Hoaxes Ameristralia?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a system that massively favours the employer.

Spot on.

It moves the burden of the salaries from the employer to the patron, which for the country as a whole I'd argue is a good thing. It means that entrepreneurs can take more chances as their overheads are down and there is more innovation.

On a individual level the effects are quite varied, there are many people who have life long careers as servers, having a financially secure life and then there are those who work long hours for little reward. A career that definitely favors the good looking and/or confident.

I'd like to see it in Australia without the obligation. You should tip when the service is good and have the option to not tip if you thought it was poor. I've seen waitstaff confront people who didn't tip and the patron explain why they didnt tip, issue was resolved and everyone was better for it.

+ tax. I hate.

I don't want to live in a country where a $2 doughnut and a $3 bottle of water costs $5.47 (no rounding)
Well if we adopted American prices the do ought would cost 78c and the water $1.15. The decimal prices would be s**t, but the prices would be a shitload better than what we already pay

Spot on.

It moves the burden of the salaries from the employer to the patron, which for the country as a whole I'd argue is a good thing.
But absolutely disempowers the worker.

I'd like to see it in Australia without the obligation. You should tip when the service is good and have the option to not tip if you thought it was poor.
That's what we do already. It is how it used to be in the US.

I'd like to see it in Australia without the obligation. You should tip when the service is good and have the option to not tip if you thought it was poor. I've seen waitstaff confront people who didn't tip and the patron explain why they didnt tip, issue was resolved and everyone was better for it.

I think as long as the obligation does not become culture.

I would eat in a restaurant 2 or 3 times a day and have special dietary requirements. The special dietary requirements mean I need to order meals not on the menu. As such, I tip waiters circa $20 because I want the same waiter each time so don't have to explain exactly what I want/ need every time.

I'm fine with tipping because I am effectively paying for special service and I can afford it. However, there were times in life when a waiter would earn more than me. So I hope tipping does not become an obligation for ordinary service.

I guess, like tax, if you can afford it you should pay and contribute and help others less fortunate. Hey, we all need help at different times in life.

That said, service in the US and Europe as a general rule is far better than Australia. Egalitarianism and master servant relationship are contradictory. Is it possible to get better service and keep egalitarianism?

In my experaince food wasn't much cheaper, which suprised me.
Fast food and groceries weren't much cheaper, however I found restaurants, dinners and drinks anywhere were a heap cheaper.

Fast food and groceries weren't much cheaper, however I found restaurants, dinners and drinks anywhere were a heap cheaper.
maybe it was because I was in San Fransico, but by the time I added tips, it worked out to be about the same as id expect to pay in Melbourne, if not a bit more.

The pattern is of a rise in the number of nations, not a fall.

I think we will see the rise of unions like the EU and the rise of more nations. There will be plenty of hiccups along the way including the fragmentation of unions.

The benefit of more local government and smaller nations is obvious. However, the benefits of larger markets, one currency and one language is very powerful.

I think we will see the rise of unions like the EU and the rise of more nations. There will be plenty of hiccups along the way including the fragmentation of unions.

The benefit of more local government and smaller nations is obvious. However, the benefits of larger markets, one currency and one language is very powerful.

I think the EU is on the verge of breaking up.

I think the EU is on the verge of breaking up.

it would make sense to have a northern EU and a Southern EU.

The cultures of Nerthlands, Gremany, UK, Denmark, Northern Italy, Northern France, Nordic nations, Austria and Switzerland in one league.

The rest can form a second tier league. The difference between the cultures of the north and south is too great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not sustainable to have your fiscal policy controlled by the government of a country, and your monetary policy by the ECB. Both must be linked.

The answer isn't found in centralising fiscal policy with bureaucrats in Brussels.

Which means the only answer can be the eventual abolition of the Euro.

Having common, or linked immigration, trade and customs policies would be good though.

It is not sustainable to have your fiscal policy controlled by the government of a country, and your monetary policy by the ECB. Both must be linked.

The answer isn't found in centralising fiscal policy with bureaucrats in Brussels.

Which means the only answer can be the eventual abolition of the Euro.

Having common, or linked immigration, trade and customs policies would be good though.

Agree

I think we are seeing a similar issue here in Australia. We have basket case states being propped up by successful states. We have a Brussels, of our own, dragging the whole country down to a lowest common denominator.

What would work is a Brussels setting monetary policy and collecting the revenue but not spending a single cent. Rather, just distributing the revenue to the various states or nations to spend and distribute.

Essentially have one group managing the fiscal revenue and monetary policy but leaving fiscal expense policy to local government.

it would make sense to have a northern EU and a Southern EU.

The cultures of Nerthlands, Gremany, UK, Denmark, Northern Italy, Northern France, Nordic nations, Austria and Switzerland in one league.

The rest can form a second tier league. The difference between the cultures of the north and south is too great.

I find this intersting. Why should one be "second tear"? Its like your implying that these cultures are "lesser" for some reason.

I find this intersting. Why should one be "second tear"? Its like your implying that these cultures are "lesser" for some reason.

The reason it is falling apart is there is a two tier economy, thus the first and second was simply a reference to economic success. The successful ones are generally in the north and the less successful ones in the south.

That's fine, the cultures are different and value different things.

We can call them north and south rather than first and second but that could get confusing if Estonia was considered south.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I just thought it was ineteresting that the post referred to culture instead. Carry on. :)

yeh,

just had a re-read of my post and could see how it could be interpreted as something different to what was meant.

cheers.

maybe it was because I was in San Fransico, but by the time I added tips, it worked out to be about the same as id expect to pay in Melbourne, if not a bit more.
If you are talking around Union square that was most of the most expensive places I went to in the US

If you are talking around Union square that was most of the most expensive places I went to in the US

lol, that's exactly where I was. I attended a conference at the Moscone centre and my hotel was next to union square.

Ok, I'll gladly take your word for it since I'm going back for a holiday around the US soon XD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back