Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

I looked at Allan really positively when when we drfted him. For supporters its hope, liking a look but not a mass of knowledge compared to the pros. Still we pick our favs

As they enter the 1st season a few of the really good ones take immediately to the AFL level, often top end picks but not always

A few more get a first year taste and show a bit but still need time

A few get a taste, a few games, but still have a way to go

By year 2 the ones who played year 1 oftenget more goes and by and large its the ones who are doing this who will end up being the stars of that draft. There are only about three from the top 20 in Allans draft who havent played senior footy.

So its not all gloom and doom but the hope the we may have snagged a really top end kid, a draft steal, have lowered and reality is Ed is becoming less likely to be a star but hopefully ends solid AFL. The group of kids who 1/4 way through their 2nd season and are still a fair way away from being selected in the top 23 become increasingly a group who doesn't make it.

Ed has time but I would really like to see him step up soon.

Edgar Allan Poe?

Edgar Allan Poe Boston GIF by Rob Jelinski Studios

I looked at Allan really positively when when we drfted him. For supporters its hope, liking a look but not a mass of knowledge compared to the pros. Still we pick our favs

As they enter the 1st season a few of the really good ones take immediately to the AFL level, often top end picks but not always

By year 2 the ones who played year 1 oftenget more goes and by and large its the ones who are doing this who will end up being the stars of that draft. There are only about three from the top 20 in Allans draft who havent played senior footy.

So its not all gloom and doom but the hope the we may have snagged a really top end kid, a draft steal, have lowered and reality is Ed is becoming less likely to be a star but hopefully ends solid AFL. The group of kids who 1/4 way through their 2nd season and are still a fair way away from being selected in the top 23 become increasingly a group who doesn't make it.

I’m confident he’ll turn out okay… and by that i mean a 100 game player

Just hard to see where it’s at for him at AFL level… when the coaching staff have clearly decided that they will squeeze every bit from the current line up in pursuit of a 2nd flag.

At another club he probably would’ve debuted by now

It seems injuries are the only way some of these kids will get a look in

I’d rather we blood some youth now… rather than expecting them to come in during finals and perform in a high pressure, big crowd game

Last edited:
I’m confident he’ll turn out okay… and by that i mean a 100 game player

Just hard to see where it’s at for him at AFL level… when the coaching staff have clearly decided that they will squeeze every bit from the current line up in pursuit of a 2nd flag.

At another club he probably would’ve debuted by now

It seems injuries are the only way some of these kids will get a look in

I’d rather we blood some youth now… rather than expecting them to come in during finals and perform in a high pressure, big crowd game
He's 19 for *s sake. Chill out

PieBeast
What’s so funny about the above?
I can't speak for piebeast but it made me laugh. You've gone from we have to play the kids because we're cooked to we have to play the kids because of finals and actually seem disappointed that the club is trying to win a premiership.

I remember when I was sick of transformers and wanted a new toy, so all good.

Fair appraisal.

Do you think Allan might have had more opportunities if he was drafted by another club?

I haven't seen much of the kid but it would be tough to break into a premiership side which bats so deep in his ideal position.

Perhaps we've also been spoiled by how easily N. Daicos slotted right in (and then made the AFL world his oyster).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair appraisal.

Do you think Allan might have had more opportunities if he was drafted by another club?

I haven't seen much of the kid but it would be tough to break into a premiership side which bats so deep in his ideal position.

Perhaps we've also been spoiled by how easily N. Daicos slotted right in (and then made the AFL world his oyster).
I don't think it's the strong team holding him out. At this stage, despite the attributes, he doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. He's got a fair way to go.

I don't think it's the strong team holding him out. At this stage, despite the attributes, he doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. He's got a fair way to go.
I watched him as best I could today on tv. And I think he just gets caught in between in no man’s land far too often. Running patterns/decision making is def off. He was either never close enough or 5m to close for link up. That’s what I saw anyways.

Ed Allan, mustt dominate every VFL game and get 30 touches (said every goose doing player assessments)

Don't have to Dominate to get a Game at VFL to get a AFL Game

Atm, he lacks physical power and burst. Not unusual for someone his size. I think he has what it takes but will just take a bit longer
I'd play him in defence for a while so he's involved in few more big moments where he has to go. ATM he just seems to cruise around getting some meaningless stats.

Fair appraisal.

I think he came really close to a debut last year but then got injured. His form has been building this year. but he'll need to be patient as it not yet at a stage where he's banging the door down. Happy to give the kid time in the VFL to continue developing his craft until his opportunity arises.

Atm, he lacks physical power and burst. Not unusual for someone his size. I think he has what it takes but will just take a bit longer

I'm not so sure about this. There was a moment late in the game where he was running through the centre, and for once he turned on the jets and blew past the player chasing him. Looked fantastic in that moment,. He's gotten in the habit of running in circles then getting into trouble, and having to do a wild handball to nobody.
What he really needs is to stand in front of the mirror and remind himself he's 194cm and almost ran the fastest 20m sprint ever. No running around packs, run through them. He just plays like he's a bit unsure of himself at the moment. I like sr36's idea of moving him back. Let him just run some straight lines out of defense and take the game on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back