Gavin Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

chinggis77

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Poor guy didn't have his own thread so here it is.

Its become a bit of a catchprase, but there is a bit of "Stephen Hill" in Gavin Roberts so you can definitely see why Lloyd liked him (see highlights below). Has great acceleration/speed and a penetrating left foot. Seems to have been susceptible to injury in the past which is what has held him back.

From AFL.Com

Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 13/03/91
Club: Norwood(SA)

Bio: Tall forward who produced some exceptional results at the draft combine. Has outstanding speed, power and agility, while his skills are also first-class.
His 2010 Draft Camp test results gave him 2.85s for 20m spring and a beep test of 13.1.

From Norwoods website

Gavin is a highly skilled player that also has good balance. He is capable of playing across the half back line to create and provide run, and is often thrown into the forward line when his team needs some goals kicked. We are certain that Gavin will develop into a very good senior footballer over the next 12 months providing he has a little bit of luck after managing to have some terrible injuries in the past.
Highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/220778/gavin-roberts-highlights/

Only downer seems to be this comment:

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Carlton because it is the only decent club.

Very happy to have this guy as my buddy for the year. Been watching him and talking him up for the past two seasons, so it's nice to have him at Fremantle.

He fits the exact profile of what we've targeted over the last two years, he has elite skills and the versatility to play all over the ground. I'm assuming Fremantle will look to develop him into that high half forward role, along the lines of how Fyfe played last year.

Personally, I'd like to see him play as a genuine wing though. I've always thought he was deceptively strong in the clearances, but until he bulks up more he will likely stick to being an outside player. The other area he needs to work on his definitely his endurance. Considering his hands and skills are already up there with the best, he can just focus on that area of his game for now.

Also, I'm not sure about a Stephen Hill comparison. Hill just has amazing agility, whereas Roberts is more one of those players who just seems to have time. I'd go for more of a faster Pendlebury/Mundy.

I'm happy with this guy too Chris. See him as a longer term investment than some of the other guys but definitely has a potentially big upside.

Also, I'm not sure about a Stephen Hill comparison. Hill just has amazing agility, whereas Roberts is more one of those players who just seems to have time. I'd go for more of a faster Pendlebury/Mundy.

The way he plays in that highlights clip is almost a replica for Isaac Smith, who went top 20 to the Hawks and who Lloyd/Harvey had stated they were keen on prior to the draft.

As Isaac Smith shows, some kids with the right athletic qualities etc can keep stepping up quite quickly if given the chance. Hopefully Roberts is the same.

I always thought Smith was overrated prior to the draft. Just wasn't worth a top 20 pick for me. More well rounded and skilled players with just as much potential (for example Pitt) were available.

I know who I would pick between Smith in the top 20 and Roberts in the rookie draft.

Cheers, I can't help but think of McPharlin as being in the same boat early in his career. Enormous potential but being dragged down by debilitating injuries. Hopefully Gav can get over them the same way with us and make his presence felt in time.

He just bought my sister-in-laws car apparently! I was so annoyed she didnt call me at the time, I could have met him and had a yarn. My brother went out to say hi too...reckons he's hot! hehe.....

Whats the story on this kid? Did not play on the weekend and is not on the injury list.

Information please!

Well 12 months on we are asking the same question. He's picked up 31 possessions and kicked 4 goals the last 2 weeks in the reserves for Perth but isn't named in either league or reserves this week. Injured again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back