Autopsy 2023 Round 5 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sunday, April 16, 3.20PM AEST, Norwood Oval, SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to get the win although it does feel like a loss when you beat the wooden spoon favourite and a severely inexperienced team by 2 points and it needs a goal line save in the dying moments
The Good
Toby and HH, Cogs is finding some form and the ball movement was better from last week but again v the wooden spoon favourite I dont think it carrys much weight
No injuries

The bad

Jesses goal kicking
Bottom 6 players being ineffectual, it shows how the depth is non existent with playing some who are barely if at all afl standard, Kennedy needs more impact, Hamilton and Peatling need more games, Not sure on XOH he is a trier but if it was a final I would have no confidence in him
Coaches please play 2 rucks, they are making opposition rucks look like stars as Flynn is another trier but Reeves and his hitouts almost won the game for the Hawks and made Worpel look like he could play

Hopefully a good week on the track and good recovery

Good to get the win although it does feel like a loss when you beat the wooden spoon favourite and a severely inexperienced team by 2 points and it needs a goal line save in the dying moments
The Good
Toby and HH, Cogs is finding some form and the ball movement was better from last week but again v the wooden spoon favourite I dont think it carrys much weight
No injuries

The bad

Jesses goal kicking
Bottom 6 players being ineffectual, it shows how the depth is non existent with playing some who are barely if at all afl standard, Kennedy needs more impact, Hamilton and Peatling need more games, Not sure on XOH he is a trier but if it was a final I would have no confidence in him
Coaches please play 2 rucks, they are making opposition rucks look like stars as Flynn is another trier but Reeves and his hitouts almost won the game for the Hawks and made Worpel look like he could play

Hopefully a good week on the track and good recovery
Why play Briggs?
So both our rucks can get smashed?
I don't understand people wanting to play Briggs AT ALL.
He doesn't dominate the VFL (yes sadly I watch it), he's not 'Knocking the door down'. I think he's just the only other option.
Jesse, Himmel and Cadman is a good mix.
In the preseason...Kingsley said it could take 6-10 weeks for the game plan to stick and I think that's what's happening.
Add Bedford and Binga and our forward line is starting to take shape.

Why play Briggs?
He doesn't dominate the VFL (yes sadly I watch it), he's not 'Knocking the door down'. I think he's just the only other option.
In the preseason...Kingsley said it could take 6-10 weeks for the game plan to stick and I think that's what's happening.
Was it just me or did our big trio up front not get in each others way as much this week?

Last edited:

Why play Briggs?

We can just have different opinions on this and I just see a need for a 2nd ruck as Briggs needs more exposure to a higher level and he has been performing at VFL level for several seasons and he is no Max Gawn but he just needs to match up on Darcy Fort this week and create a contest and tackle and block

In all likelihood it wont happen but it would be good to see 2 rucks at some stage this season

Was it just me or did our big trio up front not get in each others way as much this week?
Maybe, would have to see a larger sample size and not just the game against Hawthorn who are not great in KPD area, Frost is solid but not someone you want taking the best matchup every week and DGB is quite bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back