Bluemour XXXV

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are going to deal on Hollands, the deal will be done tomorrow...

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office
Big, big call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin hasn't gotten close to SOS's picks trades yet.
Doesn't appear to have attempted yet, we'll see what he can create this year.

Exactly. The much lauded 2015 haul was only possible because of the great work done securing the draft hand in the first place.

He also drafted in the spine whilst preserving our SC at the same time. Austin has been given the luxury to splash cash on non-key position players so if he does make a mistake he can easily fix it by either drafting them in or finding them somewhere else on the cheap. For example, Zac Williams recruitment has been a big blunder but you can find back flankers to cushion the blow like Cincotta or draft one in like Cowan.

Zac Williams was recruited to be a midfielder for us

Hasn't worked out that way yet

Apart from the 2015 Draft (Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, J.Silvagni), only 3 of the 22 players drafted under Stephen Silvagni remain at Carlton - Tom De Koning, Sam Walsh & Brodie Kemp. 8 of 27 in total. Terrible record.
I’m not sure a 30% strike rate is bad as you think it is. I think SOS’ ability is questionable, sure. But statistically I don’t think that’s too far from the average.

For example, you have a 15-20% chance of drafting an AA player with picks 6 through 20. SOS is 2/2.

Or, beyond pick 50, you’ve only got a 25% chance of drafting a 50 gamer.

Last edited:
Apart from the 2015 Draft (Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, J.Silvagni), only 3 of the 22 players drafted under Stephen Silvagni remain at Carlton - Tom De Koning, Sam Walsh & Brodie Kemp. 8 of 27 in total. Terrible record.

And apart from when he drafted Buddy / Roughy / Mitchell / Hodge / etc. Chris Pelchin was terrible.

SOS brought in the list strategy to strip it all back and delivered the spine of the current team via the draft. You can't trade for guys of the level of Curnow / Weiters / Harry / etc. They almost never come up for trade and if they do they wind up at Geelong or a reigning premier. Far easier to bring in some mids/flankers - as Austin has done - to complete the list build.

So yeah - except when he built the entire spine of our team including 2 Coleman medalists SOS was terrible.

Cant include Weitering and Walsh in that IMO. Picked themselves. So more like 6.
List rebuild strategy was good tho. Austin just came in at the right time to carry it thru

On SM-A235F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cant include Weitering and Walsh in that IMO. Picked themselves. So more like 6.
List rebuild strategy was good tho. Austin just came in at the right time to carry it thru

Of course you count weitering and Walsh. Plenty arguing for schache over weitering at the time. Plenty also argued about others over Walsh including lucosios whilst others wanted him to trade down.

He got them right. That counts as a win.

Are we changing the narrative in here from our trading to SoS for a reason?
I mean we could not have done any worse with today's trade, but starting to point the finger at SoS for our current trading is another level.

Of course you count weitering and Walsh. Plenty arguing for schache over weitering at the time. Plenty also argued about others over Walsh including lucosios whilst others wanted him to trade down.

He got them right. That counts as a win.
We must remember it a bit differently. Thought it was 1, 2 Weitering Schache (not even that close) all year, and Walsh was touted as standout all year too. Trained at Geelong and was considered a seasoned AFL player at 17 (also not close)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must remember it a bit differently. Thought it was 1, 2 Weitering Schache (not even that close) all year, and Walsh was touted as standout all year too. Trained at Geelong and was considered a seasoned AFL player at 17 (also not close)

Walsh was definitely the favourite but only 7 of 13 other recruiters would have gone for him (if you believe this):

Who knows if we'd been better stocked in midfield we may have gone another way. Either way it wasn't the toughest call but you can't just write it off.

Plenty were claiming the Weitering selection was a fail when he had his struggles in year 2. Look at McGrath, McCartin, Boyd, Watts, etc. - no pick is a guarantee so excluding them from the discussion is just slanting the argument to suit yourself.

Quick somebody alert the mods!

There's some sort of error happening on this thread.

It appears the list management thread has slipped into this thread.

I came for rumors and now I'm getting success rates and comparisons between SOS and Austin.

Argh! Someone drop a juicy one.

Quick somebody alert the mods!

There's some sort of error happening on this thread.

It appears the list management thread has slipped into this thread.

I came for rumors and now I'm getting success rates and comparisons between SOS and Austin.

Argh! Someone drop a juicy one.

THE PORTALS HAVE BEEN BREACHED

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought that I'd have a quick look to see how that stacked up against Collingwood just to get a feel for how good or bad it actually is.

For the draft periods of 2015 - 2019 inclusive Collingwood drafted 26 players in the main draft and rookie draft. (17 main draft and nine in the rookie draft) .

Of those 4 are still on their list, 3 from the main draft (J. Daicos, Murphy and Quaynor) and one from their rookies (Mihocek)..

For the purposes of fairness we gave gad mire high draft picks so our strike rate should be better. However if you are trying to make a point uou need to give some comparisons for that point to be relevant.

The examples you use of Collingwood and Geelong were at different stages of the "cycle".

Collingwood traded in Aish, Treloar, Howe, WHE, Dunn, Mayne, Wells Beams, Roughead and Cameron during those years. It's a bit hard to draft brilliantly at the same time. Made a GF in 2018 doing so, and then the flag this year.

We stripped right back and created as many high picks as we possibly could. When you do that, nailing most of them is what it's all about. What happens with North will be interesting to compare.

The examples you use of Collingwood and Geelong were at different stages of the "cycle".

Collingwood traded in Aish, Treloar, Howe, WHE, Dunn, Mayne, Wells Beams, Roughead and Cameron during those years. It's a bit hard to draft brilliantly at the same time. Made a GF in 2018 doing so, and then the flag this year.

We stripped right back and created as many high picks as we possibly could. When you do that, nailing most of them is what it's all about. What happens with North will be interesting to compare.
Agree but I did actually state that we had used a lot lore early picks and that it wasn't really like for like.

It was only to provide a bit of context.

But glad to see Austin has fixed a lot of these mistakes
Cerra
Saad
Hewett
Hollands (hopefully x2)
Binns
Cowan
Motlop
Acres
Durdin
Carroll
Pittonet
Boyd
Cincotta

All very good quality pick ups.

If you were to score Silvagni for his picks trades v Austin then it’s hands down Austin by about 500% better.
Have always loved and still love SOS but as the years pass his record as our list manager gets bleaker and bleaker.

Did our spine proud thank god!

But let’s be honest that and Martin are the standouts with way overs for Williams and McGov.

The rest, so far, pretty much busts …. JSOS too and a few others could still prove themselves.

Austin has been awesome with an amazing record to be fair.

Have always loved and still love SOS but as the years pass his record as our list manager gets bleaker and bleaker.

Did our spine proud thank god!

But let’s be honest that and Martin are the standouts with way overs for Williams and McGov.

The rest, so far, pretty much busts …. JSOS too and a few others could still prove themselves.

Austin has been awesome with an amazing record to be fair.
Austin brought in Williams. Same trade period as Saad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back