Aleksander Emelianenko!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Furious One

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2002
Altona South
I want to talk about Aleksander Emelianenko and about his possible move to the UFC. Now, it doesn't take someone well educated to realize that the UFC heavyweight division extremely lacks quality fighters. I mean, you have Sylvia, Arlovski, Mir, Monson and Vera, that’s about it, really. If you compare that to PRIDE's heavyweight division, it is a joke to be quite honest. The level of quality is very far apart.

Aleks has publicly stated that he wants to fight in the UFC for various reasons. Obviously one is the fact that he would never be able to challenge for the Heavyweight title in PRIDE in the foreseeable future as his brother holds it. I'm wondering how you guys think he will go in the UFC and whether or not he would be able to take Sylvia.

I'm of the opinion that he could beat Sylvia, as Sylvia is very sloppy with his strikes, while Aleks is much more direct and obviously far quicker, which leads me to believe he would be able to expose Sylvia quite easily. Not to mention the fact that Sylvia is border line useless on the ground, while at least Aleks has some ground skills.

I understand that he lost to Werdum a couple of days a go, but does it really affect much? What do you guys think about the possible move to America? Would he run through the UFC heavyweights like it is nobodies business or will he produce mixed results and not be a major threat?

He'd definetly be a force, But that said he wouldnt be the Fedor of the UFC. Even though he has great sambo credentials(Has beaten Fedor several times) hes been tapped a few times now but if he can rectify his sub defence and takedown defence he can be really dangerous with his quick hands.

I have a feeling if a UFC deal falls through he may go into pro boxing, hes been offered alot of fights and has trained with De La Hoya, His hands are very sharp, we saw that against Morias i think it was.

He'd definetly be a force, But that said he wouldnt be the Fedor of the UFC. Even though he has great sambo credentials(Has beaten Fedor several times) hes been tapped a few times now but if he can rectify his sub defence and takedown defence he can be really dangerous with his quick hands.

I have a feeling if a UFC deal falls through he may go into pro boxing, hes been offered alot of fights and has trained with De La Hoya, His hands are very sharp, we saw that against Morias i think it was.

I agree with the bit in bold.

I think he may have trouble attaining a Visa for the USA due to his criminal record (5yrs in the slammer for armed hold up). This, I beleive is the major thing that will seriously stand in his way towards wearing the UFC heavyweight gold belt.

I agree with the bit in bold.

I think he may have trouble attaining a Visa for the USA due to his criminal record (5yrs in the slammer for armed hold up). This, I beleive is the major thing that will seriously stand in his way towards wearing the UFC heavyweight gold belt.

Just take one look at his body. Those tatts are all Rusian Maffia. The chances of him getting a visa are practically zero.

Just take one look at his body. Those tatts are all Rusian Maffia. The chances of him getting a visa are practically zero.

Pretty much, although i read an interview recently wher he strongly rejects this....it even had a breakdown of his tatts and what they symbolise. I will try and find it and post the link

Yeah I know, I think it wsa posted on Fedors site. That they where Mafia tatts was always the roumor though. But I'd believe his word over the roumor mill.

Yeah I know, I think it wsa posted on Fedors site. That they where Mafia tatts was always the roumor though. But I'd believe his word over the roumor mill.

absolutely. All being said though, I prey he makes his way to the UFC. Their heavyweight division is pretty thin at the moment.

Mir has lost it, Monson never really stood a chance, Cheik doesnt have the ground game and Vera has'nt fought anyone of decent quality (i am not counting Mir as he is a different fighter now).

At Least Aleksander would be able to stand and trade with Sylvia much like Arlovski did (albeit with more success hopefully)

Yeah, they're Mafia tattoos. Each point on the stars represent the years he has spent in prison.

Not much more has happened since he was rumored to be heading to the UFC, unfortunately. I have a feeling that it is in fact because of his visa issues. He is fighting in Russia on the BODOG card early next year, but if the UFC get him in, along with Mirko and with the addition of Herring, things will be looking very bright for 2007.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back