Craig's Press Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

• Thanks for the support to the crowd for the year, for farewelling the guys tonight - made it one of the special nights tonight. Never seen anything like it at AAMI. Also for their stickability throughout the year. Thanks also to St Kilda for staying on to show their respect.
  • In response to a question from Rucci: We've seen in the last month a level of effort that we should expect more. But over the year we've got to ask the question, got to rate the year. It's been a year of under performance. There'll be some good things to come out of it, well we already know what they are. But we need to get our squad healthy again over the break so that we don't enter the season you know with 12-13 on your list injured and to just try and play a season like that is just too difficult. It creates too much heartache for our supporters so we've got that job ahead of us.
  • What is the greatest challenge?: That we need to get our squad back together. To continue to try and play that sort of football with limited numbers is a very difficult exercise because it tests your depth and I mean if we had to play again next week without Symes and Johncock, I'm not sure where we'd go with all that, so that will be our challenge. The last 4 weeks have been a similar little block to what we had mid year and that just demonstrates to play that sort of football but the consistency will be our biggest challenge. We'll still going to be a very young side but I think we've given our supporters some hope.

• In response to a question how St Kilda played in last quarter: didn't see a sense of urgency to score, reduced the work rate just to get through the game. Can understand that. Would like to have been in the same position, wish I had the opportunity - when you don't play finals you don't have the choice.
  • Brodie Martin was very good. Should give him great confidence to to have played AFL again and to finish with that quality of game should give him confidence to push for a regular place in the side over summer.
  • (Another question from Rucci): Lot of adversity throughout the year, really tough year for our whole football club. So I think that our playing group being able to keep strong after the first 6 games, and then to be able to reload half way through the year to play the next 8 out of 10 games that we were really happy - really difficult exercise to do after a poor start to the year. We received a lot of criticism throughout the year (warranted) that you need to be able to deal with and push on. Support group had to remain strong had to show up in numbers still [think this was a jibe at Port supporters] - they feel as much pain as we do.

more soon.... (didn't realise it went for so long! :eek: )

I'm a bit worried as to how you know this......

All four were up on stage being interviewed by Andrew Crowell, and they got to a part where he asked them to share something about the others most people didn't know.

Says Goodwin to 3000-odd people

"I don't have all that much to talk about myself, but even if i did Birdman isn't a man you want to stand next to in the shower"

Cue Birdman turning bright red, putting down his mic and bounding off stage, to the great amusement of the cheering crowd :thumbsu:

All four were up on stage being interviewed by Andrew Crowell, and they got to a part where he asked them to share something about the others most people didn't know.

Says Goodwin to 3000-odd people

"I don't have all that much to talk about myself, but even if i did Birdman isn't a man you want to stand next to in the shower"

Cue Birdman turning bright red, putting down his mic and bounding off stage, to the great amusement of the cheering crowd :thumbsu:
Haha, now that would be the ultimate embarassment you could receive from a mate! So we don't wear jocks in the showers then?:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, and one more thing from the shed. During the interview with Craig, then during the interview with the four retirees, during all the talk about what each player meant to the club, various memories, who they remember the most, their favourites to play with, and the best players they have ever played with or against - not from any of them was there a single mention of Tyson Edwards.

Make of that what you will.

what on earth was Craig talking about Walker in the mid for? or did I mis hear the players name

He said that Walker had started his career off in the midfield (and that this was a bonus because it made him aware of people around him). He also then went on to say that he'd played further up the ground at times this year, though not really in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back