Player Watch 32 Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am reading with interest a lot of re writing of Clokes history. Out of form for years, flat track bully, will be at Hawthorn next year etc etc etc. You can often find what you want in stats but I thought I would check out how Trav has played against the Hawks since our flag year of 2010 in a time when the Hawks have dominated the competition like few teams in history and we have been their bunny, last winning against them in 2011

I guess a common perception would be Trav has struggled and probably saved his best for he likes of Brisbane or the Blues through that time. Looking at the reality I reckon Hawks might really favour having a dip at Trav

2011 R11 16 disp, 13 kicks, 12 marks, 3 goals 3 behinds
2011 PF 19 disp, 13 kicks, 11, marks, 3 goals, 3 b
2012 R1 18d, 15k, 11m, 2g, 3b
2012 R12 10d, 7k, 2m, 1g, 1b
2012 QF 16d, 13k, 8m, 6g, 1b
2013 R3 18d, 15k, 12m, 5g, 3b
2013 R21 11d, 8k, 7m, 3g, 1b
2014 R14 17d, 13k, 10m, 5g, 1b
2015 R14 20d, 16k, 11m, 1g, 4b

Average for 9 matches is 16.1d, 13k, 8.9m, 3.2g, 2.2p

Interesting those average are miles above his career averages and also in each category better the his best average for that stat in any season of his career. Just puts a different slant on the idea of Cloke as a flat track bully.

Last edited:
Very interesting to see how he goes.

He doesn't need to kick a bag but if he isn't going after every ball like his life depends on it he won't be at Collingwood much longer

Am reading with interest a lot of re writing of Clokes history. Out of form for years, flat track bully, will be at Hawthorn next year etc etc etc. You can often find what you want in stats but I thought I would check out how Trav has played against the Hawks since our flag year of 2010 in a time when the Hawks have dominated the competition like few teams in history and we have been their bunny, last winning against them in 2011

I guess a common perception would be Trav has struggled and probably saved his best for he likes of Brisbane or the Blues through that time. Looking at the reality I reckon Hawks might really favour having a dip at Trav

Interesting those average are miles above his career averages and also in each category better the his best average for that stat in any season of his career. Just puts a different slant on the idea of Cloke as a flat rack bully.
He's not a flat track bully, he is NOW an out of form inaccurate liability. From 2010 to 2013, he was a brute in the contest whilst inaccurate, he got enough shots on goal to have a positive impact.

He's not a flat track bully, he is NOW an out of form inaccurate liability. From 2010 to 2013, he was a brute in the contest whilst inaccurate, he got enough shots on goal to have a positive impact.

A few have characterised him that way

2015 interests me because in my opinion he was having a good, not great season before he got injured. Where do you see his form as being so bad in 2015?

2014 I think it was pretty well accepted he carried injury through that year so has to be considered also

Interesting those average are miles above his career averages and also in each category better the his best average for that stat in any season of his career. Just puts a different slant on the idea of Cloke as a flat track bully.
Thanks saves me going through it. Watched the Hawthorn game highlights, everyone's radar was off that day,hence I didn't register his 1.4 . Cloke played further up the ground which explains his high disposal count and his long distance misses. He had a great don't argue & goal from the Eddie Betts pocket though.

A few have characterised him that way

2015 interests me because in my opinion he was having a good, not great season before he got injured. Where do you see his form as being so bad in 2015?
The tipping point should have come once finals were out of the question and his inaccuracy was still shocking and shots on goal had reduced drastically. I guess the common theme to my issue with him is inaccuracy and he needed to be getting a lot of shots on goal to be worthwhile.

If he always felt safe in team selection, where is the compulsion to try something different to improve at least one aspect of his game?

Do you know Cloke on a personal level? you seem to be very protective of him.
No, It's just an opinion. Would you be bagging out Pendlebury if he was in a similar situation? Treloar? Swan? No.

It's just bullcrap you go after him and make crap about him being "already gone"

The tipping point should have come once finals were out of the question and his inaccuracy was still shocking and shots on goal had reduced drastically. I guess the common theme to my issue with him is inaccuracy and he needed to be getting a lot of shots on goal to be worthwhile.

If he always felt safe in team selection, where is the compulsion to try something different to improve at least one aspect of his game?
So when he was injured against WCE early in the 1st Q we were still well and truly in finals contention, still in the 8. So you wouldn't have dropped him before that? He came back late in the season for 2 games and then was rested for the final 2 games because of injury recovery. So the only match that fits your criteria was one match late in the season, the game he came back from injury after. Think your argument would be more compelling if you wanted to drop him earlier. There was really no point dropping him after one game back late in the season when he was rested one game later anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, It's just an opinion. Would you be bagging out Pendlebury if he was in a similar situation? Treloar? Swan? No.

It's just bullcrap you go after him and make crap about him being "already gone"

Not bagging anyone just telling the board the information I got from inside the club today.

So when he was injured against WCE early in the 1st Q we were still well and truly in finals contention, still in the 8. So you wouldn't have dropped him before that? He came back late in the season for 2 games and then was rested for the final 2 games because of injury recovery. So the only match that fits your criteria was one match late in the season, the game he came back from injury after. Think your argument would be more compelling if you wanted to drop him earlier. There was really no point dropping him after one game back late in the season when he was rested one game later anyway.
I wanted him dropped in 2014. How much more compelling should I be? He had a flaw in his game that has cost us and the last 3 seasons he hasn't been a positive to the team structure. I can understand if they think he could be the difference whilst the season is live for us. But once dead, send him off to have a think about it.

Hope Trav plays a blinder. As always, best outcome is the players we have play at the level they are capable of to achieve success.
EFA.
In a way I am curious, almost excited, to see how Cox and Cloke both go. Could be some interesting match up problems for Port .
If Cloke p*sses in 5 goals unopposed in the goal square , it won't silence the critics.

EFA.
In a way I am curious, almost excited, to see how Cox and Cloke both go. Could be some interesting match up problems for Port .
If Cloke p*sses in 5 goals unopposed in the goal square , it won't silence the critics.
And if Cox gets a couple more of the free kicks he's missed the last few weeks when the Port defenders s**t themselves and grab him before the ball arrives, could really put the cat amongst the Power pigeons.

"Send a message" on Bigfooty and especially this board is the new buzzword.

Its like the word "journey" on a reality TV show or "hero of the dish" on a cooking show

Makes me want to vote Trump so I can buy a gun!!!
Always makes me laugh that apparently dropping people is the only way coaches have open to them to communicate complex coaching messages to players.

Always makes me laugh that apparently dropping people is the only way coaches have open to them to communicate complex coaching messages to players.

I dont mind him being dropped (in hindsight) but it wasnt for the purpose of "sending a message", it was because we were losing and something needed to be done, especially given Cox was banging the door down.

It worked, we started winning. Now Cox's form has waned and Moore has got injured. So Cloke is back. Simple.

Cloke wasnt terrible before being dropped and he wasnt great after being dropped. I expect to see a good ordinary game from Cloke and hope he will steadily build up his form from there.

But I hate the cliche "sending a message". Its moronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back