Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Is set to be announced in a couple of hours:

Any tips? Obviously Davis and Ward will continue as captains, with Power retiring will we see a replacement 3rd co-captain? Or a leadership group with the two skippers plus 3-5 'leaders'?

I'd be happy to see just the two captains unless you want to elevate the Chad into Power's role but that would be purely symbolic. Leave it as two captains and have a "leadership group" of another 3-5 players.

Well, I was going to post this:
Tom Scully is a name I wouldn't be surprised to see given the recent article on his approach to this pre-season.

And as it turns out, Scully has been elevated to vice captain with Davis and Ward as co-captains.

Seems like a good group of individuals that could form the basis of club leadership for a good 5 years or more. Always been a believer that captains should be among your bset players. Few would argue that Ward, Davis and Scully arn't among our best.

I am sure it is no coincidence that Scully gets promoted after getting rid off his terrible haircut.

Good on him by the way, he is a very important player for us. Hopefully he steps it up this year.

Scully set to step up
"His composure in training, his leadership, his direction, his status in the group, has really gone to another level in comparison to last year's pre-season," Al McConnell, GWS' head of development, told AFL.com.au.

"He's training with a real composure and a belief he can take his game to another level.

"I think our whole group has improved, which is clear along a whole range of parameters – obviously physically, skills – but in Tom's case it's more in terms of his composure and the way he carries himself.

"It's been very evident and very positive. He just has a greater air of confidence about him."
Scully set to step up

GIANTS announce 2013 leadership group
Head Coach Kevin Sheedy said the club was delighted that Scully had been elevated to vice captain in his fourth year in the AFL.

"The feedback from our playing group was that Tom is a true professional who is highly respected for the way he prepares himself but also does a lot of little things that often go unnoticed during games," Sheedy said.

Scully said he was honoured to be recognised his peers and the coaching group and looked forward to the challenge ahead.

“I certainly wasn’t expecting this, but I’m very humbled to be voted by my teammates as vice captain and look forward to working closely with Phil and Callan,” said Scully.

“Since coming to the GIANTS I think my leadership is something which has really improved. Obviously being one of the players with a bit more experience in the squad is a unique thing in itself especially being so young myself.

“I think it has helped me mature a lot more as a person and as a footballer. It’s something that I have really embraced. Setting an example through leadership is something I hope to develop over this year and in the years to coming.

“I’m really looking forward to the year ahead and the responsibility that comes with it.”
GIANTS announce 2013 leadership group

Scully certainly deserves this, was good last year, copped some attention from other teams, but will only get better as he develops. Very excited to have him as one of the leaders for our giants!

Rodney Hogg@RMHogg
Francis Bourke, .James Hird , Tom Scully Who is in charge of the asylum?

Don't shoot the messenger

I can't interpret the message, but given the "don't shoot the messenger" comment I want to shoot the messenger because I suspect its sentiments are not positive and there would be little point posting it here otherwise.

I can't interpret the message, but given the "don't shoot the messenger" comment I want to shoot the messenger because I suspect its sentiments are not positive and there would be little point posting it here otherwise.

How dumb are you?Did you use to follow a melbourne based team?Bet it was not Fitzroy!

Nice article on Ward by Andrew Wu who has done some good articles on us lately, while on the other hand Tyson Otto from the tele is always looking to have crack. Anyway the article is worth a read:

Callan Ward is still in the early stages of his career but the Greater Western Sydney captain is already sitting quite comfortably among Kevin Sheedy's star-studded list of captains.
The master coach is an unashamed fan of Ward, so much so he is not afraid to place the former Western Bulldogs midfielder alongside one of his premiership captains at Essendon.
''I rate Callan near Mark Thompson - he was a good, strong leader,'' Sheedy said on the eve of the Giants' clash with his former club.
Thompson led Sheedy's famous Baby Bombers side to glory in 1993 and was the architect of Geelong's premiership successes in 2007 and 2009.
Advertisement
Sheedy painted the impression of Ward being a reluctant leader, but the coach had no qualms at all last year in installing the 23-year-old as one of the club's three co-captains.

Read more:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ward-a-giant-among-men-20130503-2iyeb.html#ixzz2SNFFq1Ju

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back