never reached full potential because of anger and stupid behaviour. Deserved the 4 years after his display at the hearing and doesn't deserve an appeal becasue the same may happen again.

The article on page 101 of today's Herald-Sun reads:

ALL OVER FOR AARON?

Two weeks ago, we wrote about former Collingwood, Richmond and Bulldogs forward Aaron James kicking 23 goals for Sunbury Kangaroos.
No, the 30-year-old's playing career could be over.
On Tuesday night, James faced the Riddell District Football League tribunal charged with using abusive and threatening language towards an umpire and threatening behaviour towards an umpire.
Witnesses said James was walking from the ground when he turned, charged towards a field umpire and stood nose to nose while abusing him.
Charges of spitting at a spectator and striking a spectator were dismissed.
James was suspended for two years, but things didn't stop there.
The full-forward flew into a rage, throwing chairs around the room and abusing the tribunal members.
They promptly doubled his suspension to four years which means James will not be allowed to play in any league affiliated with Football Victoria.
League general manager Neill Sharpe said James had been playing in the first semi-final against Diggers Rest when he was sent off by an umpire for disputing a decision.
"He was shown a yellow card, which means he had to leave the field for 15 minutes, but he then threatened the umpire and was shown a red card," Sharpe said.
"The actual charges were for using abusive and threatening language towards an umpire and threatening behaviour towards an umpire.
"For those offences he was suspended for two years, but his actions thereafter in the tribunal room, which included chair throwing, saw the suspension doubled."
Diggers Rest won the game.
Yesterday the Sunbury Kangaroos lodged an appeal with the league. A date is yet to be set for the hearing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geoffhopkinsburra said:
The article on page 101 of today's Herald-Sun reads:

ALL OVER FOR AARON?

Two weeks ago, we wrote about former Collingwood, Richmond and Bulldogs forward Aaron James kicking 23 goals for Sunbury Kangaroos.
No, the 30-year-old's playing career could be over.
On Tuesday night, James faced the Riddell District Football League tribunal charged with using abusive and threatening language towards an umpire and threatening behaviour towards an umpire.
Witnesses said James was walking from the ground when he turned, charged towards a field umpire and stood nose to nose while abusing him.
Charges of spitting at a spectator and striking a spectator were dismissed.
James was suspended for two years, but things didn't stop there.
The full-forward flew into a rage, throwing chairs around the room and abusing the tribunal members.
They promptly doubled his suspension to four years which means James will not be allowed to play in any league affiliated with Football Victoria.
League general manager Neill Sharpe said James had been playing in the first semi-final against Diggers Rest when he was sent off by an umpire for disputing a decision.
"He was shown a yellow card, which means he had to leave the field for 15 minutes, but he then threatened the umpire and was shown a red card," Sharpe said.
"The actual charges were for using abusive and threatening language towards an umpire and threatening behaviour towards an umpire.
"For those offences he was suspended for two years, but his actions thereafter in the tribunal room, which included chair throwing, saw the suspension doubled."
Diggers Rest won the game.
Yesterday the Sunbury Kangaroos lodged an appeal with the league. A date is yet to be set for the hearing.

Sounds like a massive over reaction!

The guy is a blatant Moron.... on a footy trip to Adelaide a few years ago, he completely smashed a toilet off its grounding to the floor in HIS room.... not a smart man and may be able to play footy but doubt he has many real mates....

ringo1 said:
Sounds like a massive over reaction!

I agree, what a joke. Anyone would lose the plot if they copped 2 years for abusive language towards an umpire. This penalty is ridiculous.....

Junkie said:
I agree, what a joke. Anyone would lose the plot if they copped 2 years for abusive language towards an umpire. This penalty is ridiculous.....

I find it quite funny how people can argue about it.... if this abuse included threats, i think the ban should be longer.... there is no reason why someone should use abusive language/threats towards anyone on the field or sitting in the stands watching the game... the game is designed around kicking goals, and winning the game, its not a mouth off!

I'm not an Aaron James fan and i am quoted on saying on another forum that he would not be good for the League. So I'm not on a mission to stick up for the bloke.
I disagree with the sentence handed down on Tuesday nite. The amount of abuse that this man recieved was unbelievable. I myself like to throw banter around to try and put players off their game but these comments were going way too far. The things that were being said to this man like "Your girlfriends baby is going to die" "Your Mum's a whore" is just completely ridiculous. I agree that abusing umpires is wrong. But this abuse from spectators was obviously the final straw and he flipped. He was not getting any support from the officials or security at the ground to stop abuse, rock throwing and other means of throwing him off his game. I say Shame Shame to the RDFL for not supporting the Sunbury Kangaroos & Aaron James in their effort of bring drawcards to the league to make it a place where top notch players want to play.

MasterOfRoc said:
I find it quite funny how people can argue about it.... if this abuse included threats, i think the ban should be longer.... there is no reason why someone should use abusive language/threats towards anyone on the field or sitting in the stands watching the game... the game is designed around kicking goals, and winning the game, its not a mouth off!

I agree, mouthing off at umpires is pointless but two years is a long time.

I think one of the biggest problems is umpires talking too much to players and this comes from the AFL. Personally I don’t think umpires should say anything unless it's really called for. Explaining every decision is ok in juniors because it teaches the kids the rules, giving them a better understanding. However, at senior level it should be kept to a minimum and umpires in general should let the game go without trying to impact too much. Play the obvious free kicks, don't say much and if you don’t get noticed I think you've done your job.

James has obviously become frustrated at the abuse he receives and took his anger out on the umpire. He didn't physically abuse him so I think 2 years is too long.

geoffhopkinsburra said:
The individual
The league
The implications

what a ****ing discrase that there is an open slather thread on aaron james.i think what u have started here geoffhopkinsburra is criminal.allowing people to slander this man with a crude topic like this.
correct me if im wrong but surely the man has rights,and this is outrageous.u have basically asked an open forum of people to tee off on this man.im sure if i had a topic beginning with (everyone give me your thoughts on geoff hopkins) you would probably seek legal advice

All that is needed is a letter from a solicitor sent to the big footy administration and the identity of the people who "slander" behind the shield of a fake name will be reveald. Its as simple as that,

My point is, i would be very carful of what you say because a fake name hides nothing.

speaking of rights/rules/regulations... check out the Basic VCFL registration forum.... try the fine print which he has to read prior to signing on the line...

"in signing this form, i hearby agree to follow all rules set down by the league, in accordance to the VCFL regulations"

it goes something like that...

he broke those rules....

he gets punished.... simple

beenaround said:
The guy is a blatant Moron.... on a footy trip to Adelaide a few years ago, he completely smashed a toilet off its grounding to the floor in HIS room.... not a smart man and may be able to play footy but doubt he has many real mates....

what ever happened to WHAT HAPPENS ON A FOOTY TRIP STAYS ON A FOOTY TRIP?you sound like a mummys boy.how would u know he has no friends?from all the boyz at the kangaroos,we all reckon your a good bloke jamesey.lets get this ridiculous decision sorted out and we will show all the **** canners on the field late next year.u r a registered player with the kangaroos and u have our full support

Warren said:
All that is needed is a letter from a solicitor sent to the big footy administration and the identity of the people who "slander" behind the shield of a fake name will be reveald. Its as simple as that,

My point is, i would be very carful of what you say because a fake name hides nothing.

very good call warren.i am amazed at this topic.i cant say i ever thought this would be allowed to take place.what right does anyone have to victimise aaron in this way?it is basically open slather to charachter assassinate this man

Mongrel said:
from all the boyz at the kangaroos,we all reckon your a good bloke jamesey.lets get this ridiculous decision sorted out and we will show all the **** canners on the field late next year.u r a registered player with the kangaroos and u have our full support

Here here... All the way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back