Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Just a theory, but does anyone else think we are throwing this guy to the wolves by having him line-up in defence? Granted he is likely to be a half back flanker in years to come, I think we could make his transition to AFL much easier by giving him a role on the wing or elsewhere. For mine, we seem to be askinga little too much of him. I don't think Conca benefitted from the experience of playing deep in defenece last year, I don't want to see us make the same mistake with this kid!

The pick we used to pick him hasn't been that successfull in the past , uncompromised drafts , especially early in those picks careers . He is far from ready , however we have little options and given he played round 1 he should be given a few games on end .

In a way, yes, but it's also good for his learning and I think last week and last night for the first quarter he was also out of his depth but then something clicked for him and he ended up having a decent game (for a second gamer).

Unlike Conca, Ellis has actually played in defense for much of his junior career (correct me if I'm wrong) so we are playing him in postion, we just have to persevere for now as he gets acclimatised rather than molly-coddling him in an easier role.

TBH I reckon he was one of our poorest last night.

I didn't go to the Carlton game so it's hard to comment, but last night he got a bit of a belting defensively against guys like Beams and Vasolo. I was quite frustrating with him by the end of it. I don't recall him winning a one-on-one contest but would probably need to watch the replay on TV.

Offensively he was good, but like alot of our other players was too stagnate with his ball movement.

After giving him a bit of a bake last week I thought Morris was very good last night fwiw

Both Ellis and Conca, starting their careers in the backline will give them that defensive instinct when they move into the midfield rotation. The only knock on Martin is he doesn't run as hard back, these two players are getting this instinct developed while they do their AFL apprenticeships.

If they progress to the midfield, we have players prepared to do their role for the team and earn their spot. If they remain on the half back line, hopefully we will have some damaging runners.

Either way, in terms of development it's a win win.

Just a theory, but does anyone else think we are throwing this guy to the wolves by having him line-up in defence? Granted he is likely to be a half back flanker in years to come, I think we could make his transition to AFL much easier by giving him a role on the wing or elsewhere. For mine, we seem to be askinga little too much of him. I don't think Conca benefitted from the experience of playing deep in defenece last year, I don't want to see us make the same mistake with this kid!

Goldy.

These day I think it is something you have to do. All the recruiters say most of the best junior footballers are the ones that only run one way. Ellis (and Conca) are about 182cm. I doubt there has every been a 182cm small defender/midfielder who has every been drafted based on their stopping abilities - they simply don't get noticed by the recruiters.

We have had to teach guys like Deledio, Cotchin, Conca and now Ellis to be accountable.

I think because Dusty was so impressive offensively in his first two years it was probably a lesson that he missed, and that now looks pretty obvious.

God forbid an 18 year old playing his second game was among our worst.

"Throwing him to the wolves" hmm I dunno about that (although Conca v Milne last year - yes). It's not like Ellis got torn to shreds, and he's played against two great attacking teams. Needs to play most weeks, I think he will be a good player

Goldy.

These day I think it is something you have to do. All the recruiters say most of the best junior footballers are the ones that only run one way. Ellis (and Conca) are about 182cm. I doubt there has every been a 182cm small defender/midfielder who has every been drafted based on their stopping abilities - they simply don't get noticed by the recruiters.

We have had to teach guys like Deledio, Cotchin, Conca and now Ellis to be accountable.

I think because Dusty was so impressive offensively in his first two years it was probably a lesson that he missed, and that now looks pretty obvious.

Cheers mate ... like your reasoning! I am sure he will be the better for it. I am one who is pretty critical (often copping abuse) of Dustin martin not being defensive enough and doing enough against the better onballers. mayb a stint in defence would have been good for him!

I sat right on the boundary last night and watched both him and Morris closely.....

First of all they both attack the footy ferociously, both are hard bodies and both don't look at all intimidated by the physical demands of AFL footy. Both should play 22 games this year if they can replicate last nights performances

Ellis did get found out one-on-one a couple of times, particularly when the Pies kicked it long and he had to go up in the air against the strong performers Fasolo and Beams.
Along with Batchelor, Grimes and Rance though I thought they held up well overall as a unit, Newman was dissapointing though, again

Doesn't look ready for AFL, but I'm happy to play him. Should be a candidate for sub.

I agree. Has the tools.

Its a bit too much ball watching and i think sometimes he is pinching himself and is not sure how he found himself out there. We've been pretty blessed with Lids, Conca, Cotchin and Martin who have looked comfortable from day dot.

There was one bit of play where he backed himself to take on an opponent and got round him with ease burst through the middle and then instead of kicking long like we know he can to the hot spot he turned and kicked it out the great southern wing for a turn over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've played two very good teams, lets see how he goes against a less intense opposition. I reckon rising star nom. coming up for round 3.

Ellis was decent last night. Certainly the least of our worries are the likes of him, Conca and Morris, who were all very serviceable.
If they are playing like Jackson and Edwards after 7 years, then I give up.

Ellis has been excellent IMO. As long as Jackson and Edwards are playing in the same team, he is not being gifted games.

He doesn't get it as much as a 50+ game player might, but I reckon his disposal and decision-making has been spot on (apart from one or two late game kicks when he was literally out on his feet).

No doubt people have taken for granted quite a few basic possessions he has had, but these are the same things others are messing up (see above).

Conca was also very good last night, loved his game.

There were more reasons to us being within just 21 pts at the final siren last night than just Cotch, Lids, Rancey and Eeevan ;)

He seems mentally resilient enough to stick with. I see a few easier days at the office for him later in the season.

He played mid as a junior before being moved back at Calder last year. Jackson stated that long term we see him as a midfielder, for what that's worth. That he's getting a game is a huge knock against a guy like connors who can't even better an 18 yr old to claim a spot.

did you not see conca yesterday?? splendid performance. showed class.

decision to start Conca at HBF last year and pump games into him is looking inspired right now and so I reckon it is with Ellis. Will be firing nicely around 2013 I would think.

Looks solid and they will be trying to get as many games as possible into him as they did with Dusty , Conca and Batch.

Plenty of upside with this process with Ellis. Not fit enough to be playing through the middle yet but look forward to it. Morris is fit enough though.

We'll learn a hell of alot about these 2 in the coming weeks. The best thing is their attack in the ball.

Plenty of upside with this process with Ellis. Not fit enough to be playing through the middle yet but look forward to it.

Already one of the fittest at the club?? Think he came 2nd around the tan from memory.

But agree he is not ready for midfield, not up to the pace of the game yet.

Already one of the fittest at the club?? Think he came 2nd around the tan from memory.
Not exactly a true measure of football fitness. AFL footballers run the tan in around 13-14 mins, however the record is about 10 mins. He needs to develop the repeat sprinting needed at AFL level, not a steady pace for 4km.

Only a matter of belief for Brandon, he just looks so good with the ball in his hands. I think once he believes he belongs he will be a jet. Along with Morris in mind when you can you last think of a time when we had such promising small/medium defenders at the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back