Australian Network axed in Budget

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went away a few weeks ago and it was a lifesaver.

How can the AFL say they are trying to expand the game then force other countries to pay to watch? You'd think they'd be trying to make it more accessible. Very greedy.

Look, you can have an extra fighter jet or two on top of the two dozen we've already ordered, or you can have the Australia Network, a thriving public broadcaster, affordable education available for the disadvantaged, legal services for minorities and the poor, world class broadband, humane refugee treatment, and possibly forty-seven other things I haven't time to type out. Your choice buddy.

Well the tender process twice stated it should have gone to Sky. That doesn't mean the AFL coverage would have been automatically transferred however honestly it was the only program that drew an audience. The Aus network as a whole was pretty s**t.

Will miss the lazy Sundays spent in The Prince of Wales in little India starting at 11am. Good times.

Someone will pick it up.

images

Have a guess.................

Look, you can have an extra fighter jet or two on top of the two dozen we've already ordered, or you can have the Australia Network, a thriving public broadcaster, affordable education available for the disadvantaged, legal services for minorities and the poor, world class broadband, humane refugee treatment, and possibly forty-seven other things I haven't time to type out. Your choice buddy.
You want those things, you pay for them. Not with my tax money, peanut.

try living overseas, away from family and friends, this is the self ish factor,,,as another poster has said the netowrk does great things for australians overseas and helping educate in areas and bridge the gap in host countries......

The AFL needs to work on the actual game before it even considers expanding overseas.
China ain't buying into this product.

Always good to watch a game when overseas in Bali/Thailand or other popular tourist destination in Asia. Not to mention catch up with the news.

If it was 10 years 223mil then that's 23 mil a year or a dollar per Australian per year. Doesn't seem too excessive to me in a multi billion dollar economy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the government's already gone and ordered the fighter jets. Did you tell that to them?
The order confirmed by the current government was the SAME as the one the previous had slated to buy. Don't be a sucker for party spin from any side. Hail the new King, same as the old King!

OK, back to the footy.
Or the topic at hand. And axing the network seems like an act of petty retribution against the ABC since the previous tender process was botched. Defninely a negative either way for overseas footy fans.

If it was 10 years 223mil then that's 23 mil a year or a dollar per Australian per year. Doesn't seem too excessive to me in a multi billion dollar economy.
Exactly. Heaven forbid they should touch family trusts, or super rorts, or neg gearing on pre-existing dwellings, or offshoring, all of which cost us rather more than 23 mil a year.

Did you even read his post? Do you even know what taxes are and how they are supposed to be used?

When was the last time Australia was even involved in aerial warfare? It was probably WWII. We dont need an increase in military spending where millions of dollars leave our shores all the while this government is making massive and idiotic cuts across the board.

If you're of voting age, can you do everyone a favour and just not when the next election comes around? You can even call it doing service for your country if you like.

Australian Network is horrible imo, remember me and my uncle were laughing our asses off to one of the programs.

Though it's a good medium for non-australians to learn about the culture tbh and the weird accent lol

But the government's already gone and ordered the fighter jets. Did you tell that to them?
Also handed out 8 billion of our dollars to the reserve bank without them asking for it in the hope that the Australian dollar would drop... It didn't. Thanks Joe!

Australian Network is horrible imo, remember me and my uncle were laughing our asses off to one of the programs.
I was on Christmas Island many, many years ago (long before it had seared itself into the nation's consciousness, as they say), turned on the telly, and it was the Australia Network. Showing... sheepdog trials.

And I have to say, I found it utterly compelling.

It'll be re-jigged and siphoned off to Murdoch, and returned as a subscription service.

If the Libs get through the next election I expect the anti-siphoning will be significantly watered down, allowing for FOX monopolise the AFL coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back